Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Curado or Calcutta for Surf Fishing - Opinions Please!

Default Re: Curado or Calcutta for Surf Fishing - Opinions Please!

The Mercedes vs BMW debate... win, win situation. I guess one might have to own both. :wink:

Thanks again for all the informative & honest opinions.

Happy fishing! :mrgreen:

Curado/Freshwater
    Calcutta/Saltwater

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut
    The Mercedes vs BMW debate... win, win situation. I guess one might have to own both. :wink:

Thanks again for all the informative & honest opinions.

Happy fishing! :mrgreen:
    and thats what it come s down to. Mercedes or BMW ultimately it comes down to skill. thats what catches the fish sure that there are some reels that are better than others in this case it comes done to pref. if money is no object
    as for me well I like Luna because is just a better crafted reel but I do have a calcutta 400 I use the Luna 9 out of 10 times should have bought 2 lunas.

Field tested my new Calcutta TE 200DC today for the first time... flawless! What casting distance & the smoothest baitcaster I've ever worked. Will post a surf fishing report a little later. Next week, I'll be putting the Daiwa Luna 253 to the test. :wink:

Field tested my new Calcutta TE 200DC today for the first time... flawless! What casting distance & the smoothest baitcaster I've ever worked. Will post a surf fishing report a little later. Next week, I'll be putting the Daiwa Luna 253 to the test. :wink:

Wow, 200DC for surf fishing. :shock: Thought about using my Shimano CORE reel for surf for a second after reading your post. But its staying in fresh water. Is the DC series okay for salt? Great pics and reports.
    I own several Calcutta's and Luna's. With owning and using both, i have to say the Luna's are overall better reels. Cheaper, more solid, less parts, smooth casts, easier to work on, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by SOSOFRESH

Wow, 200DC for surf fishing. :shock: Thought about using my Shimano CORE reel for surf for a second after reading your post. But its staying in fresh water. Is the DC series okay for salt? Great pics and reports.
    I own several Calcutta's and Luna's. With owning and using both, i have to say the Luna's are overall better reels. Cheaper, more solid, less parts, smooth casts, easier to work on, etc..

Core is actually safe for salt applications....

Quote Originally Posted by flopps1
    Quote Originally Posted by SOSOFRESH

Core is actually safe for salt applications....

I know i have read the claim... I dont believe it. Mg salt safe?? Like a aluminum bullet proof vest.

I know i have read the claim... I dont believe it. Mg salt safe?? Like a aluminum bullet proof vest.
    I'll be finding that out soon. I plan to take my mg framed Fuego spinner to the beach next time. It says in the manual it will handle salt if I rinse it and there is no paint chips in the protective coat. It's the only reel I have that fits the bill for light surf perfectly, so might as well give it a shot.

BTW Wingnut, you will dig the Luna 253. You have to appreciate the engineering on that reel if you hold it in your hands, like other reels of good quality. Haven't tried anything other than a Abu C4 to compare it to, but it's a smooth and solid reel and hauls up 5lbers with ease.

SoSoFresh - I also heard that the Core was a good saltwater reel. I have a Calais 200DC, but for the same concerns, it is staying in my freshwater arsenal.

T.J. - I can't wait to try out my new Lunas. I got the 253 in the right handed and the 203L in a left handed version. I can fish the baitcaster both ways. The Calcutta is an exceptional reel, I love it... it's gonna be hard for the Luna to top... we'll see. :wink:

SoSoFresh - I also heard that the Core was a good saltwater reel. I have a Calais 200DC, but for the same concerns, it is staying in my freshwater arsenal.

T.J. - I can't wait to try out my new Lunas. I got the 253 in the right handed and the 203L in a left handed version. I can fish the baitcaster both ways. The Calcutta is an exceptional reel, I love it... it's gonna be hard for the Luna to top... we'll see. :wink:

Let's us know....Might just boil down to perference...but i'll tell you what...can't go wrong with having both....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast