PDA

View Full Version : hanging offshore on the cortez

capoisok
04-23-2020, 09:31 AM
just spent 5 days cruzzin mostly around bishop rock to the tanner
water and weather was nice lots of life

water was 60-65

wide open jack and rock fishing most of the tails were in the 30-40lb range
on are third day of bobbing we found a nice spot of bluefin mixed mostly 40-60's with big fish mixed hung a few
biggest was a smidge over 180
the best thing was the lack of any commercial activity only saw 3 boats the entire time
had it all to ourselves

tried fishing deep for spear carp a few night but nothing except sharks
and swords were our main target item for heading out so that was a disappointment

all signs are pointing to a wide open bluefin season and with no shortage of marlin who were flopping and sunning mostly between clemente and the backside of catalina

pulled into avalon and it was closed down so headed back to d.p with 50+tuna for the 3 of us and a couple hundred elbows of cod fillets

first time i had been there in two years and am ready to head back out today
better than hearing trump lie on tv

hard to get rid of fish as there are no restaurants open an not that many fish markets left to sell to

in san diego and pedro a lot of guys with resale permits are just selling it at the dock as their buyers flaked

thats this weeks report

etucker1959
04-23-2020, 01:14 PM
just spent 5 days cruzzin mostly around bishop rock to the tanner
water and weather was nice lots of life

water was 60-65

wide open jack and rock fishing most of the tails were in the 30-40lb range
on are third day of bobbing we found a nice spot of bluefin mixed mostly 40-60's with big fish mixed hung a few
biggest was a smidge over 180
the best thing was the lack of any commercial activity only saw 3 boats the entire time
had it all to ourselves

tried fishing deep for spear carp a few night but nothing except sharks
and swords were our main target item for heading out so that was a disappointment

all signs are pointing to a wide open bluefin season and with no shortage of marlin who were flopping and sunning mostly between clemente and the backside of catalina

pulled into avalon and it was closed down so headed back to d.p with 50+tuna for the 3 of us and a couple hundred elbows of cod fillets

first time i had been there in two years and am ready to head back out today
better than hearing trump lie on tv

hard to get rid of fish as there are no restaurants open an not that many fish markets left to sell to

in san diego and pedro a lot of guys with resale permits are just selling it at the dock as their buyers flaked

thats this weeks report

Great report! No Mud Swords but 50 tuna and sack of cod fillets are a nice consolation prize! Lol

TUNAVIC
04-24-2020, 08:30 AM
Very nice,awesome trip,glad to hear!

Cya Tuna Vic

CrownTown
04-24-2020, 11:42 AM
Wow great trip! I did not know we had Marlin like that in SoCal. Definitely a bucket list fish of mine. Do you know of any local private charters that go after them? It would save me from having to travel to Mexico or Hawaii to chase after one.

capoisok
04-24-2020, 01:13 PM
not as many fish as there are people looking for them

always been the problem

as a migratory species
it is always now you see them now you don't

as a fishery they are very strong at this time and have been getting better, if not more at least more bigger fish
the end of eastern pacific driftnetting and semi ENFORCED international and national laws

some years for sure less than a dozen are weighed in for the west coast

others maybe in the 1000s

water conditions purple is the winner
not real fussy about temp 64 and up

to know when and were that's a yacht and spotter plane connection you need to network for
lunar cycles and current to me are the most important factor along with the presence of a dead zone to close or too far don't mater
you want to see LIFE

you got a good chance to hang one now to november
just put the hours in and be lucky

now anywhere between in on the beach san diego ,clemente is. newport triangle the most now being seen around the 209 and the front side of avalon

time and luck is the fisherman's friend
skill is the talent of the catchers and the catchers will always lie about who has the most fun

capoisok
04-28-2020, 09:41 AM
doing boat work today
while listening to the mex 200 ton fleet hanging off of guadalupe
heard them blabbing about big spots of yellowfin moving up the line
and with the first tropical depression f1 forming yesterday
everything points to a early push
so hang tight and get your gear ready

Unwinder
05-08-2020, 11:27 AM
Did you catch any bluefin or marlin? If so, what kind of lures are you using?