PDA

View Full Version : Poachers! It's that time again.

P.A.W.
01-02-2021, 07:06 AM
Pretty much every year you can expect to see the gang out there. 4 or 5 boats (3 to 5 people per boat) all strung together catching stripers rapid fire, one after another. You can also see their chum baskets and marker buoys. These aren't fishermen. These are meat collectors who don't give a rat's *** about Fish and Game laws and regulations. Winter comes and the liver bite begins signaling the start of poacher season. We regulars see it every year.

NFCD I
01-02-2021, 08:10 AM
Pat, I called DFG yesterday after witnessing and taking pics of the chumming and slaying. I can't prove it, but I'm betting the 10 fish limit doesn't apply to this group.
I could only get the dispatcher from Northern California, but I was assured I would get a call from the local Game Warden.
We all need to do our part at stopping them. Please call DFG if you see them, 1-888-334-2258.

eah
01-02-2021, 08:48 AM
I just called F&G to pass this along. What a bad experience that was. Anyway, I am suppose to get a call from the local warden. Is there anything beyond this post I should say, assuming I get a call. Like are they there on certain days, types of boat, whatever.

NFCD I
01-02-2021, 09:21 AM
One of the boats is a Z7 Nitro and the other is a green Jon Boat. The Nitro is using a chum bag tied to a red locator buoy and the Jon Boat is putting chum in a fish basket and dropping it over the side of the boat.
There were a couple of boats fishing with them that weren't chumming, but they're as guilty as the guys doing the chumming. I took pics, but the CF numbers are blurry.

eah
01-04-2021, 07:03 AM
So, no call from F&G. What can I say.
PAW, did you catch anything?

NFCD I
01-04-2021, 07:51 AM
If I don't get a call today from F&G, I'll call them again tomorrow.

P.A.W.
01-04-2021, 08:06 AM
Yes. Schools are moving around. You never know where or when they'll show up.

Big-Bob
01-04-2021, 12:13 PM
NFCD - Was it the red/white z7 with bimini top?

Last year I watched a rental pull up to ramp 2 unloaded 3 coolers to their vehicle then drive to ramp one to pickup the guy returning the boat. Seems like a lot of extra work unless you're trying to hide something.

I'm still trying to figure out how to infiltrate that underground group. :LOL:

Take photos of the vehicle and trailer plates in the parking lot as well.

P.A.W.
01-04-2021, 03:49 PM
Yup, red and white. I also saw a "delivery" being made to the marina, and then the boat returned to join the flotilla.

NFCD I
01-05-2021, 04:29 PM
I was out at Skinner again today. I watched 4 Asians in a white Boston Whaler chumming for stripers. I have photos, but the CF number is too blurry to read. The state biologist was checking fish counts in the parking lot. They claimed they caught 40 fish. I'm calling BS.
For what it's worth, my next call is to the Game Warden.
It's going to take more than me calling in to stop the poaching. They're destroying our fishery.

NFCD I
01-11-2021, 02:07 PM
If you see poaching or chumming on Lake Skinner or any other So. CA. lake, call Lt. Kyle Chang with the DF&G. 951-897-6193.
I spoke to him today and he's on our side to put an end to chumming for Stripers or any other fresh water fish.

DarkShadow
01-14-2021, 10:14 AM
I spoke to him today and he's on our side to put an end to chumming for Stripers...

It's funny because other DFG employees (on the biology side) I've spoken to before would take gill nets to those small stripers and man them themselves to get these striper fisheries back to what they were years ago if given half the chance.

It's their opinion that the culling of these small stripers is beneficial for not only the current striped bass population, but all species and the health of fisheries in general.

Y'all should be killing a limit of those small stripers each time you head out to the lake if you want to help maintain the fishery. There are 10's of thousands of them everywhere in the lake that are predating upon the forage at the expense of their own species and the all of the others. Do you want DVL to turn into Silverwood or Castaic?...keep throwing them back.

So which is it!?

Are those poachers hurting the fishery?

Or by putting a dent to the juvenile striper population, are they actually helping the fishery?

https://impeccabletablemanners.files.wordpress.com/2016/05/monkey-puppet-omg-shock-gif.gif

MaddFish
01-15-2021, 02:32 AM
Good to know. We will, thanks!

NFCD I
01-15-2021, 08:46 AM
There's a right and an illegal way to go about it. POACHING is ILLEGAL.

DarkShadow
01-15-2021, 11:30 AM
There's a right and an illegal way to go about it. POACHING is ILLEGAL.

I mean, years ago, it was illegal for women and people of color to vote....Remember when it was illegal to purchase alcohol?

It sounds like it's time for the DFW to enact laws that mirror what their biologists preach. I'm still waiting for the limit to be raised on stripers under a certain length.

capoisok
01-15-2021, 12:14 PM
be humane
add predator's to the habitat
something that will spawn

maybe pike or gars

DarkShadow
01-15-2021, 12:42 PM
be humane
add predator's to the habitat
something that will spawn

maybe pike or gars

And have another Lake Davis incident?

No thanks.

These fisheries were strong before the invasion of the stripers. DFW has openly admitted that. But, we can't put the $hi✞ back into the horse, so might as well have it be open season on stripers in these landlocked waters. They have bounties for carp in a lot of lakes, why can't we do the same for this invasive species?

capoisok
01-15-2021, 02:17 PM
before alcohol was illegal

a bunch of drunks [everybody drank anything but water back then]

planted trout ,bass ,and most of the targeted sport fish species in the state
bluegills cats you name it

and i would think most anglers would rather catch a 10lb stripper than a 10lb cardboard hatchery trout

along with foliage fish such as shiners and shad where added as a steady diet for these other invasive non native species

under f&g management both saltwater and freshwater fishery's have been destroyed with missmanagement and stupidity in dealing with biomass

Natural Lefty
01-15-2021, 04:25 PM
I agree with Dark Shadow and KWIN. It should be open season on Striped Bass because they are invasive super-predators which tend to degrade other fisheries. What I don't understand, is why this state still has strict limits on them elsewhere, like the bay area, where they interfere with Salmon.

Perhaps some of these DFG personnel are not eager to prosecute these poachers because they know that Striped Bass populations need to be limited, and we don't need fish like Pike or Gar. Fisheries biologists are learning more about how fisheries work over time. I think most of the damage to fisheries was done early on, mostly by non-biologists who transported non-native fish. For instance, Lake Tahoe used to have a great Lahontan Cutthroat fishery long ago, but people stocked the lake with Rainbow, Brown and Lake Trout, and Kokanee, which wiped out the Cutthroat population. There are even Bluegill and Bass in the lake now. (I have caught them.) California DFW is only recently showing an interest in re-establishing a Cutthroat fishery in the Tahoe area. Perhaps the limits on Striped Bass will be further loosened in the future. There will still be a lot of them around regardless.

capoisok
01-15-2021, 06:05 PM
if it wasn't for non native introduction

you wouldn't have much to catch
cutthroat's were fished out to number's to low to maintain a stable biomass
not eaten out of house and home but decimated by development and pollution

and long before there was a fish and game there was a abundance of natives fish

mostly they and their habitat are gone or protected now

the fish and game was great at dam management and little else

GdHkSet1
01-15-2021, 06:51 PM
If you see poaching or chumming on Lake Skinner or any other So. CA. lake, call Lt. Kyle Chang with the DF&G. 951-897-6193.
I spoke to him today and he's on our side to put an end to chumming for Stripers or any other fresh water fish.

Thanks for the info.

Natural Lefty
01-16-2021, 11:43 AM
Well, there is also habitat degradation and overfishing from earlier generations. That just backs up my point that settlers messed up the environment before scientists started trying to compensate for what happened. Capoisok seems determined to blame the DFW for what largely isn't their fault.

capoisok
01-16-2021, 02:01 PM
no you sound like trump saying it's not his fault

besides partial restoration of native habitat that they by missmanagement ruined
what success have they

raising inferior biologically produced stock as a replacement for natives species hatchery's are the reason for a complete failure as a cover for missmanagement
i mean really show me one native fishery in this state that is as good as it was even fifty years ago

let alone as before management became any sort of a governmentally controlled department

