PDA

View Full Version : Huntington Harbor Leopard

Zamolxes
11-11-2007, 11:51 PM
My friend caught this Leopard Shark off of a dock in Huntington Harbor Saturday night. It was 50 inches long and weighed 17 lb 4 oz. We were both surprised, since we thought Leopards are not supposed to be coming into the harbors. At first when we got a glimpse of the tail, we thought it was a big shovelnose. However, when my friend got it closer to the surface we saw the pattern on it and we both got pretty existed. One of the pictures has my friend's shoe in it as a size reference. I'm the one holding the scale, and to give you another size reference, I'm 6' 1.5" tall and 255 lb.

fishmaniac
11-12-2007, 03:42 AM
Nice Leopard shark!

So how much did it weigh? What # test?

dabiged
11-12-2007, 06:13 AM
congrats, awesome catch.

chris
11-12-2007, 08:09 AM
sweet catch they can pull hard
did you release it or invite it to dinner

Robert trout hunter
11-12-2007, 09:09 AM
Wow nice fish

Zamolxes
11-12-2007, 09:59 AM
The shark weighed 17 pounds and 4 ounces. We let it go (too beautiful of a fish to kill). My friend was using a Daiwa Black Widow spinning reel (the reel is a special edition of the Team Daiwa Tierra 3500) on a Shimano Trevalla 7 foot rod. He was using 20 lb braided line with a heavy fluorocarbon leader (we've found that the heavy leader is necessary as otherwise the line gets easily cut on all the mussels on the legsa of the dock). He caught it on frozen squid.

WalePescado
11-12-2007, 03:09 PM
They are a truely beautiful fish, but truely TASTY as well. I've only caught one legal one but if I ever get another, he/she may very well come home for dinner. Nice catch nonetheless.

ghetto dad
11-12-2007, 04:56 PM
They are a truely beautiful fish, but truely TASTY as well. I've only caught one legal one but if I ever get another, he/she may very well come home for dinner. Nice catch nonetheless.
nice leo bro...great job releasing it. Hey whale, just out of curiosity, my buddy caught one on a sportboat...and the meat STUNK!! Is that normal for leo meat?? Or just sharks in general?? thanks..

KILLA
11-12-2007, 06:40 PM
Great job on the catch and release. Catch them another day. Thats my motto. Thanks for the report, great catch and pics. :D

B. A. Baracus
12-10-2007, 07:10 PM
great catch....your friend must be one hell of a fisherman.....

flyngby
12-10-2007, 07:35 PM
You'll be surprised what you can catch in the Harbors. Lots of fish with cover/protection being the key!!!

The big guys are not stupid.

30 fish species and 10 creatures and counting in the harbors here.

Keep exploring.

RUSSO
12-10-2007, 09:01 PM
NICE REPORT, NICE LEOPARD, and way to go on the CPR. Thats the best part about Bay Fishing, You really never know what you might catch.

rocklee
12-10-2007, 11:07 PM
We let it go (too beautiful of a fish to kill).

I totally agree with you!
Every time I see a Leopard I'm like wow, just look at the patterns and the color,
absolutely beautiful fish!

They are too beautiful to be on somebody's plate

Congrats on the catch
and thanks alot for releasing it!

rock

spiceguy
12-13-2007, 12:54 PM
nice leo bro...great job releasing it. Hey whale, just out of curiosity, my buddy caught one on a sportboat...and the meat STUNK!! Is that normal for leo meat?? Or just sharks in general?? thanks..

They have to be well bled to taste good...

WTG on the CPR. :D

Fisher-of-Men
12-13-2007, 02:35 PM

How does one bleed a shark before preparing to cook it; cut its head off and hang it upside down? :?

Merry Christmas!

Fisher-of-Men

spiceguy
12-13-2007, 03:17 PM

How does one bleed a shark before preparing to cook it; cut its head off and hang it upside down? :?

Merry Christmas!

Fisher-of-Men

This explains it better than I can...

http://www.beach-net.com/Sharkclean.html

Fisher-of-Men
12-13-2007, 03:39 PM
Good stuff! Thanks for the info on how to bleed them. :D

Merry Christmas!

Fisher-of-Men

spiceguy
12-13-2007, 03:54 PM
Good stuff! Thanks for the info on how to bleed them. :D