PDA

View Full Version : ensenada trip nov 8-11

CPRfisher
11-14-2007, 04:17 PM
Was on vacation from work so me n my girl decided to head down to ensenada to do a little fishin and relaxn. Left rancho cucamonga at around 9am and was in ensenada about noon. I have never driven in mexico before and i was a little scarred at first but it was actually not that bad at all. We had a nice pleasant drive down there along the scenic highway. After arriving in ensenada and getting our hotel room we decided to head to the fish market to look around and after make a stop by sergios sportfishing to reserve a spot on the charter boat for friday. Afterword got dinner hit up the spa then bedtime had to get up early the next day for the charter.

Friday woke up early and got a taxi down to sergios to go out on a 3/4 day charter in search of some rockcod. The boat was about a 55 ft open charter boat only 6 ppl total would be going out today. When i got on the boat i already began feeling sick. ( you see i get sick about 80% of the time and now my mind already makes my stomach sick before i even get on the boat in anticipation of getting sick). I desperatly need a cure for the seasickness. Headed out to the spot about an hour and a half ride out. The morning was very chilly and sprinkleing at time. On the first drift we started nailing fish right away. we were using dead squid for bait and some bonito that we got trolling on the way out. we were in about 400 ft of water. The other 4 guys that were on the boat were using jigs and just slaughtering nice lings and reds with the occasional salmon grouper. We made 3 or 4 more drifts at different locations ending up with around 60 fish total. There were so few ppl on the boat the 3 deckhands were fishing with us. The oceans were not that rough only like 3 ft swells but my body was still very weak and quissy and i even slept through 2 of the drifts cuz i wasnt feeling good. Happily though i never fed the fish and a rare time when i got back to the dock without loseing it over the side.
After fishing we got dinner and headed to the spa again then watched some nba in the room then bed.

Saturday was our final day we did some shoppn then decided to head home around noon. i made it back to rancho about 6pm after a 3 hour wait to get acrosss the disasterous border. All in all was a very relaxing trip and i would highly recommned the villa fontana inn if anyone is heading down that way.

some pix:
giant jesus on top of hill on the way to ensenada
[attachment=4:15fad]giantjesus.jpg[/attachment:15fad]

tuna pens where they grow the tuna would love to release them all
[attachment=3:15fad]tunapens.jpg[/attachment:15fad]

before they make fillets
[attachment=5:15fad]cuttingboard.jpg[/attachment:15fad]

girl w/fish
[attachment=1:15fad]lwf.jpg[/attachment:15fad]

me w/fish
[attachment=0:15fad]mwf.jpg[/attachment:15fad]

my favorite
[attachment=2:15fad]teq.jpg[/attachment:15fad]

chris
11-14-2007, 05:36 PM
sounds like a great trip thanks for sharing
have you ever tried starting to take the anti-
nausea medicine 24 hours before getting on the boat
and continue the suggested dosage til your off. I like the dis-
solvable bonine in strawberry flavor.

ghetto dad
11-14-2007, 07:24 PM
great report and pics man.,...thanks alot!! 400 feet?????? u sure???? damn thats deep

one_leg
11-14-2007, 07:43 PM
Nice report. I love tequila. I'll need a 2 speed to crank that much line in with fish on the end.

One_Leg

victor101
11-14-2007, 07:48 PM
Nice! thanks for the report man! ive been to mexico a few times but never been fishing there...that is something i want to experience this upcomming summer. one question...is there such thing as limits in mexico? such as limits on salmon grouper...or minimum size on lingcod?

Oz
11-15-2007, 01:24 AM
awsome trip man..i hope i get to go one year and have lots of fun like u did 8)

hey vic u wanna go to the cabo one or the 976 tuna one in may??? lol the guy from 976 is trying to get me to go lol

ONEKID
11-15-2007, 09:34 AM
nice trip... the drive to ensenada is not bad at all as long as you travel during the daytime. at night, it's a different story. you sure you were fishing 400 ft? ensenada is known to to produce rockfish shallow enough to actually fight them.

CPRfisher
11-17-2007, 01:28 AM
thanks for the replies.
as far as depth im going by what the captain told us. They had sonar on the boat so i think its pretty acurate. every stop we made he said it was between 300 and 400 feet deep. All i know is that it took a good 2-3 minutes to get to the bottom and we had 6 to 8 ozs of weight on my reel would be like 3/4 empty when i finally hit bottom. it would take like 4-5 minutes to reel the line up. It was actually alot of work to reel the line up even without fish on. Sumtimes when id reel the pole would be bent in half like i had fish on when it was actually all weight.

Im not really sure about size or limits. Although it appeared there was no restriction on size because a few times we brought up some real small ones im talking like 10inches and they would keep them. Although anyfish we brought up from that deep seemed like they were almost dead and their eyes were all bulged out. Most of those rockfish dont even fight its just sort of weight on the end. Still fun though to bring fish up from the depths.

As far as driving although this was my first time i refuse to drive anywhere in mexico at night. Its much safer to just take the taxis or the bus. I usually take the bus when im in a major city cuz its only like 60 cents pp.

As far as meds for seasickness ive tried them all and nothing really seems to help me. Ive even got the prescription one from the doc that i put on a full day in advance and it only seems to help a little bit. I just have to brave the sickness when i go. I just love fishing on the ocean that much. Sometimes when i go im throwing up every 15 mins to 1/2 hour. The only thing that really seems to help is when i do multiple days in a row. Only the first day ill be real sick after that i only get a little sick the rest of the days. I would be willing to pay a couple thousand dollars if i could be guarenteed a cure im that desperate! LOL!

maxpowers
11-19-2007, 11:05 AM
I have found that whenever I get or start to feel a bit seasick I would eat or suck on a piece of ginger. It seems to do the trick every time. There are some sugary dry ginger sold in vietnamese market (ask for "mut gung"). It is not as potent but still pack enough kick to help me with motion sickness. Try it out and let me know. It need to be real ginger not ginger extract as I think the spicy feeling help you fight the queasiness.

Mike

steve092
11-24-2007, 09:39 AM
3-4 hundred feet deep?
The fish have to have died on the way up.