PDA

View Full Version : Surf Fishing

ikeman
11-14-2007, 05:29 PM
Originally being from the East Coast, growing up in Delaware and also on the Outer Banks, I moved to California in the mid 80's. When I first moved here I brought our normal surf rigs we would use. 10-15' rods and heave duty spinning reels, surf rigs with 2-8oz. pyramid sinkers and cut bait. We would use light weight stuff once in a while for perch or pompano (OBX) or similar inshore beach species, with carolina rigs and sand crabs. But the emphasis was on sea trout, occasional flounder, blue fish, stripers and red drum.
Some of these fish get BIG!! What a rush pulling a 20-40 pounder through slamming shorebreak!

When I first started surf fishing out here, there wasn't many surf fisherman. Lots of surfers though, which I am also, so I soon had some guys to fish with. I'm sure there were surf fisherman, but not like I see now. You guys didn't need to fish the surf, rightfully so, you have an awesome inshore fishery with all the kelp and boiler fishing, harbors and bays, not to mention the Short island runs and such.

It's great to see so many people realizing what the local beaches have to offer and Fishing network is key to the awareness of how fun it is to just go down to the beach and throw in a line by your self to shake off the stress of the day, or taking your sons or daughters and exposing them to a healthy and enriching pastime.

From light gear for the shoreline, fly fishing ( a blast in the surf!! The purest fishing!!) big bomb rigs for the sharks and stuff, there's so much diversity. We are blessed to have so many good areas to fish.

I enjoy all types of fishing and being a surfer, I have always packed a rod when on a surf trip or just a morning surf. No matter where I go, I meet fisherman. Mainland Mexico to Tahiti to Australia . Typically the best surfing coincides with the best surf fishing, an incoming tide so if it's not happening for surf, I fish! Or fish when the wind turns onshore and blows out the waves.

Unlike the crowded conditions of more and more surfers, the beach is wide open and can accommodate many, many fisherman. I'm happy there's a forum just for the beaches and harbors. Everyone shares their stories and techniques and gets together and most important has fun! Ohana!! Anybody want to fish PM me. I'm in the south Orange County area. I' m on a new business venture and need to get out and fish!!!

Jeff

Wingnut
11-16-2007, 05:26 PM
I just started surf fishing and I LOVE IT! It's everything that you stated & more. Trying to get my first Hali. Good luck out there! :mrgreen:

Granny Fish
11-16-2007, 08:12 PM
I began surf fishing a little over a year ago. Mainly because of a story on FNN. I haven't had much opportunity to go surf fishing over the last 6 months, but I really enjoy it. Reading the water, carrying my gear on me and being on the move reminds me of what I enjoy about river fishing in the back country of the Sierras. There is a lot of competition with all the surfers and swimmers in the water. I like to go in the winter months because there aren't as many people on the beach.

ikeman
11-18-2007, 10:47 PM
Yeah, It 's great to connect yourself with the everchanging forces of nature. So much goes on when you're working a beach, reading the signs, watching the rips, finding the holes, then BAM!! Fish on!!!

Grannyfish, You are right. It's much like river and stream fishing. Big crossovers in the way you read stuff- faster currents,slicks and pools. I love fly fishing the Sierras! Went up with my dad for our annual trip this Sept. in the Tioga Pass, Lee Vining and Hot creek areas. We had a blast as usual, although the water was low everywhere except the Owens, which fished very well. Nailed the 'bows with brown yarn nymphs on the Owens the last day. Old flys my Uncle had tied decades ago. Sometimes, the most basic stuff works the best. I'll post a late report w/pics on the Sierras board soon.

Wingnut, keep at it and you will soon get that first Hali- just be patient it WILL happen!!!!!
Aloha!