Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Maybe not the right message board, but....

Default Maybe not the right message board, but....

Hey FNNers, I posted this in the Out Of State Reports, but has anyone got some advise or comments for offshore fishing In Hawaii? Will be staying on Maui leaving Dec 27 and staying til Jan 5. I've checked a few sites for chartering on Maui and have read about a few of the customary practices on those private charters. Would just like to know if anyone has fished off those charters and would reccommend any of them. Names and possibly numbers of charter boat owners will be a big help. Looking to possibly catch some ahi, ono, and mahi mahi (tuna, wahoo, dorado) for a couple meals while there. Thanks in advance as this post is a little late, not being sure of which board to use. MAHALO

Default Re: Maybe not the right message board, but....

99% of the charter boats are going to keep ALL of the fish you land and they are very tight about sharing any of it. That is generally part of the deal out there, you catch-they keep. The prices are expensive, too. Bring a pack rod with an assortment of spoons, spinners & jigs and fish from the rocky shore areas. Expect to catch things like snappers, grunts, hawkfish or maybe a jack. Good light tackle fun.

I have checked a few sites for charter fishing off Maui, and yes, they do keep the fish caught. UNLESS the fishermen make an arrangement with the captain of the vessel before they go out, for the fishermen to keep some of what's caught for their own comsumption. Also, fishing off a chartered vessel does not require a fishing license, but fishing from shore does. Like I typed in the original post, looking to catch ahi, ono, or mahi mahi (some fillets for a couple good meals). I've read the fine print in those charter fishing sites and just want to know more and if anyone has more info and/or experiences of doing this in Hawaii. Thanks anyways hawg MAHALO

Good luck in your quest. The charter boats make money off YOUR catch--they take it to the market and sell it. You may have a hard time finding a captain that is willing to give you part of what he sees as his bounty. Most people who go on charters out there are tourists anyway and don't have the means to cook/prepare the fish caught. Love or hate it, that is just the way it is over there.

I went out a of Lahaina back in '02. We ended up catching a bunch of TINY yellowfin (the size of small mackerel) that the crew was planning on selling. It wasn't even worth our efforts. :evil: We trolled around a few FADs and went home.

I know you specifically asked about Maui, but the big island has MUCH better fishing. If you can find a way I would fish the big island instead (they have WAY more charter boats there too).

I don't have any recommendations for Maui....I personally would never offshore fish there again--waste of time and money.

I have never be to the Islands, But the crew keeping the fish ? :shock: :eek2:

When I go fishing on the salt its to put fish on the dinner plate. Come to think of it all the fishing I do is to put fish on the dinner plate.

I would not fish on one of them boats if I could not keep my catch.

TM56

OK, back from my trip to Maui with the skinny about fishing offshore around Maui. It's not what everyone thinks it is. Check the Out Of State Boards. Mahalo