120 years ago

there were 10's of million wild salmon along the pacific coast
the ventura river had between 100 an 300,000 fish alone

san juan creek had native steelheads the same for the san luis rey river had salmon up to tanaja

99% gone

the fed's are a different story they occasionally come up with a good plan that is implemented

capoisok
01-16-2021, 04:06 PM
and this isn't a knock on you but your perspective

fish and game are 90% enforcement not naturlist
for the most part they outsource most of them

it's people like you that help the habitat
and the majority of manhours and money aimed at seeing your sporting experience is as good as they can get it whether hunters or anglers
it's the private sector not the government that keeps things going

you want to see somebody get a ticket call them
you want to organize and fix something that is wrong try calling BASS or trout unlimited maybe the sierra club

lots of state orgs. that are 100 % conservation

money and numbers
that's your team i would hope

Natural Lefty
01-16-2021, 09:38 PM
So, I guess Ranger Rick wasn't nice to you when you were a 10 year old, Capoisok, and you have been carrying a chip on your shoulder ever since. Otherwise, I have no explanation for your misplaced animosity.

There are plenty of examples of fisheries people cooperating with others to help vital habitat, reduce pollution, etc. My brother was a water and soil scientist (recently retired) who helped with the Paiute Cutthroat restoration project around 10 years ago, for instance. He was working with fisheries biologists primarily, who were in charge of the project.

capoisok
01-17-2021, 07:36 AM
so your brother worked for fish and game or he was a fish and game warden

i have dealt with the state and federal officials as a commercial fisherman for more than 50 years and a licensed angler ever since i was old enough to need a license
never in that time have i been cited for anything but safety violations

had a beef with the french over eiz 's that kept me dockside once for 3 months in papeete
the frogs dropped all charges and reimbursed me the cost of our impounded catch

you seem to be a one issue guy so is the cutthroat restoration been a success and returned the native stock to their original historic levels
last i saw at least 95%of their habitat was gone and most of the remaining 5% left was do to nevada state agency's not the state of calif
and most importantly who funded the restoration

Fun Fact: Since 1950, anglers across the United States have paid several billion dollars toward the conservation of waterways, wildlife habitat, and angler education! Anglers (people who go fishing) play a critical role in conserving wild places and animals in the United …

next see what the fed's have given in grants

since 1981 when the frgp regulations where put in place the state has been outspent many folds by the feds for cutthroat habitat restoration and the largest amount of money and time an physical labor comes from and is enacted by private donations and volunteers not the state

so once again i ask you what state fishing project has been a success

need a ticket call the fish and game
want habitat restoration
get a hold of either the feds or private conservation groups

so go tell ranger rick you have trouble thinking

crappiemike
01-17-2021, 12:35 PM
so your brother worked for fish and game or he was a fish and game warden

i have dealt with the state and federal officials as a commercial fisherman for more than 50 years and a licensed angler ever since i was old enough to need a license
never in that time have i been cited for anything but safety violations

had a beef with the french over eiz 's that kept me dockside once for 3 months in papeete
the frogs dropped all charges and reimbursed me the cost of our impounded catch

you seem to be a one issue guy so is the cutthroat restoration been a success and returned the native stock to their original historic levels
last i saw at least 95%of their habitat was gone and most of the remaining 5% left was do to nevada state agency's not the state of calif
and most importantly who funded the restoration

Fun Fact: Since 1950, anglers across the United States have paid several billion dollars toward the conservation of waterways, wildlife habitat, and angler education! Anglers (people who go fishing) play a critical role in conserving wild places and animals in the United …

next see what the fed's have given in grants

since 1981 when the frgp regulations where put in place the state has been outspent many folds by the feds for cutthroat habitat restoration and the largest amount of money and time an physical labor comes from and is enacted by private donations and volunteers not the state

so once again i ask you what state fishing project has been a success

need a ticket call the fish and game
want habitat restoration
get a hold of either the feds or private conservation groups

so go tell ranger rick you have trouble thinking

I hear you’ big government using most of the
Funds for their political agenda , Striper’s need
To go in oil!!!!!

