PDA

View Full Version : Marsh at Warner and PCH

calico killer kevin
11-03-2007, 10:32 AM
I usually fish the bolsa chica jetty and everytime I pass by an marsh type place where warner meets PCH and I always see people fishing there. I went there last week just to see what bait they were using and what fish they were catching and I saw a guy pull up a nice three pound sargo. Another guy had a legal halibut and a few flounders. Tons of baitfish around there, but don't know how to catch them. They look like 2-3 inch minnows. Will be fishing there later today at high tide. Any suggestions?

Nessie Hunter
11-03-2007, 12:50 PM
I think???? Everything south of Warner is Protected Reserve with no fishing... Could be wrong on that??????

The bait you see are probably Smelt.... You can use a Sabiki rig with small hooks (size 2 ??) and jig enough to fish with... They are hardy and will stay alive in a small bucket for some time if you refresh the water once in awhile....

You can use a bait hook and sliding weight (Texas rig) to fish them, or even a drop shot or Carolina set up......

fish4keep
11-03-2007, 12:59 PM
It's been a while since I fished there. Yeah, those are smelt that you see. It the smelt are that size, use a size 14 hook sabiki tipped with squid. Also it's easier if you bring some bread for chumm. If you are able to catch them use a Carolina rig with size 6 or 4 wire hook. For the sargo, if you could get mussel or ghost shrimp. Good luck...

Fish Dog
11-03-2007, 01:03 PM
Nessie,
The place Kevin's talking about is right behind the mobile home that they use for an office / HQ / visitor center for the refuge there. That is a desiganted fishing access and the only area on the refuge that they allow you to fish. I've fished there a couple times with swimbaits and caught a couple of spoted bass and a halibut that was about 18 inches.

calico killer kevin
11-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I saw some guys catching small flounder and keeping them. Is there a legal size to keep them and how do you catch them? Thanks.

Kevin

SanDimasLMB
11-03-2007, 02:53 PM
I usually fish the bolsa chica jetty and everytime I pass by an marsh type place where warner meets PCH and I always see people fishing there. I went there last week just to see what bait they were using and what fish they were catching and I saw a guy pull up a nice three pound sargo. Another guy had a legal halibut and a few flounders. Tons of baitfish around there, but don't know how to catch them. They look like 2-3 inch minnows. Will be fishing there later today at high tide. Any suggestions?

Are you talking about Huntington Harbor north of Warner or are you talking about the wetlands south of Warner?

Fish Dog
11-03-2007, 03:06 PM
I'm sure this is what they're talking about...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=Huntington+Beach,+CA&ie=UTF8&ll=33.71152,-118.061534&spn=0.003226,0.006952&t=h&z=18&iwloc=addr&om=1

The area just south of the bridge...

calico killer kevin
11-03-2007, 03:36 PM
Yep i'm talking about the area just south of warner with the RV and the parking lot.

fish4keep
11-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I saw some guys catching small flounder and keeping them. Is there a legal size to keep them and how do you catch them? Thanks.

Kevin

Make sure you can tell the difference between a flounder and a halie. Both are flatfish but halies has a 22" min.

PUDD MASTER BAITER
11-08-2007, 06:56 AM
THATS BEEN OUR FISHING SPOT FOR THE LAST FEW WEEKS .MOSTLY THE LITTLE FLOUNDERS ,ARE WHAT YOU CATCH. SOMETIMES IF YOUR LUCKY YOU GET INTO A DECENT SPOTFIN ,SARGO,HALIBUT OR BASS BITE,BUT THOSE LITTLE FLOUNDERS ARE WHAT HIT ALL DAY. WE RELEASE ALL FISH.I DONT THINK ITS A GOOD IDEA, TO EAT ANY THING FROM THAT AREA,BUT TO EACHS OWN. WE WERE NETTING SMELT(LEGALLY) AND GOT A LOAD OF BABY CROAKERS WHICH WE RELEASED. THAT PLACE IS LIKE A NURSERY FOR ALL SPIECES. GOOD LUCK AND....PLEASE PICK UP ALL YOUR TRASH WHEN YOU FISH!!! PEACE OUT MIKE THE PMB.....

SanDimasLMB
11-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Hmmmmm, I'm going to have to heck this place out one day. Where do you park? The fire station and just walk across the street I guess?

Fish Dog
11-09-2007, 08:35 PM
Just park in the parking lot next to the trailer south of Warner, west of the bridge...(take a look at the ariel photo again).

calico killer kevin
11-10-2007, 12:17 AM
I'll probably be there in monday so if you guys are coming give me a hollar. I'll be the 5'3" kid with the USC hat.

PUDD MASTER BAITER
11-10-2007, 07:51 AM
IF YOU GUYS GO. DONT RELIE ON PLASTIC SWIM TAILS. WE HAVENT HAD A HIT YET, UNLESS YOUR DROP SHOTTING ,ANY THING SMALL THAT RESEMBLES A SMALL MINNOW OR SMELT. GHOST SHRIMP ARE THE CANDY BAIT FOR EVEN HALIBUT. I HAVE HAD SUCCESS WITH SMALLER RIP BAITS (REBELS OR RAPALAS) THE SMELT ARE ONLY 3" TO 4 " LONG. SMALL BASS ASSN. IN GREEN BACK ARE A GOOD BAIT TO DROP SHOT. IVE EXPEREMENTED, AND A 24" TAG IS THE TICKET. THE BASS ,CROAKERS AND HALIS DIFFENTLY PREFER THE SMALL BAITS. NOT TO SOUND LIKE MR KNOW IT ALL.JUST SOME ADVICE FROM AN OLD SALT. GOOD LUCK AND PEACE TO ALL MIKE THE PMB......