PDA

View Full Version : Second paddle out

efishent
02-28-2019, 09:44 PM
The only thing missing after action-packed session a couple days ago was a fish for dinner. Well, today I kept one the right size (18") and after losing tails on all 7 plastics decided to paddle back to the beach. Last time I only had 3 and they continued to shred them to pieces until the tube would fall off the hook.

Again, a lot of 10-12" fish (20-25) and 2-3 legals, mostly calicos today, a bit warmer in kelp and saw bait fish scatter in few places. Still pretty clean surface w/o chop. Nobody out there - I guess all are focused on rockfish opener..

have fun out there.

TUNAVIC
03-01-2019, 08:29 AM
Nice session,white baits,interesting.

Cya Tuna Vic

alpine8fisherman
03-01-2019, 12:49 PM
The only thing missing after action-packed session a couple days ago was a fish for dinner. Well, today I kept one the right size (18") and after losing tails on all 7 plastics decided to paddle back to the beach. Last time I only had 3 and they continued to shred them to pieces until the tube would fall off the hook.

Again, a lot of 10-12" fish (20-25) and 2-3 legals, mostly calicos today, a bit warmer in kelp and saw bait fish scatter in few places. Still pretty clean surface w/o chop. Nobody out there - I guess all are focused on rockfish opener..

have fun out there.

Wow, paddle board fishing must be a challenge. A big one can give you a heck of fight without much leverage, what size rod is best based on your experience?

efishent
03-01-2019, 08:35 PM
Wow, paddle board fishing must be a challenge. A big one can give you a heck of fight without much leverage, what size rod is best based on your experience?

Well, I use a rather floaty performance 9 ft longboard for both surfing and fishing, but paddle board would be much bigger floating platform. I've been dragged by yellowtail in the past and even bonitas can get you in motion. Some time ago I wrote my thoughts on pros and con of surfboard vs kayak, and one thing that stand out is boards are a lot easier to deal with and are way lighter. I use Ugly stick jigging rod, doesn't cast too far but I don't need to since I'm able to position any place/way I want to.

efishent
03-01-2019, 08:42 PM
Nice session,white baits,interesting.

Cya Tuna Vic

I used to get pink+ white tubes (the most unnatural, I know) in packs of 4 (best deal) but I must have bought them all - only white were left. I have used iron too - I think once they are in the mood - anything that wiggles in front will get reaction. My challenge is to find where they are w/o fish finder and try to learn something just to be proven wrong by the ocean on the next trip. Keeps it interesting.