CM

capoisok
01-17-2021, 01:14 PM
the links provides f/w 2021 budget appropriations gives a better perspective of their priorities

it's just the cover page but has links to the entirety

what you might be interested is the request for a decrease of funding for habitat restoration
while increasing the funding for new wardens to enforce reg's and take in citation revenue ,which goes into their general fund not restoration programs
their starting salary is 6 to 7k a month depending on perks they are eligible for

this link breaks down their entire spending budget
https://lao.ca.gov/Publications/Report/4275

this is the new general overview proposed for 2021
https://esd.dof.ca.gov/Documents/bcp/2021/FY2021_ORG3600_BCP3480.pdf

Natural Lefty
01-17-2021, 08:43 PM
I am not a one topic guy by any means. You should know that from reading my comments in the general discussion section. I am more a jack of all trades and an expert on some.

I mentioned Cutthroat Trout because my brother worked for the state water quality control board in Tahoe, where he happened to learn quite a lot about those issues, Capoisok. I think that a lot of state fishing projects have been successful. Golden Trout restoration projects for both strains have been successful too, for example.

Anglers have paid a lot of fees that go toward helping the environment, and that's a good thing. It takes participation, and the more the better. Of course feds, state employees and conservation groups all play a role.

capoisok
01-18-2021, 06:51 AM
the fish an game are are almost exclusively a law enforcement agency
not a conservation agency
their actions of missmanagement over the years are the main reason the states current wildlife stock is in such a dismal state

hatchery fish introduction has been a dismal failure

the sole function is to keep the public happy, and have a trout farm experience

not address the reason for the lack of natural habitat and the quality of biostock

the hatchery program a complete failure resulting in a inferior product

a product ,not a natural restoration of a natural ecosystem

DarkShadow
01-18-2021, 09:42 PM
Caps,

I agree with you 100%.

You make several valid points. DFG stopped being a champion for anglers years ago and became an enforcement agency, and a friend for individuals who put water rights in front of fishery management. (Let's keep growing almonds in California when it costs more to grow them than what they actually sell them for) They think by stocking a few ponds here and there with triploids (don't wanna hurt the native yellow tree frog of Azusa) and catfish during the summer at our local cement ponds, they will keep the masses happy; their own, "let them eat cake" scenario.

I've always been privy of knowing that most of their conservation efforts were backed by private entities, either CalTrout or Trout Unlimited, or individuals who would volunteer their efforts for free.

California anglers should know that the DFW now are just akin to the cashier at the front of the Walmart registers. If there's a spill on Aisle 3? Someone else will take care of it. If there's a group of shoplifters stealing Enfamil and Trojan rubbers behind the glass? Someone else's problem. As long as we get our license revenue.

And when it comes to restoration or enhancements to the fishery, they seem to focus their efforts on causes that will get good publicity, regardless of how many licensed anglers it benefits.

Of course, I wish there was a public forum, just like FNN, where discourse could happen between the employees at DFG and your regular anglers. We can find out where our money is going, and what type of rehabilitation is being done in our state fisheries. Hell, I know a few welders that would donate a few hours of their time to fix the grates at the major lakes that have influxes of striped bass coming down from the state project that are affecting our local fisheries, but that ship has left the harbor years ago and there's no going back from that. But DFG knows that the water management agencies tell THEM what to do, since there's no money in the fishing, but money in the actual water, so recreation (read: fishermen) take a back seat.

I see the Cap said that they are stepping up enforcement, because ticket writing brings in revenue. But when you call their offices to report offenses, and they don't pick up their phones nor dispatch wardens to these lakes where these offenses are occurring, you can't expect our fisheries to improve. Especially when citation fines are going back to the 'general fund' which is another discussion in the making?

And of course, when those 'offenses' go against the opposite of what they preach (in regards to chumming for baby striped bass), you ask if they even keep up to date with their data.

DFW thinks that destroying a natural fish's habitat can be restored by stocking. That there is the problem, and we will never find a solution at this point. We keep paying our 70 dollars every year. And that's all they care about. Making sure they get that money from anglers every year.

