PDA

View Full Version : Good, Budget Trolling Motor/Fish Finder, and Equipment Q'n..

*CatAddict*
11-09-2007, 08:24 AM
Hello all,

Looking to outfit my new (old) 15' fiberglass tri-hull with a troller and a fish finder.....It already has a swinging transome mount for the motor. Any suggestions on good budget priced equipment and where to buy would be appreciated. Also, what are the electrical needs for a trolling motor? Do I need to go to two (or three) batteries on the boat since I tend to fish for long periods of time?

*Cataddict*

chris
11-09-2007, 10:43 AM
ahh how fun
i went with the minnkota trolling motor they sell them at wal mart now usually aroun 200 dolars
i have 54 thrust power and can make a wake in my 14 fter with a 500 pound load.
on the fish finder someone on the sight suggested a furuno depth sounder which is
different from a fish finder i guess, don't really know. it works good though i can measure
depths and see structure and guess at what the bottom is sand or rock or weed.
now on the batteries it is possible to link them but my trolling motor and my fish finder can't use
the same battery because the troller pulses and interferes with the fish finder
i have fished the troller on just one battery in high current conditions on the ocean
for 6-8 hours and not killed the battery so the 2 bank battery system must kill it.
hope this helps you a little

breeze71
11-09-2007, 11:25 AM
Boats & budgets don't mix :|

Shock
11-09-2007, 01:08 PM
Boats & budgets don't mix :|

Yup, thats like having Wine taste on a beer budget!!!

newbefisher
11-11-2007, 11:39 AM
You can get a Humminbird 717 at BassPro.com for $199. If you get it from the website (if you do, use the sponsor link from this board) before the end of the year you can get a free speedwheel (plus S&H). Cool thing about this finder is that you can connect a GPS to it to get your MPH and be able to plot points with it.

*CatAddict*
11-14-2007, 08:06 AM
Hey Newbie,

Picked up the HB717 with free paddlewheel (mail in offer) at West Marine for the 199 price. I'll let yu know how I like it. Thanks for the lead.

Also picked up a minnkota 40 at Walmart (167.00) used it and like it. Pushed the 15' trihull with a lot of weight just fine at Perris.

chris
11-14-2007, 08:46 AM
sweet

DKCbassman
11-16-2007, 10:23 AM
Stick to color Lowrance for the FF with G.P.S. or Humminbird with side finder mode only! Trolling motor and complications will arise unless you plan on 2-3 bank on-board charger with deep cylcle batteries. Professional installation a must for maximum accuracy on electrics. Trolling Motor Dr. in Long Beach recommended!

GeordyBass
11-16-2007, 09:01 PM
craigslist that!i saw a couple great condition trollers $150!

newbefisher
11-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Hey Newbie,

Picked up the HB717 with free paddlewheel (mail in offer) at West Marine for the 199 price. I'll let yu know how I like it. Thanks for the lead.

Also picked up a minnkota 40 at Walmart (167.00) used it and like it. Pushed the 15' trihull with a lot of weight just fine at Perris.

Nice :!: I have the same trolling motor on my 19' cuddy cabin and it can push it at around 1 mph, so it should push yours just fine. :thumb: I think I might end up selling mine to get something a little bigger.