PDA

View Full Version : Kids to Fairmount

fishmounter
06-09-2018, 09:19 PM
Took all four of my Grandsons (ages 4 to 17) to Fairmount Park around 4 pm to fish for the Bluegill there. Using a 4 lb test line, a No.10 Eagle Claw Circle hook and a small bobber up 24 inches or so from the hook and waxworms for bait, we caught about 40 fish in a couple hours time. My youngest grandson Joseph caught the most fish! Every time I cast out for him, his little foam bobber would go underwater and he'd start reeling in a fish! With circle hooks you don't need to set the hook. The fish hook themselves when you start winding them in. Plus they don't get hooked deep in their throats, so all were released unharmed. We had a lot of fun and there was a lot of smiles! It's a great time and place to take the kids fishing. These are not the huge 1 to 2 pound Lake Perris Bluegill that I have reported about in the past, but still a fun fish for children to catch, without getting bored with slow fishing or no fish being caught at all. Nothing worse to show a young kid about fishing is to have nothing caught and no fish biting at all

carpanglerdude
06-12-2018, 02:15 PM
Took all four of my Grandsons (ages 4 to 17) to Fairmount Park around 4 pm to fish for the Bluegill there. Using a 4 lb test line, a No.10 Eagle Claw Circle hook and a small bobber up 24 inches or so from the hook and waxworms for bait, we caught about 40 fish in a couple hours time. My youngest grandson Joseph caught the most fish! Every time I cast out for him, his little foam bobber would go underwater and he'd start reeling in a fish! With circle hooks you don't need to set the hook. The fish hook themselves when you start winding them in. Plus they don't get hooked deep in their throats, so all were released unharmed. We had a lot of fun and there was a lot of smiles! It's a great time and place to take the kids fishing. These are not the huge 1 to 2 pound Lake Perris Bluegill that I have reported about in the past, but still a fun fish for children to catch, without getting bored with slow fishing or no fish being caught at all. Nothing worse to show a young kid about fishing is to have nothing caught and no fish biting at all

Thanks for the report! Glad to hear the sunfish population is still kicking!

drifter023
06-12-2018, 07:36 PM
Good job Grandpa all mine moved to Texas wish they were here to do the same.

fishmounter
06-12-2018, 09:15 PM
Wow! Finally got some replies! 170 views and finally got a couple of replies. (Thanks carpanglerdude and drifter023). What's up with this site? It's sure not like it used to be..

old pudd fisher
06-12-2018, 09:36 PM
Here is one more Jeff. Good work with the grand kids I have five of them and two are great grand kids believe it or not , wish they lived closer to me. I bet those small Fairmount gills keep the big bass happy.

fishmounter
06-12-2018, 11:10 PM
Hi Ted. Yes I believe they do. There's quite a few baby bass with daddy bass protecting them, plus a lot of 2 to 3 inch fingerling Largemouths all over, so the bigger catchable bass are doing well and as hard to catch as they always have been. Met a young fisherman that claimed to have caught a 12 pounder and gave me a very convincing story about how he caught it, but didn't have his other phone to show me the photo of it..

ichthus
06-13-2018, 08:53 AM
Way to go! That's what it's all about! Good times and great memories.....

Brewcrafter
06-13-2018, 10:43 PM
That is great info. I'm not far from Fairmount, and some C&R action on small perch is always a fun, quick diversion.

BassinPLS
06-14-2018, 08:53 AM
fishmounter,

What a great day/evening with the grandkids.

I recently took my son, 36, grandson, 6, and granddaughter, 10, to DVL for the day. We didn't get a bite. Plus it cost, as I recall, $48 for: parking fee, launch fee, fishing permit fee and Reentry Fee. I can not believe they have the nerve to charges kids for a fishing permit. I asked if the kids need a fishing permit and the gal said "if they're going to fish they do"!! One good thing is they haven't started charging to use the porta potties!

I was totally bummed, as I had built in the last year fishing rods for the grand kids and just wanted them to catch something on their rods. They did enjoy the boat ride!

fishmounter
06-14-2018, 04:22 PM
BassinPLS- Hey why don't you take your son and grandkids to Lake Perris for the great Bluegill bite? You're in Beaumont, so it's not that far away. But try to go on a week day to avoid the crowds. If you want, I can email you the panfish set-up that we use there that works great. Let me know..

BassinPLS
06-15-2018, 08:21 AM
BassinPLS- Hey why don't you take your son and grandkids to Lake Perris for the great Bluegill bite? You're in Beaumont, so it's not that far away. But try to go on a week day to avoid the crowds. If you want, I can email you the panfish set-up that we use there that works great. Let me know..

fishmounter,

I have trouble scheduling a convenient time with my son & grandkids. My son is a Sales Manager with Mercedes and has a weird work schedule. Now that the grandkids are out of school it will be easier to work out a weed day trip to Perris. I am really happy to see Perris finally getting some water back into it. I love the new structure they installed. I haven't fished panfish very much; but I know Perris has some huge panfish. I remember seeing an older gentleman fishing out of a Kayak that only target panfish. He caught panfish that weighed as much as the bass I was catching.

I would love to get your info on how you set up for panfish, please shoot me a PM.

fishmounter
06-19-2018, 09:05 AM
BassinPLS .. I sent you a PM..

BassinPLS
06-22-2018, 08:33 AM
fishmounter,

I replied to your PM...