Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: "Red Rock" Shrimp Trap

Default "Red Rock" Shrimp Trap

Anyone know how to make a wood shrimp trap to catch red rock shrimp? I've looked everywhere online and can't seem to come up with a design. Also, ANY information regarding these local shrimp, where and how to to catch them is appreciated. thanks Wayne

Default Re: "Red Rock" Shrimp Trap

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Palmer
    Anyone know how to make a wood shrimp trap to catch red rock shrimp? I've looked everywhere online and can't seem to come up with a design. Also, ANY information regarding these local shrimp, where and how to to catch them is appreciated. thanks Wayne

Red Rock shrimp
    California spot Prawns

back in the early 80s we ran 100 traps a string, 25 strings.

we took Fathom Plus traps and lined em with a plastic screen. fathom Plus traps are made for lobsters/crab. Anyways,, the spot prawns live in about 60 to 90 fathoms in rockey zones.
    the southern end of Catalina Island and the back side of san clem was very good fishing.

Off San Diego is the nine mile bank, that bank holds pretty well too. You need to find a hard bottom, in 60 PLUS feet. If you start pulling up slime eels, you got sandy bottom and no good for what your hunting. Small Pink Sea urchins means you on the edge of the prawns.

Make sure you have all your permits and that you have your numbers on the boat so DFG can read em. These prawns are very deep and thats one reason why only a few in california fish em. No place to store the ground tackle when pulling gear. the set up used is like that on the show about crab fishing in Alaska, same type of set up only on a smaller scale.

Hope this helps you out..

Bluefin2na - thanks for the info. I'm looking for a way to catch red rock shrimp to use for bait. That was a hellofa operation you had there. I think your idea of using a lining is what I will do - good idea. Why didn't I think of that. thanks, Wayne

I have 1,500 pounds of this stuff frozen in 5 pound boxes if you want to try some, PM me

I fish for recreation only, but please send me more informaton. I may be able to job that 1500lbs out for you. waypalm@yahoo.com