PDA

View Full Version : Shore Fishing for Trout at Silverwood

Johnd1950
01-05-2020, 12:12 PM
I have not been to Silverwood in years but heading up this week for trout. Where are the hot spots for shore fishing? Best Bait, length of leader? Thanks for the help.

etucker1959
01-05-2020, 12:20 PM
I have not been to Silverwood in years but heading up this week for trout. Where are the hot spots for shore fishing? Best Bait, length of leader? Thanks for the help.

Cleghorn canyon is almost all dried up! So all the trout stockings are going into the main launch ramp area. So fishing around there would be best for trout, unless someone else knows different! Lol

bentrod02
01-06-2020, 12:05 PM
Water levels have been extremely low. Best bet as said before is the marina. Hit the right shoreline of it and fish either off the points or within the coves. However, reports have wind advisories and its not worth your time to head out until the wind dies down throughout the week. Try Thursday or after that. Bait wise since the water temperature has dropped a little bit the schools are probably sort of low. Try the standard 16-18 inches of leader then work your way lower.

goodguy
01-07-2020, 07:47 AM
Yeah, keep an eye on the wind situation... When it gets windy there, fishing is almost impossible.

Ultralight
01-07-2020, 05:09 PM
How often do they stock during winter? I don't need to know the exact day (as I think they keep that under wraps) but would be nice to know that there is ample trout in the vincinity….:)

etucker1959
01-08-2020, 06:56 AM
How often do they stock during winter? I don't need to know the exact day (as I think they keep that under wraps) but would be nice to know that there is ample trout in the vincinity….:)

They do it about every 2 weeks and it's always at the main launch ramp! I've seen guys just stand on the launch ramp and throw mini jigs and do very well!

seal
01-08-2020, 07:58 AM
They do it about every 2 weeks and it's always at the main launch ramp! I've seen guys just stand on the launch ramp and throw mini jigs and do very well!

Bad advice as usual. Launch ramp fishing is not exactly smart and not suppose to be allowed (depending on ranger on staff). Kind of sucks trying to launch or retrieve a boat when people are fishing there.

seal
01-08-2020, 08:00 AM
The fish are spread out. Try inlet areas and take a walk into Miller canyon. Work being done on overflow/dam area causing lake drop, no estimate on when lake will be brought back up.

fishing_freak
01-08-2020, 09:03 AM
Bad advice as usual. Launch ramp fishing is not exactly smart and not suppose to be allowed (depending on ranger on staff). yea your not suppose to fish on the dock launch ramp, i heard a few people got a ticket for doing so

etucker1959
01-08-2020, 12:36 PM
Bad advice as usual. Launch ramp fishing is not exactly smart and not suppose to be allowed (depending on ranger on staff). Kind of sucks trying to launch or retrieve a boat when people are fishing there.

I was just getting the juices rolling! Lol

Ultralight
01-08-2020, 01:37 PM
Thanks everyone. Generally how many lbs do they stock and are there sizeable trout in the stocking - say between 1 and 2 lbs? Thanks again everyone!

etucker1959
01-08-2020, 08:08 PM
Thanks everyone. Generally how many lbs do they stock and are there sizeable trout in the stocking - say between 1 and 2 lbs? Thanks again everyone!

Anybody anybody???? No I guess not! It's usually 1,000 pounds and their decent size.

pastorsheldon
01-09-2020, 10:21 AM

Boy do I ever agree. I have had to honk at people while I am trying to back down to retrieve my boat. Just rude!

etucker1959
01-09-2020, 11:45 AM
Boy do I ever agree. I have had to honk at people while I am trying to back down to retrieve my boat. Just rude!

What's just as Rude is 5 boats fishing 50 feet directly behind the boat ramp! Lol

fishing_freak
01-09-2020, 03:17 PM
biggest stock trout i got there was around 2lb

Piss on Myspace
01-09-2020, 10:11 PM
What's just as Rude is 5 boats fishing 50 feet directly behind the boat ramp! Lol

That doesn’t sound rude or funny at all but more like trivial jealousy and a lack of understanding the laws. It doesn’t impede launching/retrieving and IS completely legal. It gets quite frustrating and a bit dangerous when adults are more worried about catching a damn fish rather than the safety of their children. I have no problem encroaching down on an adult, but kids don’t know any better. On a typical stock weekend I can only launch with a buddy running crowd control at the ramp...again, rude and inconsiderate!

