Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NPH 01-18-08 SPOOLED TWICE, 1ST SNGF

Default NPH 01-18-08 SPOOLED TWICE, 1ST SNGF

My son and I have been reading so much about all you guys catching some fish, we thought we'd go out and give it a shot. We got to NPH, about 6:20pm, and by 7:00pm, I was fighting my first fish. By 7:02pm, the fish was kicking my a**. By 7:03pm, dazed and confused with all my line peeling off, I wasn't sure what to do with the behemouth at the end of my 12# line, so I thought I'd apply a little pressure. By 7:04pm, the fish pulled out the big guns and took off on a run straight down the harbor. He managed to peel off all the line on my Calcutta 400. :explode:
    After losing this fish, I grabbed my other rod with a Trinidad TN12 and freshly spooled with 20# Izorline, baited up and flung the bait out. By 7:45, my son was now onto a fish. He was using my second Shimano rod and Calcutta 400 (spooled with 10# line) and after a few short bursts, the fish succumbs and my son lands his first shovel nose guitar fish. I didn't have a tape or scale, so I don't know the weight, but my son was pretty stocked he caught something of decent size. :banana:
    After rebaiting my sons line, we cast the bait back out and within 15 minutes, he was back on to another fish. This time, this fish swam like a bat ray out of hell, straight across the harbor until half our spool was gone and he stopped. He must of sat down on the bottom or something because it was like trying to reel in a log. After a few minutes of trying to horse him in, the line snapped. :bang: Oh well, my son had a kick out of hearing his line peel off for a few minutes. All in all, it was a nice night. Here are a couple pics. One pic shows the rod bendo, before I got spooled. The other pic, well, you can see.
    [attachment=1:2d30d]bat01.jpg[/attachment:2d30d]
    [attachment=0:2d30d]sngf01.jpg[/attachment:2d30d]

Default Re: NPH 01-18-08 SPOOLED TWICE, 1ST SNGF

Damn, don't you hate that helpless feeling while being spooled. Happened to me once a long time ago in the fresh. Probably a monster Catfish. Congrats on a fun day fishing! :mrgreen:

Congrats to you both!

One_Leg

Sounds like a blast! Better to battle and be spooled than no bites at all! :banana: Nice fish! :thumb:

Nice. Never caught one of those. How do they fight? better than a stingray or smoothhound?

Very nice!

Congrats to you and your son on your first SNGF!

congrats on the first SNFG!
    Those thing can fight! too bad about being spooled! must have been something HUGE!

thanks for the report and pics

rock

Excellent Time... I usually target the bass and Hali... It has been a while since I worked out on a mud marlin...

Good Job. What dock were you on?

Chumfun..

Quote Originally Posted by Skyler
    Nice. Never caught one of those. How do they fight? better than a stingray or smoothhound?
    I've never caught a stingray or smoothhound, so I can't compare. But this SNGF had about 6 short runs (maybe 20-45 seconds each) and then it just slowly came in. Where can I catch stingrays or smoothhounds and I'll let you know the difference of the fights. :mrgreen:

There's tons of 'em in NPH...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast