PDA

View Full Version : Legg Lake

Alakai
07-23-2018, 09:23 PM
I heard of a place called Legg Lake today in South El Monte. Anyone have any luck there?

Fourtogo
07-24-2018, 02:23 AM
Very kool model boat lake

josh626
07-24-2018, 05:10 AM
U have to realize in general any lake u fish is only going to be as good as u are. If ur not that experienced and don’t know how to fish u will prob skunk and in return you’ll say the lake sucks but It might just be that you suck or vice versa u might be a good angler and do good so then the lake will be a good lake. It all comes down to the individual and if they learn that body of water in any lake not just this one in particular.

Alakai
07-24-2018, 07:41 AM
So are there many catfish in there? Other kinds of fish? I used to go to Cerritos lake and apparently the birds eat all the fish so not much in there

TUNAVIC
07-24-2018, 08:09 AM
They eat them in Legg Lake also,mostly the trout,there are 3 lakes there. There’s the North lake,middle lake and the south lake,they all have fish,bluegill,bass,catfish,crappie,trout when stocked. When it gets hot,like now,it gets pretty thick with moss/algae and things slow down,the guys who know how to fish it can still produce some fish,you’ll have to check when they stock catfish which is the only thing they would be stocking this time of year.

Cya Tuna Vic

jonshibata1
07-24-2018, 05:08 PM
I grew up in Montebello and fished that lake regularly for many years. I heard a bunch of thugs hang out there and treat it like they own the lake and hassle people trying to fish. I'd also be worried about getting jacked there if you stay until dark.

TUNAVIC
07-25-2018, 10:07 AM
I grew up in Montebello and fished that lake regularly for many years. I heard a bunch of thugs hang out there and treat it like they own the lake and hassle people trying to fish. I'd also be worried about getting jacked there if you stay until dark.

Not so much anymore,I’m there once a week,they actually have a great group of officers who,patrol that lake.
Cya Tuna Vic

BALLERONBUDGET
07-25-2018, 10:29 AM
Not so much anymore,I’m there once a week,they actually have a great group of officers who,patrol that lake.
Cya Tuna Vic

Couple of rapes last summer, just pack some heat in case u get to some shady areas/
Restrooms etc. similar to PECK RD LAKE bring ur gun to the knife fight if u need.....hhahaaaa

Egster
07-25-2018, 02:32 PM
Agrees with Tunavic with all his info given. It is a rather tough lake for new visitors. Lots of fishing pressure. Though there are people in the know and are catching. You just have to spend the time to learn the lake. As far as I can tell, it is a fairly safe park, people jog there in the morning and are quite popular during the weekends. Many fellow fisherman are quite friendly there, especially if you're a catch and release person.

qaze0
07-25-2018, 05:43 PM
I Fished the double "L" at times its a good lake to learn and how to catch bass and how to watch your back there is some leggsters regulators that prowl for poachers and pedophiles, none the less its a fantastic lake . P.S don't eat the churros they pimp they'll do wonders to your backside.

old pudd fisher
07-25-2018, 10:02 PM
Cya Tuna Vic
The first time that I fished Legg lake was at sunrise with my dad 1958 I think it was right after a trout stocking the day before. We both got limits that morning. I still have the reel I used that day but not the rod.5136351364

Alakai
07-26-2018, 08:38 AM
So maybe weekend mornings is the most safe? I will be going with my 7 year old so do not want any trouble at all

TUNAVIC
07-27-2018, 10:47 AM
So maybe weekend mornings is the most safe? I will be going with my 7 year old so do not want any trouble at all

Please give a report of your experience there,I usually hit the south lake first,they all hold fish,but for some reason I seem to get bit there better. I would never recommend a lake to someone with a child if I didn’t think it was relatively safe, but you have to realize in the society we live in now,nowhere is totally safe,gas station,sports events,Trader Joes,ect,my son his wife and child were almost run over by the guy who took over the TJs a couple of days ago,we just have to be very diligent wherever we are ,take car have a good time and let us know how it went please!

Cya Tuna Vic

fishmounter
07-27-2018, 01:49 PM
It's funny that in that last "City Parks Lakes" report, etucker1959 talked about landing nets, and I mentioned spending the night at a city park lake to fish for big catfish. Well it was actually Legg Lake and we did this several times. Legg Lake (the big lake) had some big Channel Catfish in it. I would never do this now and I am not saying it is ok to break the law and poach any closed waters. I was a crazy young fisherman just trying to have fun and catch some big fish.

Alakai
06-12-2019, 08:05 AM
To revive an old thread. I have been going to Legg nearly each month to go to Dan Hernandez's kids event. It's a neat thing to do but nobody has caught anything or had any bites since we have been going. They fish for bluegill in the very shallow.

I always see people fishing there but not seen anyone catch. I do hear "ghost" stories about catching all kinds of bass and fish in there but never seen anything pulled up myself

smokinflies
10-04-2019, 08:56 PM
I caught my first dd at the LL...