And no, I’m not the guy catching your trouts 50 ft away from the ramp... I’m the one scaring them away with the punker lol

etucker1959
01-10-2020, 03:37 PM
That doesn’t sound rude or funny at all but more like trivial jealousy and a lack of understanding the laws. It doesn’t impede launching/retrieving and IS completely legal. It gets quite frustrating and a bit dangerous when adults are more worried about catching a damn fish rather than the safety of their children. I have no problem encroaching down on an adult, but kids don’t know any better. On a typical stock weekend I can only launch with a buddy running crowd control at the ramp...again, rude and inconsiderate!

And no, I’m not the guy catching your trouts 50 ft away from the ramp... I’m the one scaring them away with the punker lol

5 boats totally blocking the whole ramp exit doesn't impede launching or taking your boat out of the water? Got it!!! Lol

Ultralight
01-21-2020, 02:37 PM
May I ask what you guys use for the stripers from the dock? Do you drop bait down or do you use jerkbaits more towards the surface? Or both?

Thanks in advance for any help.

drifter023
01-21-2020, 07:27 PM
I don't fish the dock but from a boat but I do see them cast out from the dock. Chovies sardines and crawlers always work. Plus you will have a chance at a catfish, also might want to try some liver works great some times good luck out there....

etucker1959
01-22-2020, 03:39 AM
May I ask what you guys use for the stripes from the dock? Do you drop bait down or do you use jerkbaits more towards the surface? Or both?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Driftier is 100% right on the baits. Night crawlers and cut anchovies or sardines is the way to go! (I do fish the docks a lot, so my info is from experience) The dock secrets: the ends are the best! (especially the right side) The fish are suspended near the bottom. So pay attention how far off the bottom your getting bite at! Also what I like to do is work the Night crawler through the water column. Cast to the bottom and slowly work it back! Also light line get's bit best, I use strong #2 and do really well! That's about it and your good to go!

Ultralight
01-22-2020, 03:21 PM
Thanks to the both of you who replied. And etucker1959, really appreciate your sharing so generously from your experience - now and in the past. Thanks.

Ultralight
01-23-2020, 12:30 PM
Etucker1959 and all,

What size hook do you use for the stripers and bait? Is 6 Mosquito far too small? I always thought of Stripers and crankbaits as going together and have far larger hooks.

Also, generally what time of the day do they stock?

Thanks!

Ultralight
01-23-2020, 12:30 PM
Etucker1959 and all,

What size hook do you use for the stripers and bait? Is 6 Mosquito far too small? I always thought of Stripers and crankbaits as going together and have far larger hooks.

Thanks!

etucker1959
01-23-2020, 02:35 PM
Etucker1959 and all,

Thanks!

For Night crawlers and Stripers I like an number 8 bait holder hook. For Sardines and Anchovy's a number 6 is just about right. I don't usually go the day they stock, but I'm pretty sure it's in the morning. I heard this week stock is going to be on Thursday.

Ultralight
01-23-2020, 08:14 PM
Thanks. I was told it is usually Friday. Called noon today and they had not stocked today. But perhaps it happened later in the afternoon? Not sure. Not sure where you heard it is Thurs but perhaps your source is more reliable than at the gate.

bass_newb
01-24-2020, 04:24 PM
Driftier is 100% right on the baits. Night crawlers and cut anchovies or sardines is the way to go! (I do fish the docks a lot, so my info is from experience) The dock secrets: the ends are the best! (especially the right side) The fish are suspended near the bottom. So pay attention how far off the bottom your getting bite at! Also what I like to do is work the Night crawler through the water column. Cast to the bottom and slowly work it back! Also light line get's bit best, I use strong #2 and do really well! That's about it and your good to go!

Hi etucker. Have you tried stripers from shore? Or is the dock the only good place for stripers (if not fishing from boat)?

thanks,
bn

etucker1959
01-24-2020, 05:52 PM
Hi etucker. Have you tried stripers from shore? Or is the dock the only good place for stripers (if not fishing from boat)?

thanks,
bn

For Stripers and Crappie, I'm a dock kinda guy! For trout, I'm fishing Cleghorn Canyon or Miller all the way to San Jose! Lol