PDA

View Full Version : convict lake opener

highsierra
04-30-2007, 01:18 AM
This is my first time for the Opener, so I did not know what to expect. Drove past Crowley Lake at about 6am on Saturday, and witness at least 50 boats on the lake. WOW!

On to Convict Lake. Got to the General store where anglers were already parking their vehicles and walking to the lake. :shock: Okay that didn't look to good to us to find a good parking space. Decided to enter the parking lot and turn left till it ends to drop off our equipment and hopefully finding a better parking space. No such luck. We ended up parking about 100 yards further than the general store, way past the Abu Garcia inflatable tent and Berekley booth on the way out of the lake.

As we were walking our way towards the back of the lake, all of a sudden you can hear the howling call of the wild as anglers were either landing their first fish of the opener or their limit. :D What a site to hear and see! Witnessed Western Outdoors took a picture from a boater that was 100 feet out in front of us holding up what they claim was 6 or 7 lbs. rainbow. Way to go! As for us we landed 3 rainbows but released them.

Carrie
04-30-2007, 10:49 AM
Nice report. Yeah....I want to try and fish at Convict in 2 weeks but I am sure it will be packed. Apparently, it sounds like u gotta get there way before 6am??!! LOL. Anyways, looking forward to this and sounds like u had fun up there.

Joshua
04-30-2007, 01:06 PM
Nice report. Yeah....I want to try and fish at Convict in 2 weeks but I am sure it will be packed. Apparently, it sounds like u gotta get there way before 6am??!! LOL. Anyways, looking forward to this and sounds like u had fun up there.
It was crowded because of the opener. The average weekend is not like this

trouttroller
04-30-2007, 01:24 PM
Sunday of the opener isn't as crowded, but the fishing is a lot slower, sat is the day to get the big ones, so everyone gets there early.

Troutman65
04-30-2007, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the report highsierra.

troutdog
04-30-2007, 03:47 PM

Convict is awesome....great place to go trout chasing. Two things to say about it...try and fish the inlet area if you decide to get a boat(or don't mind a long walk), we crushed them last time we fished there. I would also say, do not hesitate to drive to another nearby spot if fishing is slow. I did this two seasons ago and it paid off with a 3.25lb rainbow out of Silver Lake in the June Lake Loop....good luck to you!

TD