Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SPITFIRE 11 18 07

Default SPITFIRE 11 18 07

Hey guys, first of all, I’m a bit tired, so I will do my best to write a good report for you. Second, again, I still don’t have a camera, and there were a few pics taken by cappo and Alan, they will post them later.

Today, we decided to fish the Spitfire (yes, again). I normally like to switch my boats up, but guys, since the very 1st trip, I was impressed with this boat’s outstanding crew, and first class customer service. So, needless to say, I will be fishing this boat as much as possible. For the guys that like to fish winter bass, and fish on a top-notch boat with a 1st class crew, I totally recommend this boat. BBSCF/FNN/BBFNN/NBU/Guests today :
    1. Ghetto Dad
    2. Peter
    3. One_leg (Alan)
    4. Trailer Trash (Rich)
    5. Cappo (Juan)
    6. Kevin Kim
    7. Ymin (Mike)
    8. LA Smoker (Bob, aka F.OB. B.O.B.)
    9. Calamari
    10. His bro (sorry man, I forgot your name)

Got my usual wake up call from Alan at 3:00 a.m., got dressed, and headed over to his house to pick him up. We got to the landing at 5:00 a.m., purchased our tickets, and headed over to the South parking lot to wait for the crew to board us. Got onto the boat at appx. 5:55 a.m., then left the dock at 6:00 a.m. to load up on fin bait, then off to the fishing grounds. We had a center tank full of live squid already.

Crew today was the Dream Team of Capt. Craig, Morgan on deck, Derek in the galley, and Bobby K. on board to do some fishing and help out when needed. As usual, Craig made his morning safety speech, and informed us on his plans on where we would be starting out in the morning, and what we will be targeting. The morning plan was to head up the line, fishing in appx. 300 feet of water, to load us up on the quality rockfish that they have been slaying the last few days. Recommendations on tackle was a minimum of 8 oz of lead, up to 12 oz., and a 2-hook gangion. I decided to fish a 12 oz. Tied below my 2-hook gangion. Rockfish are on the bottom guys, no need taking your time to get down there. On my second rod, I tied on an 8oz red and white Jax Jig. Bobby came around selling gunny sacks (which, by the way, this crew takes your sack tag # and hang it on your sack. Then, all the gunny sacks are hung in numerical order, very professional), and Morgan made his rounds with the Jackpot sheet. After rigging up, getting our sacks, and getting into the jackpot, we ordered our breakfast. We were off on another well anticipated trip about the Spitfire.

Arrived in the first area about an hour and 30 minutes later, got baited up, and made our first drops. I started off with the gangion, telling myself that before I started fishing my jig, I would try to have a few fish in the sack first. Hit the bottom, got rattled, and wound up some HUGE 6 inch rockfish!! Lol. Ok, I tried, time to fish my jig! (fyi guys, I really don’t like to fish gangions, I prefer to try to catch fish on the jigs) Made a quick drop, and within a few minutes, Craig decided to wind em up, and go look for something better. He was not satisfied with the small grade of rockfish that we were catching. We continued to fish this area for awhile, picking up some quality reds, boscos, and misc. rockfish. Craig told us to wind em up, and informed us that he’s going to head up the beach further, he was still not content with the amount and quality of the fish that we were catching. Another excellent point about this boat and it’s crew. They will go wherever is necessary to put you on fish. We ended up off Zuma Beach, wayyyyyy up the line. Made a few drifts, dropped the anchor a few times, and picked at more quality reds and rockfish. On one of my drops, I hooked a mack on the way down. I decided to let it continue down to its death in the hopes of catching a ling. Hit the bottom, and within a minute, got ling bit. I set the hook, and the fight was on!!!!!! For about 4 seconds…..GRRRRR!!! Brought up my mack, and needless to say, it was ripped to shreds. One opportunity for me, strike one. Picked up my jig rod, snagged another mack, and this time, hooked it onto my bait rod with 40 lb test and the 2-speed….I am going to get it this time!!! I hit the bottom, and within a few minutes, BAM!!!! Solid strike…..let him eat it, and set the hook!!! Once again, the fight was ON!!!! And, once again, for about 4 seconds…GRRRRRRRRRR! Strike two. A bit later, I heard yelling in the stern. I looked back, and saw a nice ling on the gaff, and cappo with a big smile on his face. Great job bro, we got a ling on the boat!! By the time I finally snagged another mack, Craig informed us to wind em in….we were going to head back down the line and fish in 90 feet of water….BASS TIME!!!

