PDA

View Full Version : Fishing and Fly Fishing the Owens 11/10-12

Carrie
11-12-2007, 07:11 PM
Well I wasn’t originally going to post this report, but I thought twice about it. I have some pictures I am going to put on here but more of it will be in words. In case one does not know all my pics on here have been taken with my camera phone. I have gotten really tired of taking sooo many pics plus I now have a ton of pics of the sierras…lol. Also, this may be a bit technical so bare with….hahaha.

Okay so this is now the end of the fishing season up here. I thought I would go fish for three days in a row. Saturday, the 10th, I went fishing in the Owens River right under the bridge by Laws off Hwy 6. I got there right around 7am or so and of course it was busy. I bought some new stuff for this. I tried using panther martins with, of course, a smell added to it. I used a brand called gravy and it was corn for trout. It looks pink and is sparkly. Smells awful!!! But it works. Within about 15 mins I had a brownie on my line that was about 12 inches.

Here are a few pics:

Me fishing with my waders on in the Owens:
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z121/cjhearn_photos/1110070938.jpg

Nice view:
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z121/cjhearn_photos/1110071105.jpg
One of my fishes:
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z121/cjhearn_photos/1110071115.jpg

About 10 mins later I landed another 12 incher and then maybe 30-45 mins later I landed a nice brownie again. This one was about 18 inches long and a nice size. Unfortunately, as I said not many pics. I really didn’t want to take anymore…lol. I c&rd most of them. After that I wasn’t catching much. I kept getting bites, and I farmed a few of them. Then I got out of the water and went further down stream and tried down there. Several bites but didn’t catch anything. Then I started doing something that I am not used to. I have done quite a bit of fishing with a spinning outfit in the lakes of So Cal using baits. Well I started trying to read the water. Since I was throwing lures and stream fishing I was trying to acquire a new skill. I even tried putting gulp dough around a hook in the center with salmon eggs around the edges and added some gravy/corn smell to it. They were biting on that. I kept trying to figure out where the fish would hide in relation to the water but felt like I didn’t have much practice here so I was struggling. I ran into several fishermen who were friendly and helped in explaining some things to me about stream fishing. The rest of the day I moved up by the gate where the Owens runs next to Pleasant Valley Reservoir. I tried reading the water again with my panther martins, corn and new creative bait ideas. Bites but again didn’t catch much.

The next day, Sunday the 11th, I went fly fishing. Except I had a lesson with Brock’s Fly Fishing. I had a personal instruction class with Gary, the owner, to teach me all the basics to fly fishing. I don’t have any pics of this cuz I was too focused trying to learn…haha! We started in the park in Bishop. Gary demonstrated to me the roll cast, the aerial roll cast, changing directions cast, how to dry off your fly casts, and then I got to practice all of them with him. I personally thought they looked beautiful like an art. Plus, I just loved doing it!!! Then he explained to me why you would use a particular cast for a certain place. Talk about a real skill and very time consuming….plus I just loved the challenge! Then he explained the line, rod, reel to me. The next thing to do was to go to the Owens by Pleasant Valley and explain a few things to me. Gary took out this big bag of bugs to show me. It was time to go over entomology. He actually collected bugs from the Owens and showed them to me. I saw the mayfly, the caddis-fly and the stonefly. Then he explained to me that there are dry flies but we were going to be using nymphs. It was really cloudy, cold and started raining…..blah!! We walked over to our spot in the Owens River and he explained to me how to read the water. What I was already trying to figure out….so it was interesting! He explained how to figure out what bugs to use depending on where u r fishing. So He got out my 9 ft rod and showed me some different knots he uses for fly fishing. We put on a nymph and added some lead a short way up along with a strike indicator. Nymphing is good to do if u can’t see the fish in the water other wise dry flies work too. Anyways, I awkwardly casted with this new pole and line and mended my line to get it to ride the current. After several casts I caught a nice 12 inch rainbow. At that point it was raining, and I tried a few more and caught one more small rainbow. Then it was time to run for Gary’s truck and go cuz it was rainy and windy and my hand was frozen to the pole….haha! I had a blast fly fishing. I would love to buy my own gear and play around with it. I think every good trout fisherman should try it at least once.

Today, the 12th, I was originally going to stick around Sheperd’s creek and fish there. I realized after getting a call from Gary this morning that I forgot to give him his specialty fishing jacket back so I made my trek all the way back to Brock’s Fly fishing in Bishop to drop it off. Afterwards I decided to go find these petroglyphs I had been after for the past few weeks trying to figure out where they were. I drove up hwy 6 and past the Owens River and up a long dirt road and here are some of them:
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z121/cjhearn_photos/1112071147.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z121/cjhearn_photos/1112071133.jpg

I was excited just to find some of them. Being the archaeologist that I am I just had to go see them! I did a small amount of hiking and then went back to the car. Since I had driven all the way up I decided to come back down and fish the Owens River again except in a different spot. I tried some dry flies and a bubble with my spinning outfit. I tried to do what Gary told me and read the water and figure out what bugs they were eating. I tried a mayfly and a few others but got nothing. Then I tried some colorful panther martins, a kastmaster, etc. I got several bites, and one I tried to reel in got off the line. So I was skunked!! Blah! No fish caught today. I spent more time trying to read the water and play with my lures and bait. I was more interested in trying new stuff and trying to figure out the fishe’s environment than in getting any real number of fish caught.

