PDA

View Full Version : A note for the OUTBORAD and I/O Gassers

Cap'n Ron
10-30-2007, 07:44 AM
Hey all,
Over the last couple of weeks I've been seeing a lot of gassers having problems running your engines.
No power, won't start dead batts, fuel flowing out of carbs like a river.

The new gas is doing a lot of damage to the hoses and rubber & plastic parts in yer engines. I swear.
And if you only use yer boat 1 or 2 times a month, the fuel you leave in yer tanks is going to wreaK HAVOC on yer fuel delivery systems.

What can you do about it?

Yer gonna have to do some research and see what will work best for yer situation.

If it don't start in the driveway, what makes you think it will start at the dock?

Saw one guy last week at Castaic. Came to launch about 4pm. Wife, infant, maybe 6-8 weeks old and a lil I/O runabout. He, backs down the ramp, then he opens the astrovan and starts to load the boat. 15 minutes later he backs it in the water, ties to the first set of dock cleats, loads the wife and infant in the boat and tries to start it. Barely able to turn the engine over. Now it's been a 1/2 hour and boats are trying to load up and the line is getting longer and patience is wearing thin. Oh well

How bout making sure your gear is working b-4 leaving the house. Start it up in the driveway, run it for a couple a seconds, shut it down.
Save you a lot of time and ffort at the dock. Not to mention em bare *** ment.

And if you find yerself needing a top notch HONEST mechanic to FIX yer boat, go see the guys at The Safety Shop in Burbank. When I have a hard time with my toys, I take it in to Marty. Gas & Diesel, Cars, Trucks, Boats. I don't work for him, but his work has gained my trust for a lot of years.

Cap'n Ron
Keepin an eye out for ya.

radray
10-30-2007, 01:18 PM
Cap N' Ron,

After reading this post, I gave Marty a call at the Safety Shop to have him look at my outboard this Thursday. He seemed like a very nice guy based on my phone conversation with him. I am a new boat owner and am looking for an honest and reasonably priced boat mechanic to service my outboard. Currently my 1995 60 HP Johnson outboard for some reason stalls at idle or trolling speeds. It runs fine at full throttle, but stalls at idle and trolling speeds making it a pain to dock and load the boat to the trailer. When I start it on the driveway with the ear muffs, the outboard starts and when the engine has warmed up does not stall, but the moment it is on water, the outboard will stall at idle or low speeds.

Thank you for your post and sharing Cap n' Ron. Can I use you as the person who refered me to him?

Thank you.
Raymond

Bucket bay
10-31-2007, 09:44 AM
Your RPM is too low.

Cap'n Ron
11-07-2007, 09:30 PM
Cap N' Ron,

After reading this post, I gave Marty a call at the Safety Shop to have him look at my outboard this Thursday. He seemed like a very nice guy based on my phone conversation with him. I am a new boat owner and am looking for an honest and reasonably priced boat mechanic to service my outboard. Currently my 1995 60 HP Johnson outboard for some reason stalls at idle or trolling speeds. It runs fine at full throttle, but stalls at idle and trolling speeds making it a pain to dock and load the boat to the trailer. When I start it on the driveway with the ear muffs, the outboard starts and when the engine has warmed up does not stall, but the moment it is on water, the outboard will stall at idle or low speeds.

Thank you for your post and sharing Cap n' Ron. Can I use you as the person who refered me to him?

Thank you.
Raymond

Raymond,
Let Marty know I sent ya to him. Safety Shop does all the work I don't want to or don't have the tools for. Heck he's been wrenching on my stuff for quite a while now including, Boat, Trucks gas and diesel, Cars gas and diesels. After all he has done for me, when I have a problem I call em, and don't worry about it. Fair prices and great service.

Cap'n Ron

Tail Chaser
11-24-2007, 08:24 AM
Ive read that gas gets old very quick now days. When gasoline gets old, In a little as three months. It turns into a brown gummy varnish. Clogs fuel filters and carb floats. Using STA-BIL fuel conditioner. Should keep your gas good for one year. Just like the old days.

Stay away from ethenal blended gasoline. It has alcohal which absorbs moisture from the air. It can eat certain plastics and fibreglass. Also may loosen old gum and dirt in the fuel system.Causing stuck carb floats and clogged fuel filters. (VERY BAD STUFF) :banned: