PDA

View Full Version : signs everywhere lake perris is coming back

HuskerRod
04-07-2019, 11:58 AM
Really encouraged what I'm seeing at Lake Perris these days. Plenty of cover shallow and deep in the east end. in areas that were once mud there is now deep tree lines, rock piles. etc. Even saw where in a ABA tourni their was a five fish bag of 34 pounds weighed in. With a few good spawns under its belt im encouraged to see what this lake becomes. Also in the biggest shocker I saw an honest to God Loon, as in a bird I've never seen anywhere but Minnesota, swimming by in the shallows. Now if that aint a sign of good things, nothing is...a Loon. Next im expecting to hook a good old spotted bass. Anybody have any info on the Tommie Thompson tourni and how the kids did???

fishmounter
04-07-2019, 04:04 PM
HuskerRod.. Whenever I go out there at LP, we like to count the different bird species we see as we fish. 2 weeks ago we counted 10 different birds, including a Pacific Loon, which I've seen before at the lake. I love seeing when two Western Grebes do their "rushing" or running across the water for almost 100 feet then dive underwater. Pretty cool to see.

old pudd fisher
04-07-2019, 04:20 PM
HuskerRod.. Whenever I go out there at LP, we like to count the different bird species we see as we fish. 2 weeks ago we counted 10 different birds, including a Pacific Loon, which I've seen before at the lake. I love seeing when two Western Grebes do their "rushing" or running across the water for almost 100 feet then dive underwater. Pretty cool to see.

Cool Jeff I love those birds to, Feeling much better after my hospital stay with Pneumonia and Sepsis. Thanks for the PM Jeff Be back soon.

augnmike
04-07-2019, 07:35 PM
Who could have imagined, seeing Loons in California (sorry couldn't resist)

TUNAVIC
04-08-2019, 10:05 AM
That sounds pretty cool,inspires me to make a trip out that way,it’s been awhile!

Cya Tuna Vic

HuskerRod
04-08-2019, 12:55 PM
Who could have imagined, seeing Loons in California (sorry couldn't resist)

Lol...even when the water was low at perris and all seemed lost the place was full of loons...the human kind. They were usually on jet skis going the wrong way around the lake, or not adhering to speed limits, or in restricted areas.

HuskerRod
04-08-2019, 12:56 PM
That sounds pretty cool,inspires me to make a trip out that way,it’s been awhile!

Cya Tuna Vic

Tuna Vic......it was pretty impressive and it will only get better. with the 2024 olympics doing rowing at Perris they will really get the place spiffy in the upcoming years.

kwin
04-08-2019, 04:10 PM
I've seen an arctic loon and blue-footed booby on Lake Skinner on the same day.

augnmike
04-08-2019, 06:42 PM

You guys are killing me with the one liners. But out of respect for bird afficionados I will refrain.

HuskerRod
04-08-2019, 06:52 PM

Kwin...I call your loon and blue footed booby and raise you one flat billed duck

HuskerRod
04-08-2019, 06:53 PM
You guys are killing me with the one liners. But out of respect for bird afficionados I will refrain.

Augnmike...you think thats funny yoy outta see my stand up routine. But seriously, just watch what you wish for. One duck at perris has been boarding boats looking for handouts....he aint shy

augnmike
04-08-2019, 07:55 PM
I appreciate the warning on the hungry Daffy

sodapop
04-08-2019, 09:44 PM
HuskerRod are you the one that had a story about leaving the lake by rangers when you had a huge Flathead on. Then had to have to pay a huge ticket?

HuskerRod
04-09-2019, 09:05 AM
HuskerRod are you the one that had a story about leaving the lake by rangers when you had a huge Flathead on. Then had to have to pay a huge ticket?

Sodapop.....regretfully that was me and that story still comes up from time to time. Generally, after I see someone in society commit a violent crime, theft, or robbery and they get off easier then i did. The fine was over $300 bucks, but i did go back to the same spot the following week and catch the same catfish with my hook from the week before still in the corner of his mouth. I let the big guy go, but thought about keeping it to try to earn back some of that $300 plus bucks that fish caught me. I figure a good 20 meals worth of meat, which runs about $10 a meal at Long John Silvers. I could have earned back a couple hundred bucks in do it yourself meals minus the hush puppies.

Gobigal
04-09-2019, 01:04 PM
Really encouraged what I'm seeing at Lake Perris these days. Plenty of cover shallow and deep in the east end. in areas that were once mud there is now deep tree lines, rock piles. etc. Even saw where in a ABA tourni their was a five fish bag of 34 pounds weighed in. With a few good spawns under its belt im encouraged to see what this lake becomes. Also in the biggest shocker I saw an honest to God Loon, as in a bird I've never seen anywhere but Minnesota, swimming by in the shallows. Now if that aint a sign of good things, nothing is...a Loon. Next im expecting to hook a good old spotted bass. Anybody have any info on the Tommie Thompson tourni and how the kids did???

Good to hear Perris is coming back after the dam construction and recovering water levels. There's one area that I wish would come back from the good 'ol days and that's the great holdover trout fishery. After the lake opened in 1973 there was a terrific trout fishery through the 90's. I fly fished for beautiful, huge 3-4 lb, full-finned trout, surfacing for insects during mornings in the spring months. When the sun came up they would go deeper and hit trolled lures. I know stripers put the kabosh on the holdover trout fishery throughout SoCal, but I can only hope for those days again. Just like Castaic, Silverwood, and more recently DVL, those days are but a parting memory.

HuskerRod
04-09-2019, 03:52 PM
Good to hear Perris is coming back after the dam construction and recovering water levels. There's one area that I wish would come back from the good 'ol days and that's the great holdover trout fishery. After the lake opened in 1973 there was a terrific trout fishery through the 90's. I fly fished for beautiful, huge 3-4 lb, full-finned trout, surfacing for insects during mornings in the spring months. When the sun came up they would go deeper and hit trolled lures. I know stripers put the kabosh on the holdover trout fishery throughout SoCal, but I can only hope for those days again. Just like Castaic, Silverwood, and more recently DVL, those days are but a parting memory.

Oh geez..holdovers at perris? wow.......I did once in early summer about 10-years ago find a beautiful full finned 4-5 pounders laying dead on shore at perris. Probably the last holdover.....RIP...

DarkShadow
04-10-2019, 11:41 AM
Sodapop.....regretfully that was me and that story still comes up from time to time.

Too bad the judge wasn't a fisherperson, Rod. You could've worked that angle.

HuskerRod
04-10-2019, 08:00 PM
Too bad the judge wasn't a fisherperson, Rod. You could've worked that angle.

I thought about asking for a night or two in jail versus the $350 fine. Imagine the jail conversations. Me to an inmate, " what are you in for?" Inmate,"distributing drugs, resisting arrest, parole violations". Inmate to me,"What are you in for?" Me," fishing 15 minutes beyond lake closing time". Im sure the inmates would have ending up on the ground in hyzterical laughter.

sodapop
04-10-2019, 08:51 PM
I thought about asking for a night or two in jail versus the $350 fine. Imagine the jail conversations. Me to an inmate, " what are you in for?" Inmate,"distributing drugs, resisting arrest, parole violations". Inmate to me,"What are you in for?" Me," fishing 15 minutes beyond lake closing time". Im sure the inmates would have ending up on the ground in hyzterical laughter.
That is funny, you have an awesome story to tell people

Ultralight
04-10-2019, 11:19 PM
Thanks for this post. Probably a bit OT but is Perris a good lake to shore fish for panfish? Not a bass guys so I won't know what to do if I was chasing bass. I ask because I have a friend at church who picked up some ultralight rigs for a trip this coming October in the Sierras. He asked me to help him learn how to use his rigs and hook some fish so I figure maybe chase some panfish or anything that is plentiful just so he knows what it feels like with his rig.

Would Perris be good for that? I ask about Perris because he lives not far away from Perris.

Thanks.

HuskerRod
04-11-2019, 08:37 AM
Thanks for this post. Probably a bit OT but is Perris a good lake to shore fish for panfish? Not a bass guys so I won't know what to do if I was chasing bass. I ask because I have a friend at church who picked up some ultralight rigs for a trip this coming October in the Sierras. He asked me to help him learn how to use his rigs and hook some fish so I figure maybe chase some panfish or anything that is plentiful just so he knows what it feels like with his rig.

Would Perris be good for that? I ask about Perris because he lives not far away from Perris.

Thanks.

Certain times of year you can get bluegills from the shore. Look for brush and you got bluegills. The best time of year for gills is just happening on us now.

Piss on Myspace
04-11-2019, 11:21 AM
sucks about the ticket buddy, at least you got your revenge. Thats not the kinda fish story we're after.

Piss on Myspace
04-11-2019, 11:23 AM
Anybody our there lately seeing any carp cruising the shallows yet? anybody have a current water temp?

Cheers!!

FishinTheIE
04-11-2019, 03:19 PM
Was there today. Carp definitely in shallows. Try Rock climbers first but they are everywhere. Couldn’t get the bass to cooperate today. Saw very few bed fish and those that were there were small males. Water in the 63-64 degree range. Not sure if it was a tough day or just tough for me. Tried the tree lines with creature baits, drops shot and senkos. 15-20 foot thinking the females pulled off the beds. Lake was packed with anglers (for a Thursday I was surprised)

halopower
04-11-2019, 05:00 PM
Was there today. Carp definitely in shallows. Try Rock climbers first but they are everywhere. Couldn’t get the bass to cooperate today. Saw very few bed fish and those that were there were small males. Water in the 63-64 degree range. Not sure if it was a tough day or just tough for me. Tried the tree lines with creature baits, drops shot and senkos. 15-20 foot thinking the females pulled off the beds. Lake was packed with anglers (for a Thursday I was surprised)

your assessment of the situation sounds about right compared to what I saw last week .... surprised the senkos in the trees didn't work ..... maybe try jerkbait over the trees or "swimming" a splitshot around and thru the trees ...... (no guarantees ) .... :LOL:

augnmike
04-11-2019, 07:26 PM
FishintheIE I will be there tomorrow sticking carp hopefully. Where is Rock Climbers locates? We will be hitting the entire legal shooting area from the trees N/E to almost Bernasconi

MillsapBoyz
04-11-2019, 09:07 PM
FishintheIE I will be there tomorrow sticking carp hopefully. Where is Rock Climbers locates? We will be hitting the entire legal shooting area from the trees N/E to almost Bernasconi

We saw schools of carp around the small island in the east end. About 6-8 ft. deep.

FishinTheIE
04-11-2019, 09:12 PM
Rock climbers cove is near the outlet bouy line (SW corner of lake). Good luck

FishinTheIE
04-11-2019, 09:18 PM
Thanks Halo. Will try that. I Gave the Vision 110 a few casts but didn’t stick with it.

HuskerRod
04-12-2019, 08:40 AM

That bow fishing carp looks great. It is sort of fishing and hunting all in one. Be awesome if DVL allowed that..crystal clear and submarines over there and a lot of them/.

Piss on Myspace
04-12-2019, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the informative and timely response. Much appreciated, with good information we can all benefit from. Sorry about the slow day, i'm guessing the amount of angler pressure or the drop in the barometer is the culprit. Very surprised the jigs in the tree lines didn't stick a few either. Thanks again IE, Cheers!

augnmike
04-12-2019, 04:30 PM
Super slow day today. Wind came up bad but carp were deep and not plentiful. Hit everything from the Climbers Rock area and all the other legal spots.