Needless to say this weekend was a blast!! I definitely have acquired new fishing skills from living up here and learning new things! Fishing up here is not only a hobby….it is a lifestyle!

sansou
11-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Very nice Carrie!

That first place you fished looks like where Highway 6 intersects the Owens, right outside of Bishop. If so, that place is chock full of trout. Ridiculous.

Complements on learning the art of flyfishing and learning the bugs. I tried digging a couple times when I was out there for the hellgrammites, but my without a comb it's a waste of time and asking to get pinched.

See you around,

Sansou

retired/lasd
11-13-2007, 06:29 AM
Last week on Wednesday I fished the Owens at Laws Bridge and about 100 yards south of the bridge there was a pool that had at least 300-400 fish. Between 0700 and 0900 using rooster tail lures I caught 28 trout. The entire river was loaded with fish and it was stocked twice last week.

Warm springs Road is also another great place to catch lots of fish.

fullstringer
11-13-2007, 06:54 AM
Nice post Carrie,
I have a trip planned this weekend so hoping to have some.First time up in the sierras.

chris
11-13-2007, 07:48 AM
nice report i need to try some fly fishin it looks so fun your reports are always entertaining thank you

Carrie
11-13-2007, 09:34 AM
Nice post Carrie,
I have a trip planned this weekend so hoping to have some.First time up in the sierras.

Ohh....you will love it. The style of fishing is a little different than in So Cal but it is great!

Very nice Carrie!

That first place you fished looks like where Highway 6 intersects the Owens, right outside of Bishop. If so, that place is chock full of trout. Ridiculous.

Complements on learning the art of flyfishing and learning the bugs. I tried digging a couple times when I was out there for the hellgrammites, but my without a comb it's a waste of time and asking to get pinched.

See you around,

Sansou

Yeah that is where I was! I wasn't really concerned with how many fish I caught as much as technique and understanding a few things about fishing in different environments. It might sound lame but it fascinates me cuz I feel like I am unlocking a code when I try to catch fish. Soo much fun!!

one_leg
11-13-2007, 09:55 AM
Carrie, I love reading your reports because they are always full of awe and wonderment.

Thanks for posting it up.

Did you spot the ancient petroglyph scrawled in powerbait that mentions the Trollmiester?

O_L

fleaflicker
11-13-2007, 05:05 PM
Great report! Glad to see your interest in flyfishing for trout. You are definitely in the right country. No more worms, or playdough crud on your fingers anymore. Leave the garlic for your tastebuds. :banana:

If you're still up there next year, you could hit Crowley with the midge. It was an awesome season on the fly. :D You're welcome any time with me when I'm up there.

Troutman65
11-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Carrie, I enjoy reading your reports also. Congrats on the fly fishing.

Thanks for the nice read.

Troutman65

dooblehaul
11-14-2007, 09:15 AM
That's an awsome trip....Good flyfishing aye? Is the Owens open year round? Just thinking of making a trip up soon. Or did it close last weekend?

tightlines

Homeslice
11-14-2007, 10:19 AM
I've heard the owens is open year-round. check with one of the tackle shops up there. :?

Carrie
11-14-2007, 10:49 AM
That's an awsome trip....Good flyfishing aye? Is the Owens open year round? Just thinking of making a trip up soon. Or did it close last weekend?

tightlines

I asked the same question while I have been living up here. I talked to Gary from Brock's Flyfishing. It is open year round. As long as you stay below Mammoth you won't have to worry about ice or snow. Usually anywhere above Bishop starts requiring chains. The Pleasant Valley area or lower is good fishing for the Owens and especially, as we all have said on here, where hwy 6 crosses the owens under the bridge is a good place to go. Fyfishing here is very successful a majority of the time I have noticed. Stream fishing with a spinnin outfit is very challenging for me since I am so new at using techniques to read water but once u get it ...it is great fun! :D

Sparky70
11-14-2007, 03:36 PM
Carrie,

Nice report and pict.'s That area above Cottonwood creek and lower Owens is only about an hour from my place.
On the way home I can stop by Kennedy Meadows fish for a little while, go down the back-way, hit the Upper-Kern all the way down to Lake Isabella, fish for a little while then back down to Dry Ole Dusty Ridgecrest :D :D

Sparky70

Granny Fish
11-14-2007, 04:12 PM
To think only a little over a year ago, you were new to fishing. :lol: Look at you now! :banana:

Love your reports Carrie!