Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SPITFIRE 1 13 08

Default SPITFIRE 1 13 08

Hey Guys,

First of all, I’m exhausted, fished both days this weekend, so please forgive me if the report is shorter and not as detailed as the others. I am sure the boyz will add to this later, along with more pics!!

Once again, decided to do another get together on the Spitfire out of Redondo Beach Sport fishing. I arrived at the landing at 5:00 am, I was the first of our group to arrive. Spoke awhile to John and his son and waited for the rest of the group to arrive. Slowly but surely, everyone arrived that was supposed to, everyone purchased their tickets, and we headed to the South parking lot to unload our gear and wait for the boat to get back from last nights Deep Hole trip. Boat showed up at around 5:45 am, they unloaded their passengers, finished the boat up, and loaded our group along with the other passengers on board. Our group today was (forgive me, I forgot a few names):

Myself
    One_leg
    Ray Lopez
    Funjunkie
    K3vin Kim
    Osiito
    Cappo
    Gmoney
    Cat Addict and his friend
    DavidE and his friend
    Ross
    LA Smoker

Crew today was Capt Craig, Morgan, Derek, and Bobby. Left the dock, Craig did his safety speech, and let us know the game plan for today. We were going to head up the line, where they had an excellent bite on bass yesterday. Plan of attack kind of switched up on us. Normally, we have been fishing 1 ½ - 2 oz lead heads with either a live of dead squid pinned on. Today, Craig told us that on Saturday, the bass bit better with a plastic on the lead head, with strips of squid on them. I found this out late last night, thanks Jay Lopez for the call, I appreciate it bro!! So, the guys that I had numbers for, I texted them the heads up, and the rest I was hoping would have some plastics already in their arsenal. So today, I tied on a green swim bait on a 2 oz lead head, onto 25 lb test mono. Those that wanted to eat, if they hadn’t already, ordered their breakfasts, and finished rigging up their gear, in hopes of catching some sand and calico bass.

Well, we get up the coast a ways, and the wind is blowing pretty good, so Craig informed us that the area he wanted to fish was going to be tough to fish due to the wind. He turned the boat around, and headed back into the bay so we would have nicer fishing conditions. Arrived at the first spot a short time later, dropped the hook, and started fishing. I believe we were in appx 45 feet of water (nice). We started to pick at the bass fairly well. It took them awhile to get going (FYI guys, there are times when you have to SIT at a spot for awhile in order to get the bass starting to bite. They don’t always go WFO as soon as you drop the anchor. Be patient, it usually works out. Terry was on the boat today with us (GREAT fishing with you again Terry), and, as usual, he started SLAYING the bass. There were another few regs on the boat also, who also started slaying the bass. For a awhile after they first started to bite better, they were the only ones catching. I was wondering what they were doing different, so I took a look at their plastics of choice. They were using a kind of “tube” plastic, in a chartreuse color. I don’t remember what they were called, but you cant find them just anywhere. After awhile of watching, our group finally started to catch bass. Of COURSE, what do I hook for my first fish??? A NICE sheephead, which, as I am sure most of you know, are OUT OF SEASON!!! Grrrrrr!!!!! So we released it unharmed. Funjunkie was doing really well on a skirt-type plastic that he had made, tipped with squid. Ray Lopez started slaying, his weapon of choice was a 2 oz red lead head, a GULP! on the hook, along with some squid. Gmoney also started to slay!!! This spot produced quite a few bass, and once they stopped wanting to cooperate, Craig moved the boat, and put us on more fish. This is what we did the rest of the day. Most of our group did really well, and some, including myself, had an off day. I wasn’t even on the board till early in the afternoon!!! One one of the few spots, K3vin Kim landed a NICE calico bass!! Proud of you man!!!! On one of the last spots, my boy Alan was ON FIRE!!! Way to go Alan!!!!

We hit our last spot, gave it a little while, no one home, so Craig let us know it was time to head back to the dock. JACKPOT went to FUNJUNKIE, with GMONEY coming in a close second!!! CONGRATS YOU TWO!! All in all, another GREAT day on the Spitfire. I got to meet some new people (DavidE, CatAddict, Ross, and their friends. For me, fishing wasn’t spectacular; it just wasn’t my day today. Craig, as usual, put us on some great spots. Morgan did his usual excellent job on the deck, and Derek did his usual excellent job in the galley. There were a couple new guys in our group, and they can confirm the quality of this crew. I highly recommend this boat, from beginner to pro-staffers like K3vin Kim, you will NOT be disappointed. They are going to be targeting the Sand and Calico bass for the next month and a half at least, if not longer. I recommend checking fish counts and calling the landing though before ANY trip on a sportboat, as things may change. Thank you all for coming, it was really a good day. Osiito, well get them next time bro!!! Thank you Craig, Morgan, and Derek for another great day on the water, well see you soon!!!

GD

Ps…thanks a lot guys!! I thought I had friends with me on the boat today!! I get home tonight, and see that I have a 2 lb pimple on my nose!!! GRRR….thanks for letting me know….

http://img210.imageshack.us/slideshow/p ... 04vqa.smil

Default Re: SPITFIRE 1 13 08

Took me a few to read the damn thing but it was a good report Steve. :thumb: Cool Slideshow!

thanks ese...im in chat

Steve-O
    THANKS for all that you do...from setting up the trips, being the cruise director (Julie McCoy), and writing the reports. man you are awesome!!!

Its amazing what a difference good people make....its great fishing with all of you and then when you add the top-notch crew of the spitfire the experience is off the scale goooood.

As you know Im not the most experienced moo moo angler....but I do know enough to know a great crew....each member always seems to go the extra mile no matter what task they have going.....props to the spitfire!!!

I am learning so much fishing with you guys and my "its OK" attitude about salt fishing is quickly changing to a "what a blast" attitude. Even during the slow times there is so much to take in from watching what everyone else is doing. (you guys are gonna be in trouble when i learn what the hell I'm im doing....im thinking that someday we may want to change the name from "Jackpot" to "Gmoney's Fund" j/k....hmmmm maybe i should win one first before i get too excited)

Funjunkie - Congrats!
    Alan - duude when it opened up for you it was off the scale fun.....you got a workout!!!
    Raylo - nice fishin and hangin with ya...look forward to doin it again
    cappo - thanks for the advice - always!!!!
    everyone else.....thanks again

catch ya all soon and Im looking forward to going out again.
    FUN FUN FUN

laters
    G$

Thanks for the nice read. Good to hear the bass are biting :thumb:

nice write up steve. Dig the slideshow too.
    man what a tough trip, had a good time, hope it picks up for us.
    I didnt take any pics this trip, sorry guys

Excellent slide show, Steve!

I didn't know that "Raylo" was a S/W enthusiast also, thought he was trapped at Castaic! Poor Ray, picking on you about your name!

Hey Steve, you forgot to mention what color underwear you were wearing on the morning of your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambassadorhawg
    Excellent slide show, Steve!

I didn't know that "Raylo" was a S/W enthusiast also, thought he was trapped at Castaic! Poor Ray, picking on you about your name!

Hey Steve, you forgot to mention what color underwear you were wearing on the morning of your trip.
    i wasnt wearing any...its cool, from now on...geez, never happy...

Great idea with the slide show! Good job out there.

:D

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast