PDA

View Full Version : first time going to the Eastern Sierras- any tips

TROUTMEXICO
11-07-2007, 12:22 AM
Going for the first time with my dad going to fish Convict lake for sure. any suggestions for any other lakes and places to stay . Thank You going on thursday 11-8-07

FreshandSalt
11-07-2007, 07:19 AM
my first tip would have been to go a couple weeks earlier. the dfg has finished planting trout in the sierras till next season. it is normal for this time of year as there is only 8 days left till the 2007 season ends. there are still plenty of fish to be caught but dont get your hopes up high for anything wide open. you gotta try for fish this time of year, but if use the right methods it will pay off with a heavy stringer. this time of year it is quality over quantity. for convict i would suggest fishing the inlet, big fish like to hang around up there towards the end of the season as the water drops a couple degrees.

other than convict, i would suggest bishop creek canyon. i have gone up there in october every year since i can remember. always done good on t he creeks and north lake. intake 2 is ok. south lake can be great if they are stil renting boats, same with sabrina...might wanna call them and find out. if i were you, go up to bishop creek, fish north lake in the early morning hours right when daylight comes up you should have your line in the water. fish might take some time to bite but be patient, it will pay off. work it with all sorts of powerbait, nightcrawlers, and panther martins with a berkely power worm trailer till about 10-11am or till you notice a dcrease in bites. once it dies down there head to creeks. start up at the middle fork of bishop creek right below north lake at the turnoff and work the creek up to lake sabrina. should get some better numbers there. after this , you can work the south fork of the creek on the other side of the canyon all the way up to south lake. should get some fish here too and a couple nicer grade ones, maybe a 3-5 pounder...maybe :wink:

if you do this routine as i told you and it does not pay off then the place is FISHED OUT, which is very rare for it to be completly fished out. so you will get some. if you have a hrd time with this routine, you can always stop by baker creek in big pine on the way back off of 395. they have 2 nice small ponds which is usually easy limits.

as far as a place to stay try convict lake resorts, bishop creek lodge , or cardinal village resort. parchers resort i know is closed. dont know about the others.

Good luck and have a nice trip!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: NOW GET OUT THERE AND KILL SOME FISH!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

-FAS

TROUTMEXICO
11-07-2007, 10:57 PM
Thanks -all give it try. All keep you up date on sunday

sierrajack
11-09-2007, 09:53 AM
Looks like you are already there, so this may be late, but if you can fish Rock Creek lake do so this is one lake you will really like.