PDA

View Full Version : Turtle Problem

sodapop
09-28-2018, 05:28 PM
I bought two lighted bobbers at Walmart,
for my local pond. They are plenty of 10 to 30 lb catfish,I will catch, only want to catch one.
Problem is I will catch 3 turtles before catching
a catfish is there away to avoid turtles?

TUNAVIC
09-29-2018, 08:23 AM
Caught one myself last time I went catfishing,,unfortunately they’ll eat from the surface to the bottom,this poor guy was hooked bad so I just had to cut the line off as close as I could,as to how to avoid them I’ll be watching closely to learn any tips!

Cya Tuna Vic

drifter023
09-30-2018, 01:44 PM
Nope in havasu you can hook 20lber's. Friend of mine caught one in puddingstone about ten pounds took it home and made turtle soup out of it little tough but not bad tasting.

goodguy
10-02-2018, 07:20 AM
Yeah, I've been having the same problem all over OC. These things are everywhere, and there are tons of them. Frustrating...

Brent
10-04-2018, 08:50 AM
A couple of posts to the right locations and the bucket brigade should clean them out for you.
A lot of them tend to keep and eat just about anything.

DarkShadow
10-05-2018, 10:17 AM
.... is there away to avoid turtles?

Unfortunately not. You can try fishing barbless, so that when you do hook a turtle, you're not spending time doing dental work on them.

A couple of posts to the right locations and the bucket brigade should clean them out for you.

Brent,

The only problem is that you have irresponsible individuals who sell these baby turtles in the first place.

Then you have the less irresponsible individuals who buy them, not knowing that

1. They make horrible pets.

2. They'll grow fast, but "who cares, I'll just dump it in my local lake when it gets too big."

When Echo Park was drained, they must have found a metric ton worth of these red ear sliders all over the place. And this is considering that when I fished there, there would be 5 to 6 turtles in peoples' buckets, as turtle soup was apparently on the menu that day. Even with the uh, harvest of turtles, you'd catch more of them than the catfish that the DFG stocked.

Brent
10-05-2018, 11:46 AM
Unfortunately not. You can try fishing barbless, so that when you do hook a turtle, you're not spending time doing dental work on them.

Brent,

The only problem is that you have irresponsible individuals who sell these baby turtles in the first place.

Then you have the less irresponsible individuals who buy them, not knowing that

1. They make horrible pets.

2. They'll grow fast, but "who cares, I'll just dump it in my local lake when it gets too big."

When Echo Park was drained, they must have found a metric ton worth of these red ear sliders all over the place. And this is considering that when I fished there, there would be 5 to 6 turtles in peoples' buckets, as turtle soup was apparently on the menu that day. Even with the uh, harvest of turtles, you'd catch more of them than the catfish that the DFG stocked.

Yuuuuuummmmmy! Echo Park Turtle Soup! What could possibly be more delicious or nutritious?

DarkShadow
10-05-2018, 12:14 PM
Yuuuuuummmmmy! Echo Park Turtle Soup! What could possibly be more delicious or nutritious?

Hey, to each their own.

But as Chris Rock once said, "I'll eat a pig's @$s if they cook it right."

BALLERONBUDGET
10-05-2018, 09:36 PM
Go to almansor court. Millions there. Even the long nose type
Alhambra sells them as food$20-$30 each among othr types of fish/reptiles, snake gator meat etc

Brent
10-09-2018, 09:36 AM
I saw Mitch McConnel stick his head up at Lake Perris. Does that count?

John Harper
10-09-2018, 10:42 AM
I saw Mitch McConnel stick his head up at Lake Perris. Does that count?

Sure that was his head and not a fleshy appendage found a bit below the waist? Hard to tell, they look the same.

John

Brent
10-16-2018, 01:00 PM
Sure that was his head and not a fleshy appendage found a bit below the waist? Hard to tell, they look the same.

John

LMAO
Might have been him without his glasses on!