Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: FISHING NEWPORT HARBOR...

Default FISHING NEWPORT HARBOR...

I'm new on here and i wanted to go fish Newport Harbor for some Spotties and some Halibuts. Does anyone know of any key spots in the harbor for this time of year? What kind of tackle as well. Thanks......

Default Re: FISHING NEWPORT HARBOR...

Slow worked plastics is what you want to use, as well as 12-15lb fluorocarbon leader. Best if you have some spectra backing also with the fluorocarbon leader as a topshot.

You also want to seriously consider some type of scent like Hot Sauce and Smelly Jelly to help attract fish in the stained water right now.

Coo. thanks... What types of plastics and how long? I have like the 3-4inch AA swim baits. All types of colors. I also have the Hot Sauce jelly too. Thought about fishing between the boats infront of the Harbor Patrol Station and under the PCH bridge. Is it any good over in those spots?

Quote Originally Posted by the fish taco
    Coo. thanks... What types of plastics and how long? I have like the 3-4inch AA swim baits. All types of colors. I also have the Hot Sauce jelly too. Thought about fishing between the boats infront of the Harbor Patrol Station and under the PCH bridge. Is it any good over in those spots?
    Yup, both are good... any of the private boat docks, around the moored boats, etc. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by the fish taco

Mojo Scampi's, Big Hammer Swimbaits, Fish Trap Swimbaits, etc. don't know too much about AA swimbaits.

Most fish inbetween boats will be small models. Fish from dock/public piers areas will be medium models. Structure is what you want to be looking for. The main channel will also produce the widest range of fish.

sounds good. i use to fish the bait dock on my buddy's lil 16ft ranger using the black and clear Whams..... I just went to The Longfin and picked up some 3 inch single tail mojos. they told me those work GOOD too. Also got some Gulp 3inch Shimps and Gulp Jer shads.