PDA

View Full Version : Eating California Sand Crab? Video report

carpanglerdude
07-17-2018, 08:37 AM
Caught a few sand crabs and decided to cook 'em up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdcB9JFnIGY

Pretty tasty! Like tiny soft-shell crabs.

TUNAVIC
07-21-2018, 10:47 AM
Hmmm interesting,thanks!

Cya Tuna Vic

Brewcrafter
07-21-2018, 05:37 PM
That was interesting, and "well done" (bit of a cooking pun there!). Those were my bait of choice for many years for Barred Surfperch, which would probably still be my preferred use for the bugs. We would harvest a large stash (this was before the limit that is on them now) and then keep several days supply on hand in an insulated picnic cooler and we would cover them with a couple layers of wet burlap (old fish sacks) kept damp with seawater. They would survive just fine for many, many days. Kudos for your adventuresome spirit and well-thought out culinary approach. Did you do anything to "clean" them? for example to just keep flushing them with fresh seawater to flush the sand, etc.out? Similarly, in the Midwest we would often catch a large stash of bait (crawdads, crayfish, mudbugs) and if you kept them in a washtub/bucket/large pot and changed the water out regularly and kept it fresh for several days, it would clean them out and reduce any "muddiness". While I never did it, there were many folks that took the same approach with snapping turtles to improve their flavor. Thanks again for the video!