Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Local Moo-moo 0502 Trip Limts!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger
    Also, he explained the lighter weight property of braid and how it takes an experienced angler to finesse the line in order to avoid tangles.

I'm using braided line for the first time htis weekend. Can you elaborate?
    I hate losing rigs and fish to the kelp,especially when the weather doeasn't allow me to go out on the water but stay in the bay.
    He didn't go into too much detail other than the line floats a little more than mono would. That could be a problem during drifts for unexperienced guys. But maybe more so if you're flylining rather than fishing the bottom? I'm sure others can answer better... I was just happy to get the concept. :)

Hey JR,

Another fine day of successful plastic fishing for you I see.

Why no live sardines? Nacho's sold out?

Seems to me like you are getting shorted on fishing time if part of the fishing time includes fueling. I have never experienced that myself. Did I get that right that the first drop of the anchor was a little before 9am? Are those captains motoring that slow?

My apologies for all the Q's.

Thank you for the report.

Hi Ruger,

Compared to the long-range guys, I know nothing about braid but I have used the lighter 30lb-test (6~8lb mono diameter) stuff since it came out on the local moo-moo scene. I use 30lb-test Spiderwire or Professional Pro.

Disclaimer: My comments are directed towards the average Joe, fishing moo-moos for the local, near-shore species ... so there !!

Not all braids were created the same or of equal fishability. Just as with any new line ... there are characteristics one must learn in order to fish it to the max. I'm careful to do the following before fishing it in earnest on a trip.

Tackle Choice:
    1) Even though the bass-pros do it, I don't recommend using it on spinning tackle.

2) I suggest using a 'level-wind' conventional reel matched to a composite rod with lots of backbone and the top 1/3 softer. The level wind is excellent in keeping the line wrapping straight on the spool and a rod with a softer top section to take the jolting that you'll get with a line that doesn't stretch.

Line:
    1) Some guys use heavier test braid but I prefer the 30 as it doesn't have the degree of buoyancy inherent in larger diameter lines ..... be they braid or mono !! By the way ..... braid that has been used a while loses some of its floatation characteristics.

2) Besides being able to put more line on a spool (even as a topshot), the thinner line diameter slices through kelp more readily. It also has less resistance to forces such as currents and swell/wave action thus not being carried as would mono or a thicker braid.

Before Casting:

I do a couple of things before I fish with a braid outfit.

1) I make sure the line position off the reel is in line with the level wind thingy before running it up through the guides.

2) Before putting on a leader, I will run 30~40 yards of line off the outfit behind the boat to ... a) wet the line, b) remove any twist that might have occurred, and 3) make sure that line is uniformlylaid back on the spool with moderate and consistent tension. Question: Ever had a problem with line on a reel in the middle of a fight and later forget that there was this loop .... etc? :lol:

3) Set the tension knob of the spool so that it is tighter than you would normally set it!

4) Lastly ... check out the guys around you and how you're supposed to fish and adjust the stuff at the end of the line that will keep you out of trouble. If there's too much stuff that'll cause problems .... give up on the braid or move, if allowed and or desired, to another place on the boat.

5) Consider the species your fishing and ....... set-ups of both yourself and your rail-mates are using for them.

Oh Ya ....... 5) Almost forgot! Don't just try to wing-out a huge cast on your first toss. Truth is ..... I'll often do a short, straight drop initially as the boat is often still moving. I never cast for distance until the line has got used to how it comes off the reel and through the guides! That's right ..... guides create resistance too!

Delaying the Inevitable:

1) Since you've chosen a spot on the boat with the least potential for tangling, nothing need be said.

2) Understand that there are some species of fish that you have no business specifically fishing for with braid on a crowded moo-moo. Wide-open larger Bonito or Barracuda on a surface bite come to mind.

3) As one of braids main attributes is sensitivity, it stands to reason that it's most effective in mid-column and deeper water applications.

It's least manageable application seems to be surface fly-lining simply because that's, in good measure, a visual game and ......... because others fishing live-bait on the top will continually cross lines ...... especially yours. Remember the thing about the braid high-buoyancy.

4) Fishing live bait is what the big-boys on long-range do but they use topshots of mono for the rod-tip to fishy business till hookuup. In my opinion, a really lively, fly-lined bait would convey a lot of distracting action up the line and possibly cause false strikes and or worse miss a light biter for use using braid and a short leader.

Sneaky stuff:

1) If you are lucky enough to have everyone around you fish a single certain way ...... although I suggest going with the flow most of the time ... sometimes one is able to avoid the usual tangles by fishing almost the opposite way.

Example: Everyone has tons of weight and are going straight down. That's when I will cast and fish out and a little away from the boat ... and there are few with which to tangle. With proper technique, I will cover more water and my leadhead will end up just about at the same point as others. (the ol' less resistance to current trick)

2) Timing can be everything. Once you learn the characteristics of your line and bait, you can use the maneuverability of your current-cutting setup to fish 'under' others suspended lines.

3) Better control of your line will also allow you to cast 'thread the needle' between two parallel lines and harmlessly drop further below them for the rest of the drop.

Other:
    1) On the rare occasion I use braid to fish bait (besides a leadhead/Squid), I use a Carolina rig w/whole Squid pinned on a circle hook.

Why: The proper way to hook a fish with a circle hook is to wind on a fish and once solidly hooked ....... strike a couple of times for good measure.

If you are not used to using braid .... as thee is no stretch or forgiveness in the line, it is possible to 1) jerk the bait out of fishys mouth, 2) break off your hook at the knot or leader (unless you've got a shock-leader), or 3) destroy your rod ! Yep .... seen it happen. Fishy ...... Humungus Strike ..... No Give ..... Rod bends ....... till Rod explodes!!

Just a few thoughts on my experience with braid on the moo-moos. Hope this gives you a little edge.

JapanRon

Hi Eric U,

Actually ....... we had Sardines (as mentioned) and that was the key to getting the Bocaccio.

There was quite a bit of swell and weather as we were chugging up the coast and didn't stop until about the lighthouse. The boat I was on is for sure not the fastest boat in the fleet !! Then again, maybe the skipper was coserving fuel for the trip back! :shock: :wink:

I think the whale that past us ........ beat us to Rocky Point ....... doing the back stroke!! :lol: :wink:

I hate being dragged to the fuel docks! I don't see anything but Tomcod there!!

JapanRon

you are awesome! so informative for a noob like me. lol. i fished out of 22nd street many times and a few times from pier point. but i still dont consider myself a veteran though i have gone out a lot. i always seem to forget how to rig everything argh...probably beacuse i go every 3-6-10 months haha. i really like hte info you post about using plastics, i just bought a lot of swimbaits in a variaty of colors and jig heads as well. i hope to use them this summer for some sandbass/calicos and cudas. so this info is really helping me out. thanks for the info! i'll be looking forward to see your other posts. :D

JapanRon, Thanks for the insight. I'm going on my first trip ever on the Spitfire out of Redondo. Your article gave me an idea on what to expect. I will most definitely respect the other anglers, and ask for help from the deckhands. Do you have any last minute advice for a swab?

Hi GunnerBlack,

I have heard nothing but good reports on the Spitfire recently. I have a couple of friends that love that boat.

Here's another bit of news. Redondo is having their one month special where you pay $100 for a month pass and you can then go as many times as you want in a month for $10 each trip. I was tempted but I don't like the distance I'd have to travel!!

You might want to check some of the past threads for reports on the Spitfire.

Please take pictures to put in your report!!

JapanRon

Awsome........&#46 ;.Thank you again :!: :D

as always J-ron, incredible report as well as informative.

thanks for your time and effort.

Soul

Default nice

your report are always a joy to read so much detail !!!!!!!

i hope i can get my reports a 1/4 as well as yours

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12