And I hate to put DFW employees on the spot, but Kwin...where are you? Is there a medium that we can use to reach out to the DFW to address these grievances and questions, other than "go check the website?" I know that you're on the biology side, but if you have first hand data that there are some bodies of water in Southern California where the predation of the striped bass had gotten so out of control that it affected legendary fisheries, did you raise your hand and perhaps asked if these local slot limits could be changed? I completely understand being such at the lower level of the rung that nothing you say gets taken into consideration, put perhaps with the help of licensed anglers, there could be some headway to help our fisheries.

contium
01-28-2021, 09:29 AM
Why are there even limits on stripers in Skinner? They are there unintentionally and have destroyed the lake. They are over populated and are stunted. She be a law that you have to kill everyone you catch.

NFCD I
01-28-2021, 09:31 AM
(I saw a great trick at the lake yesterday. After a guy and his wife, I'm guessing she's his wife, finished poaching well over 50 stripers by chumming. He dropped her off at the # 2 ramp with an ice chest. He then took his boat around to the #1 ramp and put it on his trailer. He then drove over to pick her up at the #2 ramp.
Why do you suppose they went through the trouble of dropping her off first?

DarkShadow
01-28-2021, 11:08 AM
Why are there even limits on stripers in Skinner? They are there unintentionally and have destroyed the lake. They are over populated and are stunted. She be a law that you have to kill everyone you catch.

https://www.icegif.com/wp-content/uploads/clapping-icegif-4.gif

Why do you suppose they went through the trouble of dropping her off first?

Oooh, oooh, i know this one!

https://i.gifer.com/origin/75/7585ca90bce00c99a227da2ffcbd522a_w200.gif

Because there's a non sensical law prohibiting the removal of more than 10 stunted apex predators that have destroyed and continue to destroy our fisheries, and they didn't want to get a ticket by breaking a law that should be amended anyhow?

NFCD I
01-28-2021, 12:17 PM
I guess I'm missing the point. I enjoy fishing. I fish for Stripers, LMB, Bluegill, and crappie occasionally. I, and my family, enjoy eating Stripers. Hell, we eat about any type of fish other than Carp and LMB. Explain to me one more time how Stripers are ruining the fishery. I caught and had a mount made of a 10.5# LMB I caught at Perris back in 2010. Perris also has Stripers.
I'm all for a larger limit on Stripers. I also agree there should be a slot limit on them.
I'm against people coming to the lake and not following the RULES and LAWS.

Askwhy
01-28-2021, 04:36 PM
I guess I'm missing the point. I enjoy fishing. I fish for Stripers, LMB, Bluegill, and crappie occasionally. I, and my family, enjoy eating Stripers. Hell, we eat about any type of fish other than Carp and LMB. Explain to me one more time how Stripers are ruining the fishery. I caught and had a mount made of a 10.5# LMB I caught at Perris back in 2010. Perris also has Stripers.
I'm all for a larger limit on Stripers. I also agree there should be a slot limit on them.

NCFD I agree with you 100% I think the thread got lost from it’s original intention.
Here’s the bottom line though the fish and game wardens usually walk the shores or confront you as your leaving the lake which really only gets those that either have no current license or no license at all , it also sometimes catch’s those that like to fish with a abundance of poles .
Years back I was fishing the San Diego bay and we got boarded by the fish and game as they were actually on the water enforcing the rules making sure you had proper life vests , legal size fish and current license etc .
I’m thinking in all the years I’ve fished this lake not once can I remember seeing them on the lake , that might be the answer to keeping the fishery alive for those of us who enjoy catching fish .

DarkShadow
01-28-2021, 07:38 PM
Explain to me one more time how Stripers are ruining the fishery.

Research is at your fingertips, NFCD. Why explain when you yourself can do the research?

Here's a start down the rabbit hole: http://www.fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?90323-Sat-10-26

That's the same thread where I pulled up the quote I posted above, which comes from our esteemed member "Kwin," who is a Department of Fish and Wildlife biologist from the Southern District, who advocates the removal of as many juvenile stripers that anglers can catch. I believe the saying is, this information is "from the horse's mouth."

You can also peruse through anecdotal evidence, which shows that the fisheries in which the striped bass has gotten a foot hold (Castaic, Pyramid, Silverwood, i.e, reservoirs connected to the state water project (coincidence?), have taken a shot.

With that mentality, you'd be the guy "who feels women should be allowed to vote in 1919," but would chastise them for breaking the law if they tried to vote. So you know the law is inconsistent with reality, but still chastise others that break it.

Would you send a 'pothead' to San Quentin for life smoking a doob, but then turn around and say "it's ok to smoke marijuana?" If you're "all for a larger limit on Stripers" and "agree there should be a slot limit on them," why do you agree with the law on the books if they don't reflect with what what you just said you 'are all for?'

The great thing about this country, from the federal government to state and local agencies, is that archaic laws have the ability to be changed, and constantly do. Unfortunately, the DFW today doesn't have the resources to review the majority of their slot limit regulations because they're unique for every geographical area, and my opinion is that perhaps it's time that these laws are reviewed and changed for the betterment of the fishery, which would enhance the angling experience, regardless if you soak bait for stripers, or are fishing tournaments for largemouth bass.

How can we change these rules when people are gung ho about keeping the status quo?

When a DFG biologist is advocating the removal of as many juveline stripers as you can to assist a fishery, I'm going to side with the side of science, and will advocate the change of these laws that are obviously not written to assist to revival of many of our fisheries.

Now, you're not getting let off the hook so easily. After you read the post that I referred to earlier, and whose URL I just posted right now, I'd like to know your opinion again. Remember. That's a DFG biologist that has posted their expert opinion on this matter. Hopefully after reading that thread, you'll be on the path on getting your answer on "how the Stripers are ruining our fishery."

Tight lines!

kwin
01-29-2021, 11:31 AM
The F&G Commission denied our attempt to raise the limit on Striped Bass over 20 years ago. Added recent push back from anglers in NorCal who do not want the limit increased from 2@ 18" on the Delta to a 10 with no size limit would not help the cause to increase the limit here either. As a matter of fact, most all anglers cannot and do not catch limits of 10 on a regular basis to give weight for any push toward increasing the limit here again.

Over limits and chumming are unlawful and it is an anglers personal responsibility to abide by the laws set forth, and enforcements job to enforce the regulations if they are not. That said, given all of the variables in play, I believe 10 with no size restriction is an adequate management tool if they are abided.

Our Lk Skinner angler surveys show that, in 2020, there were 2,321 striped bass reported caught and only 1,406 were kept (61%). While I realize there were likely a minority of anglers fudging their "kept" numbers in the survey, the large sample size and bottom line estimate of slightly over half was kept does not indicate overfishing or over harvest by any stretch. I would say the percentage should be higher......especially if larger specimens are desired. Catch and release of highly fecund species like striped bass in inland waters creates stunted populations.

NFCD I
01-29-2021, 01:41 PM
Thanks for your input Kwin.

Can a given lake have different regulations than others?

DarkShadow
01-29-2021, 01:50 PM
The F&G Commission denied our attempt to raise the limit on Striped Bass over 20 years ago.

How does the process work for revamping legislation? What was the exact reason for the denial? Does the F&G Commission review legislation on a yearly basis? Who recommends the changes? I have this weird feeling that the individuals involved with the changes in legislation are not following scientific data, but are pressured by other sources.

Added recent push back from anglers in NorCal who do not want the limit increased from 2@ 18" on the Delta to a 10 with no size limit would not help the cause to increase the limit here either.

Understandable, but IMO, we're talking apples and oranges. Will you not agree that the Delta is a completely different ecosystem than our landlocked reservoirs? (Probably why the average size of the stripers I've caught in the Delta are a wee *tad* larger than the runts down here?) And, shouldn't each ecosystem be analyzed separately?

As a matter of fact, most all anglers cannot and do not catch limits of 10 on a regular basis to give weight for any push toward increasing the limit here again.

According to this post, there are 'poachers' who are catching 50 fish! Get those guys on the payroll.

Over limits and chumming are unlawful and it is an anglers personal responsibility to abide by the laws set forth, and enforcements job to enforce the regulations if they are not. That said, given all of the variables in play, I believe 10 with no size restriction is an adequate management tool if they are abided.

But if most all anglers are not catching limits of 10, why not raise the limit to 25? That way, the individuals who have dialed down the bite can benefit from the raised limit, which will essentially help the lake in the long run?

