Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: buying a boat-need advice

Default buying a boat-need advice

i'm thinking of buying a used or hopefully a near new center console/bay boat on a tight budget of 8000. was looking at boats with bay style or shallower hulls vs. the traditional cc deep V hulls. i was told both handle swell very well. but the bay style doesnt handle wind or chop very well. however, the bay style hulls are very gas efficient and fast boats. i was jst wondering if anyone has had experience with these kinds of boats and if so, which you would prefer.

secondly, wanted to ask what kind and year of motor should i be looking for on a boat for 8k? was thinking no less than 1994...i hear that yamahas are best for the salt? is this true?

any info would be greatly appreciated.
    thnx
    Kalicos

Default Re: buying a boat-need advice

You should find a decent boat for 8K, depends on where your gonna use it as to the type of engine, a 2 stroke oil-injected is OK with most of Calif. lakes, but a 4 stroke will be able to launch in all Calif. lakes. Don't think it makes any difference how many strokes if your going to take out in the Ocean. Get a deep-V for the ocean, a cuddy or center consul would B my opinion.

:2cents: rent

If your on a tight bugdet at 8k, better save up another 2-3k for all the things you'll want to do-add to your new baby. Then when ya start running it and yer buddies break or lose things, engine repairs, cleaning supplies, safety gear, electronics, vhf, gps, maintnence cost's (even do-it yerself oil changes and tuneups), tow vehicle maintnence, trailer maintnence, INSURANCE, VESSEL ASSIST, ramp fees, park fees, and finally the big one, FUEL.

You can get great deal on a good ocean/lake combo hull and use it for both fresh and salt water throughout the winter. Rising fuel cost's will flush out a lot of nice, newer, well treated boats. Watch out for the 'bargains". Be prepared to spend more money than you'll ever be able to justify on yer new hobby.

And remember,
    Safety First!

Cap'n Ron warned ya'

p.s.
    learn to get everything loaded in the boat b-4 you hit the launch ramp, put your drain plugs in from the inside so you don't get em snagged out by a rope or nets, or line, wear a life jacket when it's rough.
    And have fun.

thnx for the great info guys. one question for cap'n ron. I understand that fuel will be a large money grinder. Is it true that the aluminum hull boats like the bayrunners run more fuel efficiently? how do these hulls hold up to boats like say a whaler?

thnx again for the great advice cap'n ron.
    Kalicos

Kali,

This could be a tough one.

First of all, what types of boats have you, owned, fished from or admired?

Are you going to be ocean only or combine with fresh?

Any family, wife, kids, girlfriend, buddies?

What experience do you have? Inboards, I/O, outboards?

I know there are some guys that swear by the aluminum but I am not one of them.

What size boat are you considering?

When I'm buying a boat I make a list of priorities, that I want to have available to me.

Storage for gear, rod storage, ease of handling, launching and recovering.

As for fuel economy, ferget about it, gas is going to be 5.00 at the pump this summer so suck it up.

Put some more of 'what your looking for" in a boat and let's see where this goes.

Cap'n Ron

i have only had experience with an old bass boat glastron i believe with a medium sized mercury outboard. thinking about getting a mainly inshore ocean boat, maybe a large lake once in a while. just me, my dad and occasionally my brother. considering something 17 to 23 foot.

priorities:
    -price (college student)
    -ease of handling
    -fishability
    -manuverability/speed
    -storage
    -and finally...comfort.

haha. amen to the gas statement. :x
    thnx again for all the great info. probably looking at a whaler outrage or bayrunner, maybe a shallow hull bay boat like a kenner or redfin.

No matter what you do make sure you set aside at least 2 hundred for a inspection of whatever ur thinking of buying,don't buy without a inspection you'll be sorry for sure.

Defination for BOAT..BRING ON ANOTHER THOUSAND........ :bang: :bang:

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky70
    Defination for BOAT..BRING ON ANOTHER THOUSAND........ :bang: :bang:
    Yea!...... But spending those thousands is sooo.... much fun.
    Think I need to buy another boat :mrgreen:Would it be concidered a sister ship or a baby brother :roll:
    Hmmmm..... 20ft Grady White. :D Center Console or Walk around? :roll:
    Gettin some fresh water fever.
    Ill make sure I wave at you standing on the shore as I pass by you Sparky 70 :lol:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast