PDA

View Full Version : Perris recent water level?

fishmounter
05-06-2018, 02:36 PM
OK I'm not asking for a report. Heaven forbid I might give away a fishing spot or hot bite from a very rare Lake Perris fishing report where all those lurkers will flock to. I'm just curious about where the water level is now. How steep is the launch ramp now? Is the water up to "World Record Rock" on the southeast side that is right below the paved road that goes around the lake? Is it up to the trees like it was years ago in the Bernasconi area. I can't fish right now because of a shoulder injury, but hopefully I'll be out there this fall in my float tube.

fishindude
05-06-2018, 05:04 PM
Hi there,

I forgot to take pictures last Thursday when I was there, but the water level is getting near the lake's full capacity now. In a nutshell, the water level has risen high enough to where boats can launch from lot 12(when they open it up) and the fact that the east end is no longer accessible by foot as it is at least 15-20 ft underwater now. Same goes for the Bernasconi Beach area where there used to be so much shoreline access by foot when the water was down.

I'd say give it about 3 to 6 weeks of solid heat and the fishing should be good, if not better for the bass and bluegill when the water temperature rises.

nellatom54
05-06-2018, 07:11 PM
OK I'm not asking for a report. Heaven forbid I might give away a fishing spot or hot bite from a very rare Lake Perris fishing report where all those lurkers will flock to. I'm just curious about where the water level is now. How steep is the launch ramp now? Is the water up to "World Record Rock" on the southeast side that is right below the paved road that goes around the lake? Is it up to the trees like it was years ago in the Bernasconi area. I can't fish right now because of a shoulder injury, but hopefully I'll be out there this fall in my float tube.

wORLD rECORD rOCK IS STILL hIGH AND DRY and the boat ramp is still as steep as it ever was! LOL

Natural Lefty
05-07-2018, 10:38 AM
Hello, Jeff. I was going to respond to this yesterday but my computer locked up. I went to Perris Lake with my family on Saturday to have a looksee. I would not say it's almost full. It appears to be about halfway between where it was when in was drawn down, and full pool. Seventy five % seems pretty accurate. Water is slowly being pumped into the lake and has been since January. By my estimate, it will take several more months to fill at this rate. It looks like the level still needs to come up another 20 - 30 feet to reach full pool.

We went down to the marina docks around 6 p.m. after the gate was closed. There were about 6 people fishing between shore and the gate, and nobody was catching anything, but lo and behold, the one closest to shore hooked into a major bendo and drag screamer while we were there. Unfortunately, after a minute or so, it broke off. He said that he was using a cricket for bait. (?) That surprised me; I figured it was a bass, but it could have been a huge Bluegill or Redear.

NFCD I
05-07-2018, 12:16 PM
I caught the biggest LMB of my life fishing at Perris using a cricket on 2# test line. It weighed in at 10.5#.
You can see it on YouTube under Dale at Perris Lake.

kwin
05-07-2018, 03:01 PM

perris was 15' from full pool last week headed up to 13' from full pool by the end of this week. Up ~20' from the start of 2018.

bassnet
05-08-2018, 06:01 PM
I was out there Sunday morning, impressed with the amount of water since my last trip there in August. Catching was poor for me but it was fun looking around, tire reef is in 25' to 32' of water for the part I checked, the lake is choked with vegetation- no love for me on the MS Slammer, buzzbait, Mission Fish, and some C-rigging around the tires. Cranked the dam a little as well. But nice to get out there and look around, excited for the future! Water was well over 30' in the hole in the east end, and the rocks behind the island are nice and deep! The hike up the ramp is a lot shorter than it's been in the past, but Nellatom54 is right, I don't think they can change the angle lol

castle
05-08-2018, 07:58 PM
Glad to see its coming back

dday07
05-09-2018, 10:28 AM
Just curious can you shore fish off the dam now?

sodapop
05-09-2018, 10:52 AM
Just curious can you shore fish off the dam now?

Yes you can

Natural Lefty
05-09-2018, 04:37 PM
Wow NFCD1. I do think it was probably a good size bass that hit on a cricket, but we will never know. It surprised me when he said he was using a cricket though.

fishmounter
05-11-2018, 12:10 AM
We've had bass take our crickets while fishing for panfish, but also big catfish and even carp. So who knows.. it could have been anything. A large Redear will really bend your rod and pull drag like a freight train too!

Durdy Daug
05-12-2018, 06:36 AM
I'm going to check the lake out today . I will report back on water temp and levels...

Durdy Daug
05-13-2018, 08:03 PM
Went out yesterday for a couple of hours and had only 1 short bite for the 5 hours. I really need to learn a few techniques for Bass fishing. Well the water temps fluctuated from 66 to 69 degrees throughout the day and mostly in the east end of the lake. All the rock piles that I had seen at the east side of the lake, about 15 - 20 feet from the edge of the water, were now under water, the water was very murky so I could not see any more than like about 1 foot down, as I watched my diving crank bait. Hope to learn more this year.

kenmitch
05-16-2018, 05:45 PM
Durdy Daug....Don't get discouraged!

The rising water level is messing with the fishes minds as the areas they're used to going to this time of year are 20ft deeper than last year. The fish are most likely a little dazed and confused still and slowly adjusting while hunting down new territory to call home.

Whenever I plan to go fishing I always watch a episode of Major League Fishing the night before just as a reminder that even the best can get skunked or go many countless hours without even getting a bite....Fish for fun....Not for food!

I live just a couple of miles from Lake Perris and kayak fish it once or twice a week depending on the weather. Not really sure why as I've tried plastics and have caught fish on them, but I'm a crank bait grinding fool. Guess it's the rush I get when the lure gets slammed. The little tap, tap on plastics does nothing for me.

I fished the south and east side of the Island on Monday and wound up catching 3 bass. I peddled out from the launch ramp and caught my 1st bass 2.8lb within 5 minutes of arriving at the Island. Wasn't a huge fish but at least it was aggressive and liked to jump! The 2nd one wasn't even scale worthy .5-.75lb or so. The last one was kind of a strange catch. I tend to throw my crank bait in places others throw a jig or worm. I casted and the lure got stuck in some branched that were about a foot or so out of the water. I really hate going into a fish worthy looking spot to retrieve my lure so I gave it a couple of shakes and it dropped into the water and a 2.4lb bass slammed it instantly. In the end it was three different but similar style crank baits.

kenmitch
05-16-2018, 05:47 PM
Oops...Double posted.

contium
05-20-2018, 09:50 AM
Daily water levels are posted here:

https://cdec.water.ca.gov/dynamicapp/QueryDaily?s=PRR

Max pool elevation is 1588'. So subtract max pool from current to get the lake level. Currently about 11' down from full pool.

Pete Marino
05-23-2018, 06:44 PM
That is correct contium..