PDA

View Full Version : Spearfishing at Catalina Island today

Spear Hunter
11-08-2007, 08:32 PM
The four of us loaded up my friend's boat and headed over to Catalina Island for the day. First stop, Ship Rock. No one got anything here, but I saw a nice big school of yellowtail. Couldn't get close enough for a shot. Then we moved to Arrow Point. Three of us diving, all of us got calico bass. Ruben the free diver came back empty handed. Last dive of the day, moved to Little Gieger looking for halibut in the sand. Dropped Ruben the free diver off at Eagle Reef. The three divers came back with nothing but when we picked Ruben up at Eagle Reef he was sporting a 30-pound yellow tail. Here are a few pictures. Not a bad day diving.

calico killer kevin
11-08-2007, 08:41 PM
That's awesome! :D I'd love to go spearfishing someday.

SanDimasLMB
11-08-2007, 09:52 PM
Yellowtail!!!!!!!! How warm was the water? 65?

Nice calicos too! :thumb:

sansou
11-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Very nice on the YT!!

one_leg
11-08-2007, 09:58 PM
Brian, that is awesome. Tell Reuben I said Congratulations!!!!

One_Leg

Oz
11-09-2007, 01:40 AM
sweet day diving i see and one of u guys coming back with a YT...some good eating im sure...sashimiiiiiii timeeeeee 8) congrats

Troutman65
11-09-2007, 11:17 AM
Nice going on the YT.

TM65

fishmaniac
11-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Nice calicos and yt!

How close were you to the bass for the shot?

christainmetalhead909
11-10-2007, 04:57 PM
GLAD TO SEE THE BIG YELLOWS ARE STILL AROUND.

Wingnut
11-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Looks like a lot of fun, nice job on the Yellow! :D

Spear Hunter
11-10-2007, 08:17 PM
I shot those bass at around 10 to 12 feet. I'm going to have to buy an open water gun and give free diving a shot one of these days. I never look at my temp gauge but I was never cold on the dives so I would say the water temp was in th mid 60"s.

rocklee
11-11-2007, 01:45 AM
looks like alot of fun!
I wanna give it a try!

Too bad I already have too many hobies!

Way to go out there!
YT and calicos look at kool

Thanks for the pics and report!

JapanRon
11-11-2007, 02:36 PM
Hi DIN3500,

Question: When Ruben got his yellow .... was he worried about some heavyweight dog or dogs or even a white checking in for a snack?

I think I would not want to be in the water with a yellow any length of time unaccompanied. I figure Ruben came ashore but still had to wonder.

JapanRon

Tail Chaser
11-11-2007, 06:44 PM
Good job on the Yellowtail. :thumb
Rumer has it, Fish get curious and come right up to you while free diving.
I have not fired off a round at a fish yet with my 125cm gun :oops:
Does kick like a 38 special though 8)

SamFisher
11-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Yes, you can get much closer to fish freediving. Less noise the better. Bubbles from your tank also make allot of noise.
As far as your 125, it should be more than enough for reef fish to midsize blue water fish. Just remember that a 125
has allot of power. If you are spearfishing near a reef and hit the rocks or coral, good luck pulling that shaft out of it.
Good idea to stock up on extra shafts. Don't worry to much about the kick...you won't feel it much underwater. I have
a similar gun (a little smaller) but opted to change the single band to a double...more power and easier to load.

You can bring YT closer to you by waving at them with a white glove on. Anther thing you can do to bring them closer is
to strum your bands. You can also try using flashers to bring them in. They are curious fish.

SamFisher

check out http://www.spearboard.com for more freediving info.

SanDimasLMB
11-11-2007, 10:58 PM
Good job on the Yellowtail. :thumb
Rumer has it, Fish get curious and come right up to you while free diving.
I have not fired off a round at a fish yet with my 125cm gun :oops:
Does kick like a 38 special though 8)

I shoot .38 special through revolvers and it does a number on your wrist. Can't imagine that kind of pain on my shoulder :shock:

Spear Hunter
11-12-2007, 07:58 AM
Hi DIN3500,

Question: When Ruben got his yellow .... was he worried about some heavyweight dog or dogs or even a white checking in for a snack?

I think I would not want to be in the water with a yellow any length of time unaccompanied. I figure Ruben came ashore but still had to wonder.

JapanRon

JapanRon,

I've dove with Ruben many times at Catalina and he seems not to worry about whites or dogs at all. Normally he cleans his fish in the water away from the boat and has no concern of this at all. As a matter of fact, this time when I posted this report, I asked him if he was worried about whites and his reply to me was there is no whites. I guess denial is the best medicine.

As far as him going to shore, he stayed out at Eagle Reef for at least an hour and a half while we dove Gieger Cove.

Brian

ironshrimp
11-12-2007, 08:13 AM
nice one guys....I SCUBA as well and to be honest with you, if you're spearing...freediving is the way to go...next thing on my list...

as far as whites...well, according to the stats for every one global shark attack 6 people are bitten by New Yorkers...how's that for denial

there's no way in hell that you can obsess about that shiot when you're diving....just won't work...you keep in way way way in the back of your mind but you can't let it rule your thoughts....now sea lions on the other hand..those things scare the crap out of me...

Tail Chaser
11-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Yes, you can get much closer to fish freediving. Less noise the better. Bubbles from your tank also make allot of noise.
As far as your 125, it should be more than enough for reef fish to midsize blue water fish. Just remember that a 125
has allot of power. If you are spearfishing near a reef and hit the rocks or coral, good luck pulling that shaft out of it.
Good idea to stock up on extra shafts. Don't worry to much about the kick...you won't feel it much underwater. I have
a similar gun (a little smaller) but opted to change the single band to a double...more power and easier to load.

You can bring YT closer to you by waving at them with a white glove on. Anther thing you can do to bring them closer is
to strum your bands. You can also try using flashers to bring them in. They are curious fish.

SamFisher

check out http://www.spearboard.com for more freediving info.
Thanks for the imfo.
Was on spearboard. Thats where I got the imfo on guns,suits, etc.
Bought this125cm carbon fiber Aimrite for taking yellowtail and WSB up to 50lbs

taylorj11
11-13-2007, 09:09 AM
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET :D