Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: 2 Person Kayak w/ "kick paddle bicycle" design?

Default 2 Person Kayak w/ "kick paddle bicycle" design?

I was thinking about getting a regular 2 person kayak for 2008 when a friend of mines told me about a special 2 person kayak that he saw @ Irvine Lake. He said that this kayak had the "kick paddle" bicycle design that uses your feet to power it instead of your hands. He also mentioned that the people who were using this kayak was fast enough to troll for trout and they were nailing them. Has anybody seen this kayak before? Your thoughts please. :mrgreen:

Default Re: 2 Person Kayak w/ "kick paddle bicycle" design?

Hey now chye, have a look, get ready to spend some $$$$$, you may also want to look at a 2 man pontoon ?

GOOD LUCK

YAK:
    http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/index.html

TOON:
    http://www.creekcompany.com/multidisplay.php?Cat=3

Z

FISH ON !

Hank Parker sells those things on his fishing show all the time. They look kinda fun but I think a toon is much more versatile.

I saw those guys at Irvine one time. The moved pretty fast. 8)

johnsfishing

the Hobie MirageDrive does look very cool, I been reading about it and you can get good
    speed on it. There is a FNN member that has one, you should pm on how he likes it (npdes).
    I have a single person kayak and a tandem kayak(two person kayak).
    I first brought the tandem kayak for me and a friend of mine, but after trying it one person,
    I went and brought a single kayak. With a tandem kayak it harder to maneuver. You have
    to work in unison with the other person. I'm sure that it will be different if you get a hobie kayak
    with a MirageDrive system.

good luck, tell us how it goes!

man, I just check ebay if they have any and........
    that about of $$$$
    you can get a old boat for that price!

I have a Hobie Revolution, single person, Mirage drive kayak. I think it's great. I prefer to bike along rather than paddle. However, with the Revolution, you can also paddle. So in case of an emergency where my legs get too tired, I can always paddle and should have a pretty good amount of energy left since my upper body should be fresh. My wife always SAYS she wants to join me out on the water, but spending an extra $1,000 or so on a tandem Hobie didn't seem smart since I know she would probably only go out with me 2 or 3 times a year. We'll probably rent a tandem sometime. I think they rent them out in Newport.

As far as a fishing platform, the Hobie peddle kayaks are awesome because you can troll and still have the rod in your hand and ready to set the hook. This works out while on the ocean.

As far as a tandem kayak, I haven't tried one yet, but I would imagine a Hobie peddle kayak would be much easier because you don't have to be in sync as much as a paddle kayak. The main thing to consider is the extra cost of the peddle drive system opposed to the paddle kayak. I know the Hobie Mirage kayaks are at least an extra $500 or $600 depending on where and what you get. But I love my Hobie Revolution. Good luck on your decision and hope my input helped.