PDA

View Full Version : Irvine Lake Re-opens - First Catfish Report

vineline
08-01-2019, 09:38 AM
Catfish Report – By Daniela Gavaldon
Anglers will be thrilled to know that Irvine Lake is still aTROPHY catfish lake with Channel, and Blue Catfish still residing innumbers in a variety of size ranges.For3 ½ years, the stocker catfish have been untouched and fattening themselveswith the natural food provided by the lake.
Using braided line and shrimp dipped in Berkley garlic sauce,the catfish in the 8-10 Pound class was plentiful. Between 9 am and 2 pm thebite stayed consistent although a little sluggish taking the bait, the scent offrozen shrimp dipped in Berkley garlic sauce literally brought the catfish to shore. By 2 pm when the sun moved towards the Westthe bite became much more frenzied with the Big Cats coming out to play.Double hook-ups in the7to12 lb class were happening with Marlon Meade reeling in big cat afterbig cat and then BOOM a 15lb trophy Blue was landed by Bryce Edmund.
After pre-fishing the lake it is clear to see that the bigcats will be ready to eat and on the chew.
I recommend fly lining mackerel or shrimp dipped in garlic,use braided line to get through the brush and 2/O or 3/O hooks. You can also go with monofilament 12-15 lbtest with a sliding sinker, chicken livers,nightcrawlers, and mackerel all dipped in garlic.
Get ready the trophies are out there!

etucker1959
08-01-2019, 10:10 AM
Anglers will be thrilled to know that Irvine Lake is still aTROPHY catfish lake with Channel, and Blue Catfish still residing innumbers in a variety of size ranges.For3 ½ years, the stocker catfish have been untouched and fattening themselveswith the natural food provided by the lake.
Using braided line and shrimp dipped in Berkley garlic sauce,the catfish in the 8-10 Pound class was plentiful. Between 9 am and 2 pm thebite stayed consistent although a little sluggish taking the bait, the scent offrozen shrimp dipped in Berkley garlic sauce literally brought the catfish to shore. By 2 pm when the sun moved towards the Westthe bite became much more frenzied with the Big Cats coming out to play.Double hook-ups in the7to12 lb class were happening with Marlon Meade reeling in big cat afterbig cat and then BOOM a 15lb trophy Blue was landed by Bryce Edmund.
After pre-fishing the lake it is clear to see that the bigcats will be ready to eat and on the chew.
I recommend fly lining mackerel or shrimp dipped in garlic,use braided line to get through the brush and 2/O or 3/O hooks. You can also go with monofilament 12-15 lbtest with a sliding sinker, chicken livers,nightcrawlers, and mackerel all dipped in garlic.

I take it you were fishing from the shore. West shore or by trout island?

trollmiester
08-01-2019, 11:54 AM
glad to see everybody back, I am so happy danila only thing missing is mitz -rest in peace

PONTOON
08-01-2019, 11:59 AM
Here we go!

dixoncider
08-01-2019, 01:51 PM
Great to see an actual report here...!!!!

troutdog
08-01-2019, 02:02 PM
Countdown is on, welcome back to "The Vine" everyone!

TD

crappiemike
08-01-2019, 06:05 PM
Forget about the cats it’s all
About the Slabz fattting up !!!

Lol..

CM

etucker1959
08-02-2019, 08:23 AM
I plan on going soon after it re opens, but anyone who's going, do you have a strategy yet? (it's going to be a zoo!) I do and for once I don't want to burn my spot! Lol See you at the lake!!!

etucker1959
08-02-2019, 08:29 AM
What about the hours and day's of the week to be open after the opener?

zzzfish
08-02-2019, 01:04 PM
From OC Park.

Park Hours: Friday-Sunday 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Parking: $5

rvine Lake is scheduled to reopen August 17 to shoreline fishing only, Fridays through Sundays.

* No license required. California Department of Fish and Wildlife fishing regulations regarding fish limits apply.
* Bass (catch-and-release), catfish, carp, bluegill, crappie and sturgeon are in the lake. The lake will not be stocked.
* Shoreline fishing only. No boats, float tubes or other recreational activities available.
* Bait and light snacks available to purchase.
* No alcohol permitted.
* No access to Irvine Ranch Open Space.

