PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety when going out on a boat

Althea Hamby
08-09-2018, 10:43 AM
I am not sure if this is the right place to ask for help, but I really wanted to help a friend whom we have invited many times to go boating with us but find it hard to convince.

He is having an anxiety attack just with the idea of him riding a boat. Any tips or ideas you can share for him to get rid of this anxiety attack or boat phobia?

johnnyraptor
08-09-2018, 01:06 PM
i would suggest a 1/2 day trip to get used to the boat. I still get anxious when i go out. So i try to keep my mind on the scenery and take in the breeze when the boat is going out. Once the boat is at a fishing spot you tend to forget about the anxiety because you are trying to land a fish and not get tangled with everyone else's line. lol. Hope your buddy does decide to get out there and enjoy.

etucker1959
08-09-2018, 04:22 PM
I think While E. Coyote might have an answer for you. lol I've seen people panic minutes right out of the harbor. So give him the tiniest sip of what it's like to be on an sport fishing boat. So here is what I saw last year on one of my old favorite sport fishing boats website. The Indian out of Redondo Beach was doing 1 hour boat rides in the open ocean. The boat is a typical sport fishing boat with 1 exception. (it's a rocker) In other words it rolls in the swell more then it should. So if he can handle that, an Half- Day boat is the next logical step. If he can't handle the 1 hour or less boat ride, it's probably a lost cause with just a little invested!

ela
08-09-2018, 10:36 PM
I am not sure if this is the right place to ask for help, but I really wanted to help a friend whom we have invited many times to go boating with us but find it hard to convince.

He is having an anxiety attack just with the idea of him riding a boat. Any tips or ideas you can share for him to get rid of this anxiety attack or boat phobia?
I had the same problem before until I accidentally found lots of Madelo in my buddys cooler. Lol

etucker1959
08-10-2018, 03:03 AM
I had the same problem before until I accidentally found lots of Madelo in my buddys cooler. Lol

That's not as unusual as it sounds. I had a buddy of mine who seasickness and him were real good friends. He took the drugs and crackers and 7 up and barely would get through the day. Till 1 day I gave him some Beer.:Big Grin: The more Beer I gave him the better he would feel! (true story)

sodapop
08-10-2018, 02:29 PM
The wife can take 3 seasickness pills and still get sick.
Unless she pounds 5 beers on boat. She is embarrassed
To pound 5 beers at 6 am

Marley
08-10-2018, 05:22 PM
My brother suffers terribly from anxiety whenever he gets near a fishing boat. Loves to fish, can't do the boat. I would not try to "cure" your friend's anxiety. You might make it worse or worse yet, he might totally freak out and try to make it back to land. That won't end well. It's not at all like motion sickness where there are any number of folk remedies (7-up only makes the vomit taste "better"). There are anxiety meds but that's on him to seek out.

Althea Hamby
08-10-2018, 11:43 PM
agree... love Beer on the boat :LOL:

Althea Hamby
08-10-2018, 11:50 PM
I would really want him to enjoy fishing with us, especially on a fine weather like now. I keep on searching how to help him, and in one forum that I also posted my trouble, one sugggested to help him be prepared emotionally through counseling (https://www.regain.us/advice/attachment/what-does-anxious-attachment-mean-for-you/). A counselor can help him find the reason behind his anxiety and can assist him on how to get over it.

Well, there's no harm in trying but much to gain if counseling can help him.

TUNAVIC
08-12-2018, 09:42 AM
Wow that’s really a bummer but sounds totally believable,may try and start him off slowly.
Examples: Stay in the protected harbors,perhaps on a Duffy (electric boat rental) you can take snacks,beverages,music ect.
If he can do something like this with friends and Family perhaps he can relate being on the water to good times,sure hope so,he’s truly missing out. But this is certainly not to negate his anxiety,I know it can be debilitating.

Cya Tuna Vic

Althea Hamby
08-13-2018, 12:42 PM
Wow that’s really a bummer but sounds totally believable,may try and start him off slowly.
Examples: Stay in the protected harbors,perhaps on a Duffy (electric boat rental) you can take snacks,beverages,music ect.
If he can do something like this with friends and Family perhaps he can relate being on the water to good times,sure hope so,he’s truly missing out. But this is certainly not to negate his anxiety,I know it can be debilitating.

Cya Tuna Vic

great tips!

hushyellowtail
02-12-2019, 11:09 PM
You might take out a group of guys or girls in a 4 knowing that you want to flip. You'll see how much it takes to flip and this could decrease your anxiety in the future. Don't do this if your lake just thawed.