Our Lk Skinner angler surveys show that, in 2020, there were 2,321 striped bass reported caught and only 1,406 were kept (61%). While I realize there were likely a minority of anglers fudging their "kept" numbers in the survey, the large sample size and bottom line estimate of slightly over half was kept does not indicate overfishing or over harvest by any stretch. I would say the percentage should be higher......especially if larger specimens are desired. Catch and release of highly fecund species like striped bass in inland waters creates stunted populations.

Thank you for information and I bolded the last sentence for emphasis. Essentially, keep throwing those juvenile stripers back, and keep expecting to catch them over and over. Remember the days of double digit stripers being constantly caught at Skinner? I do.

Having said that, what is your personal opinion on the relationship with a highly stunted population of striped bass in our waters, and how it affects other species? How does it affect forage? How does it affect the fishery in general, as we know that it affects it's own species by creating a stunted population.

kwin
01-29-2021, 03:54 PM
Thanks for your input Kwin.

Can a given lake have different regulations than others?

They can..

However, "regulation simplification" is the current direction due to many many anglers who feel regulations are too complicated.

capoisok
01-29-2021, 05:32 PM
when https://fgc.ca.gov/Meetings

and how to be scheduled for for your question and comments to be addressed

https://fgc.ca.gov/Meetings/Public-Participation

let me know how it works out

October
02-01-2021, 08:11 PM
Well this is disappointing. I'm taking the boat out on skinner for the first time tomorrow in hopes to catch some striper. My son has wanted to catch them forever and I thought we'd give it a shot on his birthday. No clue what we're doing as we strictly go for large mouth but we aren't gonna keep more than two just to try them.

carpanglerdude
02-02-2021, 03:20 PM
Silverwood has a robust striped bass population, but also a toxicity warning for consumption of them.
Has there been similar warnings and/or research into other lakes that receive aquaduct water, albeit further down the chain, such as the one being discussed here (Skinner)? Would think they would have similar findings.

October
02-02-2021, 03:44 PM
So just got back. Got skunked. We found the schools all day but I have no clue what I'm doing. They were sticking around 33-40ft of water and hugging the bottom. We threw ice jigs on them and these little lead heads with a spinner blade on them that were suggested by the guys at last chance tackle.

I guess I'll try some lead core and feathers next time. Any tips or suggestions? Thanks

capoisok
02-02-2021, 04:25 PM
https://www.waterboards.ca.gov/water_issues/programs/swamp/docs/coast_study/bog2012may/coast2012factsheet.pdf

2020 report do out this july

most fish species and aquatic bodies in california
whether fresh or oceanic all suffer from pollution and contamination

thus state and federal warnings over consumption being common

kwin
02-05-2021, 10:19 AM
[QUOTE=DarkShadow;806457]But if most all anglers are not catching limits of 10, why not raise the limit to 25? That way, the individuals who have dialed down the bite can benefit from the raised limit, which will essentially help the lake in the long run?
QUOTE]

I'm not going to make regulation changes based upon outlier data.

DarkShadow
02-05-2021, 11:20 AM
I'm still confused in that if most anglers cannot catch a limit (data you provided,) then what damage does increasing the slot limit have to the fishery?

How about we factor the issue at hand to the least common denominator and ask this question:

"Are the anglers who are taking over limits of juvenile striped bass in Lake Skinner making a positive impact on the striper fishery, and the fishery in general?"

Remember that we're not asking about the 'legality' or 'morality' or the 'letter of the law' here. We're simply asking whether these poachers are in essence, helping the fishery by keeping '50' of these juvenile stripers.

capoisok
02-05-2021, 03:43 PM
if you comply by purchasing a annual license

then the real question should be why nothing is being done by the state wildlife department

the lake could be sanitized of 90% of the strippers without destroying the existing biomass of other species

just would mean buckets of money ,our money being used

any of the ways require a lot man hours and effort

i posted links for you to contact the wildlife department
you try to get your question scheduled for a meeting to be addressed at
all you need is a phone

NFCD I
02-18-2021, 08:53 AM
I was told yesterday, by one of the Park Rangers, they now have permission to check ice chests for limits.