PDA

View Full Version : Working on halibut ratio

efishent
11-02-2019, 08:44 PM
The conditions haven’t been better and when a meeting was canceled and the swell was absent, I went straight to the hole that has been producing halibut. The ratio of legals to shorts hasn’t been good for a while, so when I hooked up after 10 min and couple of missed hits and the fish didn’t fight hard, I leisurely worked it to shore. I was ready for in-water release and reached for pliers.

Then I took a quick look through crystal clear water-it looked bigger than expected. I was wading in 2 ft of water with rocks behind me (not the best place to land on high tide), so, very gently I walked the hali with minimal pull, (like a mellow dog on leash) about 200 ft and I found a sandy patch and slid the fish on it.
Nice 28” incher. Expecting folks in town I got hali into a bag and drove home to fillet it and put in fridge. Possibly my shortest session yet..
Enjoy the weekend while conditions last and have fun out there.

murrieta angler
11-05-2019, 06:05 PM
Very nice!
I almost forgot what one looked like.
Sometimes the big ones just lay there and don't put up a struggle.

Thanks for sharing,
Robert
<><

efishent
11-05-2019, 07:27 PM
If you get a chance to get in the surf - it seems like the good time to get them : I went to a similar/new spot today and got 3 shorts (one near legal). It is nice not to worry about swell as waves are 1-2 ft , only problem was a lot of floating veggies, which is what you get close to rocks but it is worth it. Still warm, clear and a tons of small bait.

fishingap
11-22-2019, 04:22 PM
Nice catch!

Nipple Twister
12-13-2019, 11:05 PM
:EyePop: :Applause:

rusn007
12-19-2019, 02:18 PM
Nicely done!

When cleaning it - make sure to check for worms. I found in the few that I caught from the surf.