PDA

View Full Version : Okuma Cold Water Level Wind Reels Can Be Spooled Evenly!

Scuba Chris
03-14-2022, 10:33 AM
Spooling my Okuma Cold Water Reels With No Middle Line Bulging!

I like level wing reels. Great for bottom fishing to trolling. Not a great distance caster though. Back in the 70's i used Penn 209 & 309 Level Winds off the back of my dive boats going to my dive sites. Used to pull up GT's to Cudas & Wahoo & Tunas traveling the shorelines. Then i started going offshore with a bigger boat. Then i almost died getting The Bends so i gave it up.

Now i want to do some recreational trolling the inshores again for fun. My dive partner got a 17 Whaler so i'm putting together the fishing gear needed. Almost done. I wanted to continue using Level Winds along the shorelines & conventionals for open-water. But spooling Level Winds can be frustrating on larger wider units as the monofilament line will accumulate more in the center of the spool.

So employing an old trick i learned from the 80's on spooling these reels. Tilting. First time i've done it in years and i did 2 large new Level Winds perfectly just for this video. This does work. It's not like the +90% of YouTube videos that shows simply winding fresh line on a level wind but not showing how the reel looks like afterwards. Most YouTubers won't show how the line bulges in the center of the reel they just spooled.

https://youtu.be/kmWvIw48rV0