PDA

View Full Version : FISHFINDERS

GEO
04-30-2007, 09:14 PM
Anyone have suggestions and/or recommendations regarding portable fishfinders that can be used an a kayak and maybe a float tube? Or at least what to stay away from. I'm looking to spend around 150.oo. :shock:
Thanks in advance

lipripperzo
04-30-2007, 09:17 PM
o know that humminbird makes one called piranha and i have seeb some other people with them on their tubes

id like to know the same thing though

Socal Bassman
04-30-2007, 10:50 PM
I was wondering the same thing too. I'd think that if you can make a place to mount it, you can use just about any fish finder. Right now I'm thinking of going with either the Humminbird 565 or the Eagle Cuda 168. Does anyone know if these could be used on a tube.

jonee523
04-30-2007, 11:31 PM
Hey all,

I hope this helps. The hummingbird pirhana max is a great unit I have one. I bought the 215 model and it work great. I power the unit using a smaller 12 volt rechargable battery I bought at hobbypeople. As you know you have to mount the puck(transducer) somewhere. I mounted my puck to the bottom inside my kayak using marine goop. As long as there are no bubbles in the goop when mounting you should be fine. This way the sound is shot through the hull and bounced back and read. You can also mount by attaching to the outside of you kayak. As for a float tube, I would think that the scotty strappable adaptors should be fine. You'd adjust the strap around whichever side you want and mount the finder to a plate that attaches to the scotty. Of course your gonna want to adjust the puck to the proper direction on you tube. Just be sure that you keep the battery dry. The float tube straps are avalible at turners. Then the adaptor plate is most likely avalible at west marine.

Good luck and tight lines,

Jon

jonee523

Swampchicken
05-11-2007, 02:33 PM
I have fished the Piranha1 for about 4 years. I got the portable model at Walmart on clearance a few years ago for about $60. That thing lasted me quite a long time. It used the 8 AA batteries which lasted me about 3 8 hour trips per set. It had the suction cup transducer which was perfect, because I would bounce between a few different kayaks. Just be sure to rinse it off and clean off the connectors after every use. Mine finally died, but it was a great little investment. You might still be able to find them cheap on Yahoo shopping.

Davey

paintnfish
05-11-2007, 05:02 PM
I use the pirhana max 30, works great. just strap it
on to your tube with a bungee and slip the transducer
through the bungee on the bottom.

You find the structure, you found the fish !!

bones
06-29-2007, 07:14 PM
I bought a hummingbirg pirranah max10 at sports chalet for 100 bucks. It's very light and takes 8 AA batteries. I secured it to my tube with one long velcro strap.The batteries last about 4 times out and It shows me all of the structure and fish that I CAN'T catch half of the time....LOL
What freaked me out the last time I was using it in Newport harbor was that a huge bait school went right under me with BIG fish following and when I meen BIG....they were shark size. My friend said ..."Relax...they are probably just sealions" :shock:
I am Very happy with the Fishfinder though :D
Just make sure that you don't get hooked by a Fishfinder that says it's portable. Make sure you read the specs very carefully and see that it operates on a small battery source!

Ronira
06-30-2007, 05:20 AM
I've got the fishing buddy 2202 and allthough it works well it was a pain to mount. Also I have to pull it out of the water if I'm rowing fast or using my trolling motor above the two lowest speeds. Would not recomend one. I wish I had gone with something else. Peace Ron