PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday short session. 5/4/21

murrieta angler
05-04-2021, 09:56 AM
Hey all,
Went to Carlsbad this morning around 5:15 ( gray light ).

The rip tides were supposed to die down yesterday evening, well they didn't.
I won't say it was like a washing machine out there, but it wasn't pretty.

The high tide was at 4:15ish at 4.25 ft.
Carlsbad is normally a good spot for tides in between 3.5-2 ft.

When I drove by last week to check out conditions there I saw a very nice trough
that would be doable at around 3-4 ft.
That's why I arrived early.

Fished the area for 2 hours without even a nibble.
98% of my retrieves had salad.
As you all know you aren't going to catch anything when your plastic is trailing eel grass...:mad:

Last thing, water temp was spot on at 60 degrees.

Hope this helps someone.

Robert
<><

bachiboy
05-04-2021, 04:05 PM
Well, that might throw a wrench in my plans. Heading south to take the wife for a Mother's Day weekend. Was thinking of heading out there. May have to take a left at Albuquerque now. lol!

efishent
05-04-2021, 06:50 PM
THank you for update from down south. Well, there is no doubt a lot of green in the water. I came out to my halibutt hole to see a guy walking back from it: got 2 shorts and had many hits on plastics. Since I was there anyway I tossed the LC in open channels and still raked a lot, but got a hit and brough in an energetic 19 incher . The other day went to north LA county and launched on a board in a new place which was a non-stop calico attack, including an especially heavy one I horsed that turned out to be ~20 " hali.
No kelp but bottom rocks seem to have bait and predators around. If swells cooperate I think it can be on if you find clear water.

murrieta angler
05-05-2021, 05:03 PM
Hey all,
Went to Carlsbad this morning around 5:15 ( gray light ).

The rip tides were supposed to die down yesterday evening, well they didn't.
I won't say it was like a washing machine out there, but it wasn't pretty.

The high tide was at 4:15ish at 4.25 ft.
Carlsbad is normally a good spot for tides in between 3.5-2 ft.

When I drove by last week to check out conditions there I saw a very nice trough
that would be doable at around 3-4 ft.
That's why I arrived early.

Fished the area for 2 hours without even a nibble.
98% of my retrieves had salad.
As you all know you aren't going to catch anything when your plastic is trailing eel grass...:mad:

Last thing, water temp was spot on at 60 degrees.

Hope this helps someone.

Robert
<><

Well, that might throw a wrench in my plans. Heading south to take the wife for a Mother's Day weekend. Was thinking of heading out there. May have to take a left at Albuquerque now. lol!

Hey Don,
Sheila has to work this weekend and I might work one day.
let me know what day you were thinking?

murrieta angler
05-05-2021, 05:06 PM
THank you for update from down south. Well, there is no doubt a lot of green in the water. I came out to my halibutt hole to see a guy walking back from it: got 2 shorts and had many hits on plastics. Since I was there anyway I tossed the LC in open channels and still raked a lot, but got a hit and brough in an energetic 19 incher . The other day went to north LA county and launched on a board in a new place which was a non-stop calico attack, including an especially heavy one I horsed that turned out to be ~20 " hali.
No kelp but bottom rocks seem to have bait and predators around. If swells cooperate I think it can be on if you find clear water.

No problem!
I will be heading up north at least a couple times this season, now that I am semi retired...:Cool:
Was going to head out this morning but had an emergency work call for a good amount of change...:Secret:

Take it easy,
Robert
<><