Please do not stop or park anywhere along Santiago Canyon Road. The entrance gate will not open until 7 a.m. Anyone stopped or parked along Santiago Canyon Road prior to the opening will be subject to citation. Thank you for your cooperation with regards to the safety of everyone on the road. Please plan your drive accordingly.

etucker1959
08-02-2019, 01:11 PM
From OC Park.

Park Hours: Friday-Sunday 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Parking: $5

rvine Lake is scheduled to reopen August 17 to shoreline fishing only, Fridays through Sundays.

* No license required. California Department of Fish and Wildlife fishing regulations regarding fish limits apply.
* Bass (catch-and-release), catfish, carp, bluegill, crappie and sturgeon are in the lake. The lake will not be stocked.
* Shoreline fishing only. No boats, float tubes or other recreational activities available.
* Bait and light snacks available to purchase.
* No alcohol permitted.
* No access to Irvine Ranch Open Space.

Please do not stop or park anywhere along Santiago Canyon Road. The entrance gate will not open until 7 a.m. Anyone stopped or parked along Santiago Canyon Road prior to the opening will be subject to citation. Thank you for your cooperation with regards to the safety of everyone on the road. Please plan your drive accordingly.

Thank you for the response!

I do have a couple of other questions.

Is the year round parking pass that you buy for Miles square park etc good there?

Also, their not going to allow people to camp out in front of the gate the night before the opener?

So their expecting people to drive back and forth on Santiago Canyon road till 7:00 am and then all turn in there at once?

boomstikit
08-02-2019, 08:20 PM
Please... please... please... allow float tubes. The problems in the past were not the fault of the lake (or lake staff). Can't control heart attacks, suicide, etc.

etucker1959
08-03-2019, 11:51 AM
Please... please... please... allow float tubes. The problems in the past were not the fault of the lake (or lake staff). Can't control heart attacks, suicide, etc.

What the ultimate decision making factor to allow boating or float tubing is the liability of who's in charge! If they can get an insurance carrier to cover them or be willing to self insure, that is really what this all comes down too! Not someone will to allow the public those opportunity's! Think LNL, they took the boats out and have not allowed float tubing since they got rid of the private concessionaire.

bassnet
08-05-2019, 09:28 PM
Forget about the cats it’s all
About the Slabz fattting up !!!

Lol..

CM

Forget about the crappie, it's all about the bass fattening up! just kidding, so stoked it's opening up

etucker1959
08-05-2019, 09:30 PM
It's nice that's it's opening, but without boating it's an different animal!

zzzfish
08-07-2019, 04:28 PM
To my knowledge, your pass will not work since it's not a park that's listed on OC Park website...I may be wrong but that's my interpretation.

I don't know about their parking set-up for the opening day/weekend.

carpanglerdude
08-08-2019, 09:56 AM
How much does it cost to fish there? Can't find on website.

Doghunter
08-08-2019, 03:17 PM
$5 for parking, free to fish. Open 7am - 4pm Friday, Saturday, and Sunday

Fish Dog
08-10-2019, 11:15 PM
The Friday through Sunday thing. Is that temporary? Will Irvine be opened all week eventually? Will there eventually be night fishing?

etucker1959
08-11-2019, 12:53 PM
The Friday through Sunday thing. Is that temporary? Will Irvine be opened all week eventually? Will there eventually be night fishing?

Everything I read about the Friday through Sunday thing, is too test the waters on how much interest their is in the place. Obviously the people who made that decision aren't real fishermen! Why????? Because they don't have a clue what a great deal their offering the public for so little money! No fishing license required, no $28 a person to fish there and you get a world class fishery close to LA County and in Orange County for a $5 PARKING FEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plus their going to stock trout in the Winter! Yea, people are going to flock to the place and I'm sure it won't be long before they say, "Honey I think we need to open this place up more!" Lol

Probably no to the night fishing! Why because no other Orange County park has offered that and it's the same people who are running this one!

5shot
08-11-2019, 03:58 PM
Probably no to the night fishing! Why because no other Orange County park has offered that and it's the same people who are running this one!

Tri-Cities isn't open till 10pm anymore?

etucker1959
08-11-2019, 07:00 PM
Tri-Cities isn't open till 10pm anymore?

I was talking to the Ranger at Craig park a few years ago. This was the time they were acquiring Tri-city into their program. He said at the time, he was to be the Ranger at both parks and he was hoping to straighten things out there. (In other words it's the outlier park!) Don't look at them for anything to set a precedent too! All the clean and beautiful Orange County parks (Carbon Canyon, Craig, Ralph B, Miles square, LNL, Irvine Regional and Yorba Linda) all have gates and close at 9:00 pm sharp! So those are the parks I'm comparing Irvine lake too, especially LNL!

chatmar
08-13-2019, 12:36 PM
I take it you were fishing from the shore. West shore or by trout island?

Any response regarding if they were fishing from the shore or a boat? Where from shore were they fishing. I heard that for Saturday we may have to do a lot of walking to get to a fishing spot. Will we not be able to drive our vehicles to where we would like to fish at?

chatmar
08-13-2019, 12:38 PM

Good to see you again young lady. This is Robert Chatman. I have been praying for over 3 years that my favorite place in the world would someday open again. I guess prayers really do get answered. Can someone say King of Cats From The Shoreline!!!

chatmar
08-13-2019, 12:40 PM

Did Marlon try for any Crappie while pre-fishing?

trollmiester
08-13-2019, 12:46 PM
.9 miles one way .9 miles the other weigh get a backpack and remember no alchoal or cigarets

etucker1959
08-13-2019, 03:01 PM
Any response regarding if they were fishing from the shore or a boat? Where from shore were they fishing. I heard that for Saturday we may have to do a lot of walking to get to a fishing spot. Will we not be able to drive our vehicles to where we would like to fish at?

That's what I got from the limited amount of information being put out!

Yogis fishing partner
08-16-2019, 01:20 AM
Sounds like a City Dump. I'll go to a beautiful Ocean that nature has bestowed upon us. Can people really be that desperate to fish in a catchment lake whether well stocked with factory fish or not???What ever happened to all those rare huge catfish that were dumped in there when Lion Country Safari went bankrupt?? Truly a lure for the suckers from that area.

YFP

I'll pay the higher prices at DVL.Peris and or Silverwood to catch fresher healthier fish than Irvine has plus I can use my boat if I choose too..:Big Grin::Big Grin:

etucker1959
08-16-2019, 05:53 AM
Sounds like a City Dump. I'll go to a beautiful Ocean that nature has bestowed upon us. Can people really be that desperate to fish in a catchment lake whether well stocked with factory fish or not???What ever happened to all those rare huge catfish that were dumped in there when Lion Country Safari went bankrupt?? Truly a lure for the suckers from that area.

YFP

I'll pay the higher prices at DVL.Peris and or Silverwood to catch fresher healthier fish than Irvine has plus I can use my boat if I choose too..:Big Grin::Big Grin:

That's interesting, I've never seen Irvine Lake called a Dump before! Lol

What really does make it unique, is it's ability to grow Monster Blue Catfish!

It works on the Feed lot principal.

If you stock 5-15lbs Blue Catfish (starter Blue Catfish) and don't kill them and just let them grow. Because of the tremendous amount of food in there, they will grow to almost 100 pounds! But a Blue Catfish life expectancy is only about 20-25 years, so you have to keep re stocking them! Other wise you get down to nothing in the way of Monster Blue Catfish! Their is a bunch in there now that should be some where North of 60 pounds by my calculations! But if their not re-stocked in the next 15 years that fishery will die again! (not much on the natural reproduction that I can tell goes on in there!)

I've got to call you out on that Silverwood thing! You do know their is an advisory on eating too many fish from Lake Silverwood! (eat too many and you could die!) Plus they had an Algae bloom in their so bad recently, they didn't allow any bodily contact with the water! (they were afraid people would get sick or die!) I never heard of any kind of warnings like that at Lake Irvine! But hey, if want to call it a city dump that's ok! But what would the rest of us call Lake Silverwood using the same kind of judging standards? A toxic waste dump, that is also Radioactive!!! Lol Lol Lol

chatmar
08-16-2019, 12:39 PM
That's interesting, I've never seen Irvine Lake called a Dump before! Lol

What really does make it unique, is it's ability to grow Monster Blue Catfish!

It works on the Feed lot principal.

If you stock 5-15lbs Blue catfish and don't kill them and let them grow. Because of the tremendous amount of food in there, they will grow to almost 100 pounds! But a Blue Catfish life expectancy is only about 20-25 years, so you have to keep re stocking them! Other wise you get down to nothing in the way of Monster Blue Catfish! Their is a bunch in there now that should be some where North of 60 pounds by my calculations! But if their not re-stocked in the next 15 years that fishery will die again! (not much on the natural reproduction that I can tell goes on in there!)

I got to call you out on that Silverwood thing! You do know their is an advisory on eating too many fish from Lake Silverwood! (eat too many and you could die!) Plus they had an Algae bloom in their so bad recently, they didn't allow bodily contact with the water! (afraid people could get sick or die!) I never heard any kind of warnings like that at Lake Irvine! But hey, if want to call it a city dump that's ok! But what would the rest of us call Lake Siverwood using the same kind of judging standards? A toxic waste site, that is also Radioactive!!! Lol Lol Lol

etucker, you got any more details regarding the parking and how far will we required to walk (haul fishing gear and stuff) at Irvine going forward? No more parking your car next to good spot next to the water, open up a canopy, set rod holders up, put bells on my cat poles and hold on for a good time.

etucker1959
08-16-2019, 02:59 PM
etucker, you got any more details regarding the parking and how far will we required to walk (haul fishing gear and stuff) at Irvine going forward? No more parking your car next to good spot next to the water, open up a canopy, set rod holders up, put bells on my cat poles and hold on for a good time.

The best I can tell, we all park at the parking lot below the tackle shop and start walking! That's does create some interesting scenarios though, that I 'hope' I can exploit! Lol

muskyman
08-16-2019, 07:02 PM
You guys need to post some pics from the opening

boomstikit
08-17-2019, 03:45 PM
I'm waiting for them to allow float tubes again. Walking the shore... no thanks.

ANGLER-IN-TRAINING
08-17-2019, 04:25 PM
Hopefully the 'powers that be' will realize to take full advantage of this lake, you need to have full access to the lake. Irvine Lake is not a pond, you cannot simply just shore fish around it, it is just to big. Big enough for boating, fishing or whatever. This includes tubing and 'yaking.

eVoked
08-17-2019, 05:17 PM
Went today, was packed (obviously), had many hits in the AM and broke off on some due to the cluster of branches in there, only landed 4 cats though. All were around 8-9 pounds, and 25-28 inches. 52192 52193

JAG107
08-17-2019, 07:10 PM
This is the best news I've heard in a long long time! I can't wait to see if they stock trout, and if they will allow kayaks or tubes. So happy to see Daniela posting again, this makes me so happy! I just got a mailer TODAY that said the lake was re opening, I had no idea til right now!

ANGLER-IN-TRAINING
08-18-2019, 09:50 AM
Nice haul, eVoked!!!

Irvine Lake is such a gem!

I can't wait to go!!!

Midwest
08-18-2019, 03:22 PM
I've never fished Irvine Lake so this morning I headed over a little before 10am. Since it's close, I wanted to do a scouting mission before bringing my kid.

I spent two hours there, fished for fifteen minutes maybe only ten. Logged close to my ten thousand daily steps on my phone first cruising over the east shore, then the west shore looking for a spot that I could grab where I wouldn't be wedging in four feet away from the people on either side or standing knee deep in a mud flat if I land a fish.

Needless to say, no bites. In my time passing all the anglers, I saw no one catch a fish or even have a fish on. I counted 27 anglers leaving as I walked the path, I saw a total of six sunfish between two of them.

The west shore, IMHO, is only marginally fishable given the brushpile you have to fish through in the water. Judging by the amount of gear already readily visible in the brush, count on losing gear unless you've mastered fishing through 20 feet of drowned thicket.

The east shore is less impacted by brush, more mud, more crowded.

Over the hill is the second boat ramp. You can fish there as the ranger told me the shore is open from the point to the boat landing but they are in a pretty good algae bloom he said.

Overall, a beautiful morning for a lake shore hike packing light gear. The OC park pass will be valid. As things settle.down as long as the water district don't drain the lake, things should get better.

eVoked
08-18-2019, 04:06 PM
Went again today, managed 6 catfish between me and my grandpa, 3 and 3. All were around 8-10 pounds.