On the way down, I set up my 25 lb rod with 1 ½ oz leadhead, and ordered lunch. Got down to the area, set up anchor, and started fishing. Well guys, I cant always be the hero, and today was MY day to watch. From the time we dropped anchor, it was a very steady bite on the quality sand bass, sheephead, sculpin, and even a few rockfish. Hot stick today was Ymin, he was on fire, and putting the wood to the bass. Finally, he is fishing at his full potential!!! For the first 45 minutes, I literally did not get bass bit….wth???? Then, finally, I got bit hard…set the hook, and it was on. This one pulled back…hard!! When I got it to color, it wasn’t a sand bass….it was a legal ling!! Morgan, as always, ready with the gaff, and stuck my fish. I was on the board…finally!!! From that point on, it was pretty much the same thing…..look to the bow, passenger with another bass….look to the stern, another 3 or 4 bass going, all the boyz were hooking up….even Alan!!! You did a great job Alan, im proud of you….look at either side of the boat….MORE bass. After his 4,000th bass, Ymin hooks into a nicer fish. After a nice little battle, fish surfaces…..HUGE SHEEPHEAD!!! Great job mike!!! This fish was a beast, it weighed out at a solid 20 lbs!!!! Well, jackpot is settled…thanks mike!!! We fished as long as we could possibly fish, went into o.t. a lil, and had to head back to the dock. We were appx 23 miles away, and had to head home. I ended up partially redeeming myself by catching my ling, and ended up with 8 quality bass. Not bad, considering that I did not get my first bass for over an hour on the spot. Talk about snake bit, but that’s ok…last 2 trips were excellent for me, it was someone else’s turn this trip. You guys all kicked a**!! Great job boyz!! Without saying, Ymin got jackpot….the BBFNN/NBU crew had it 3 ways…..we had the JP sewed up!!!!

Once again, ANOTHER EXCELLENT TRIP aboard the Spitfire. Great crew, great company, excellent fishing. For those of you who haven’t fished the Spitfire, you really need to give them a try, you won’t be disappointed. We have another trip on it next week, here is your chance. Thanks for listening, hope you guys enjoyed the report. Peace

GD

Default Re: SPITFIRE 11 18 07 (PICS LATER)

Hey GD,
    Sounds like you guys had a great time out on the water...congrats on some serious fish slaying! Can't wait to see those pictures...fantastic report btw!

TD

glad to hear it was a kick ***** time. to bad i couldnt make this trip.

sweet man! i couldnt make it! I have another paper im working on as we speak. i will try to make it out on teh 25th!!! if not it will be the trip after for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by troutdog
    Hey GD,
    Sounds like you guys had a great time out on the water...congrats on some serious fish slaying! Can't wait to see those pictures...fantastic report btw!

TD
    thanks man.....what i cant wait for is to get a new cam....i love taking pics....especially to add to my reports......

Quote Originally Posted by christainmetalhead909
    glad to hear it was a kick ***** time. to bad i couldnt make this trip.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10640

Nice report GD. Good job on catching 1 of the 3 lings!

But we need pics now!
    What if the other guys start their own thread about the trip?

Just so you know..

:wink: Just kiddingz

20lb sheephead??? WOW! :shock:
    That's a $240.00 fish according to 99 Ranch!!!
    They have live sheephead right now for $11.99lb.

Great job Mike!

I had a great time out there with you guys. Spitfire comes thru again putting us on fantastic fishing.
    We were greeted by a huge pod of dolphins. What kind are they Alan? LOL

I nailed some nice reds early on then I got slammed real hard. It had a nice bend on the rod.

Dogfish

I got a nice ling on an anchovy. LOL. I thought I had Jackpot but it was too early to declare victory.

Ghetto lingcod

Derek lands a big goat.

BobbyK with a nice sandie.

They kept pulling down this kid's pants while he had a fish on.

Mike lands a toilet seat cover. LOL.

And then the biggest fish on the trip was landed. Mike got a huge sheephead, pushing 20#s easy.
    Here he is with Capt. Craig. Congrats on the jackpot!!

Heres some more pics...

This by far was my funnest trip I've had in a while. The crew was awesome and everybody had a great time.

That's cool how you got the shark to look at the camera and smile 8)

Great pics guys.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast