PDA

View Full Version : Freedive spearfishing at big bear?

team fish on
04-20-2019, 10:35 PM
So I'm looking into freedive spearfishing, and I've read some other forums a few years back about how spearfishing for carp at big bear is allowed. Except I'm not sure if freediving is allowed? Would I be able to just hop in the water and attempt to spear some carp trouble free?

crappiemike
04-20-2019, 11:23 PM
I’m for it!!!

Cm

Viejo
04-22-2019, 08:15 AM
You might look in the CA F&G site in these sections. This is from an old post. Thinking no.

Spearfishing for Trout and Bass in California is NOT LEGAL.

the regs:

"2.09. Possession of Illegal Gear.
Except as otherwise provided, no person shall use or possess, except in his or her home, any landing gear, any nets, except standard landing-type dip nets not exceeding 36 inches in greatest dimension, excluding handle, gaffs or spears within 100 yards of any canal, river, stream, lake or reservoir. Non-electronic underwater viewing devices may not be used for taking fish except under the provisions of Section 2.30.

"2.30. Spearfishing.
Spearfishing is permitted only in:
(a) The Colorado River District for carp, tilapia, goldfish and mullet, all year.
(b) The Valley District for carp, tilapia, goldfish, western sucker, Sacramento blackfish, hardhead, Sacramento pikeminnow and lamprey, from May 1 through September 15, except that no spearfishing is permitted in:
(1) Shasta and Tehama counties (see Section 2.12).
(2) Butte Creek (Butte Co.).
(3) Feather River below Oroville Dam (Butte Co.).
(4) Designated salmon spawning areas.
(c) The Kern River from the Kern-Tulare county line upstream to the Johnsondale Bridge for carp, goldfish, western sucker, hardhead and Sacramento pikeminnow, from May 1 through September 15.
(d) See bullfrogs (Section 5.05).

bassmeister
04-22-2019, 08:48 AM
He is referring to bow fishing for carp. It would have to be from a boat. Not sure if you can do this fish from Shore line. Not freediving with spear guns.

augnmike
04-22-2019, 06:41 PM
I don't believe the OP was talking about Bowfishing he was asking about spear fishing while free diving. Bowfishing at BB is allowed by shore or boat. I wouldn't recommend spearfishing there for safety reasons plus I think they would say you can't "swim" except in designated areas.