Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi Everyoone-I'm new here

Default Hi Everyoone-I'm new here

Hi everyone!

I'm new here-I've fished on and off (freshwater) since I was a kid (Grandpa took me when I was little and it sorta " stuck")

I've lived in SoCal about 10 years, and have taken/taught my son to fish (on shore)...but I just bought a little boat so he isn't stuck bumping elbows with everybody else (I Live in the high desert-and I cannot stand Hesperia Lake, the water is nasty and I wouldn't want to eat anything coming out of that place anymore, its really gone downhill) and I have also taken him to Jess Ranch lakes and also to Mojave Narrows. We 've had our share of being skunked.

Anyway, my son is now 14, doesn't know about the boat yet-he'll be here 2nd week of December for his Christmas vacation...so of course he and Mom will be going fishing!

Does anyone have any tips on places to take a small boat in my area? I do have one place I can go for free, a friend lives at Silver Lakes in Helendale and I've heard the fishing there is good? Don't know if that is true-or not?

Trout is our favorite...crappie is second on the list...but we'll always be happy to catch a healthy lookin' catfish! The biggest thing is NOT getting skunked, that is REALLY disappointing to a kid.

Attached is a pic of my boy with his first ever catch a couple of years ago (I sure was one proud Mom!!) and of my "new" boat. I can't wait to get it out on the water someplace.

Default Re: Hi Everyoone-I'm new here

WHAT A MOM!!!!!!!!! youre great mom, im not from that area so i cant really help but im sure somebody will, and welcome to F,N,N
    STRIPER11550:Twisted:

STRIPER FEST
    HEAVY STRINGER
    CHAMPION

Way to go on the boat surprise!
    You might try Cleghorn Cove at Silverwood. It's off the 138 heading east from the high desert 11 miles past the 15fwy. Grab two cups of nightcrawlers and some anchovies from the bait shop on the way down the 138, 7 miles before the lake.
    Lots of trout action up there right now, and Cleghorn cove has a 5mph speed limit for boats so you won't get washed around by the skiers. A bunch of catfish on the prowl as well. Fish the bottom for cats with anchovies or nightcrawlers and split shot the nightcrawlers with a slow retrieve for the trout!
    I can't guarantee you a skunk free trip, but if you fish at each of the couple of different docks in the Cleghorn cove of Silverwood you should be able to hook into something! Dress very warm! It's cold up there right now.

Yeah, Silverwood is a nice lake ! You might even hook a striper...

SCG7

I would agree, I would try Silverwood. I was able to make it to the inlet in my porta-bote (with only a 2hp outboard), so if you wanted to head out that far you should be fine. Plus I doubt there are as many lake lice as there was this summer. Thought I wasn't going to make it a couple of times. :titanic:

welcome to FNN. fishingmom . i dont live in your area so i have no clue of where to go. but im looking foward to reading your reports and wish you all the luck on putting your son on a great fishing trip.

Hi again everybody, many thanks for the warm welcome!

I've been to Silverwood, but I have never fished there, sounds like a plan! I do know about bundling up-I think I live as high if not higher in elevation than the lake is-and yea, it's COLD! I found a web site that has pretty decent maps of Silverwood-I think I need to make a boat reservation? Sounds like an excellent suggestion!

The boat is 12', the outboard is 7.5 HP, it has a Minn-Kota troller-I still need to get a battery....(didn't realize how much those cost-owch) but it has everything else we need. I'd love to find someplace quiet to drop the anchor-and Cleghorn Cove sounds like the perfect place.

I do think my son is going to be one surprised little dood. He has NO idea...and I can't wait to see the look on his face-I can hardly stand the waiting myself... :mrgreen:

Oh, and what the heck is a lake lice, a big boat?

Yeah, Cleghorn is your best bet, or Miller....

Lake lice are the crowds, people making it tough on fishermen with their boats and waverunners... :titanic:

SCG7

Default Re: Hi Welcome

it's always good to see a new fisherman opp's woman thats a cute boat but watch your self out there at silverwood the wind could catch you and you'll be in the drink, it got me in the canoe one day and wash me to shore check your wether be for you go
    http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/forecasts/graph ... x.php#tabs
    this is the best give you wind speed, waves, and much more.
    good luck, waiting to read your report

Thanks for the awesome link! Ya, the last thing I want to do is end up overboard-expecially during the winter...BRRRR...not on my list of things to do. I live in the foothills between AV and Lucerne, so if it's windy here, I know it's going to be windy there as well.

One thing to always remember out here is that wind does pick up big time in the afternoons, mornings are usually pretty calm.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast