PDA

View Full Version : Bedding Largemouth

tcollins169
04-02-2018, 03:32 PM
Hello all,

I am new to this area and am wondering if the largemouth have begun to move in shallow to bed? If so, any baits/locations for largemouth on this lake would be greatly appreciated.

Lady Quagga
04-02-2018, 04:44 PM
http://image.ibb.co/hBtH6c/493.jpg

BassinPLS
04-03-2018, 07:44 AM
tcollins169,

I haven't been to Silverwood for a long time; but my bass club has a tournament there every year, usually in May. The bass are on the beds there in May for sure. Thay go onto the beds at Silverwood a little later tan the rest of the local lake due to the elevation / cooler water temp. I fished Lake Perris last Friday, 3/30/18, and they are definitely on the beds at Perris. I had one biggie wrap me on a bush in about 5 feet of water and I ended up having to break him / her off. I haven't ever seen so many big bass at Perris; but, we could not get them to bite on anything. One of the guys fishing with me dropped a worm down to one in about 4 feet of water and watch it swim around the worm. This happened numerous times as a group of 3 or 4 big females were cruising back and forth under the boat looking for a boy friend...really frustrating. We ended up with only one short; but we talked to a guy on the water that had a couple, fishing a flick shake on a wacky worm. It was a blue bird day, no wind, water temp in the low 60ies. Couldn't have asked for a nicer day, just a tuff bite. Silverwood should start going off in the next month.

etucker1959
04-03-2018, 07:59 AM
Bass fishing in Southern Ca peaks out in the month of April. (for the spawn) You can try any lake that has a good population of Bass and have a good chance of catching one. Buy a copy of Western Outdoor News and check any lake your interested in fishing. Techniques and baits vary, however I'll give you one universally tip. The color "White" on any lure is a winner in the spawn!!!

tcollins169
04-03-2018, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I will check silverwood out again in a week or so. Perris has been good for me lately.

seal
04-03-2018, 09:46 AM
Bass fishing in Southern Ca peaks out in the month of April. (for the spawn) You can try any lake that has a good population of Bass and have a good chance of catching one. Buy a copy of Western Outdoor News and check any lake your interested in fishing. Techniques and baits vary, however I'll give you one universally tip. The color "White" on any lure is a winner in the spawn!!!

The question was bedding bass at Silverwood, the answer was given, May. So far in areas I've been fishing the answer to his question is no they are not on beds. Typically this month they will start moving into the shallower areas in a pre-spawn mode. Tossing a creature bait last night in some of those zones I did not get bit but only put in a couple hours, I expect that to change as the month moves on.

fishing_freak
04-03-2018, 11:45 AM
still too cold a buddy of mine was fishing up there last week he was getting in 20 feet of water and deeper

etucker1959
04-03-2018, 02:04 PM
The question was bedding bass at Silverwood, the answer was given, May. So far in areas I've been fishing the answer to his question is no they are not on beds. Typically this month they will start moving into the shallower areas in a pre-spawn mode. Tossing a creature bait last night in some of those zones I did not get bit but only put in a couple hours, I expect that to change as the month moves on.

One of us must have been drinking!!! (at first I thought it was me) lol So I checked the title of the thread. Bedding Largemouth

Not Bedding Largemouth "only" at Lake Silverwood.

So I guess I'll have what ever "you" been drinking!!! lol

Nope sorry it was me!!!! I missed the part it was put in the Lake Silverwood section. Not general fishing discussion. (my bad)

seal
04-04-2018, 09:16 AM
One of us must have been drinking!!! (at first I thought it was me) lol So I checked the title of the thread. Bedding Largemouth

Not Bedding Largemouth "only" at Lake Silverwood.

So I guess I'll have what ever "you" been drinking!!! lol

Nope sorry it was me!!!! I missed the part it was put in the Lake Silverwood section. Not general fishing discussion. (my bad)

I typically don't drink in the morning so I don't think it was me. But update on the actual request for info., saw some poking around in the shallows last night near a annual bed location, think they are getting frisky.

Lady Quagga
04-04-2018, 09:38 AM
Hey seal!

Glad to see yo hiding! Keep it up!

seal
04-04-2018, 11:46 AM
Hey seal!

Glad to see yo hiding! Keep it up!

I hide at the lake I hide on the Internet. Amenity is my goal in life, kind of like the Kardashians in reverse.

DarkShadow
04-05-2018, 11:13 AM
I hide at the lake I hide on the Internet. Amenity is my goal in life, kind of like the Kardashians in reverse.

You mean anonymity?

Amenities (https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/hotel-amenities-services-icons-vector-icon-set-37653686.jpg) are the goal in my life. Free Wifi!? I'm in!

seal
04-06-2018, 09:39 AM
You mean anonymity?

Amenities (https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/hotel-amenities-services-icons-vector-icon-set-37653686.jpg) are the goal in my life. Free Wifi!? I'm in!

Yep I blame it on old age, most days I can't remember how to spell my name. Thanks for the spellcheck.

khanhqpham
04-15-2018, 06:51 AM
Hello all,

I am new to this area and am wondering if the largemouth have begun to move in shallow to bed? If so, any baits/locations for largemouth on this lake would be greatly appreciated.

Caught one bass on a bed yesterday in 12 feet of water.... super clear water ... on a wacky rigged worm and a tiny DS Hook. I released the fish immediately but noticed it swam away into deeper water never to protect the eggs anymore. I returned 30 minutes later to see that that bed was still unprotected... It’s not like I’m a Tournament fisherman putting the fish in my live well..... Should I stop targeting spawners? Are there studies on the effects of sport fishing during the spawn and future Bass populations? Anyhow me and my buddy caught 6 bass each....... 1 to 3.5 pounders in 15-25 feet of water DS roboworms.... any color as long as its purple.5100251003

BassinPLS
04-15-2018, 08:46 AM
Caught one bass on a bed yesterday in 12 feet of water.... super clear water ... on a wacky rigged worm and a tiny DS Hook. I released the fish immediately but noticed it swam away into deeper water never to protect the eggs anymore. I returned 30 minutes later to see that that bed was still unprotected... It’s not like I’m a Tournament fisherman putting the fish in my live well..... Should I stop targeting spawners? Are there studies on the effects of sport fishing during the spawn and future Bass populations? Anyhow me and my buddy caught 6 bass each....... 1 to 3.5 pounders in 15-25 feet of water DS roboworms.... any color as long as its purple.5100251003

khanhqpham,

As to bed fishing, (which I don't normally do): A buddy of mine was talking with Quinn Grandfors, the State Biologist in this region, about a Tournament permit for our bass club and happened to ask Quinn about the impacts of bed fishing on bass. Quinn's opinion was it has little or no effect on bass, which I found very surprising. He said bass lay some many eggs and then after the spawn they'll will feed on their own fry, along with all of the other fish in the water.

jdogg661420
04-16-2018, 12:23 AM
ive tried to find some bluegill lately and cant find them bass are everywhere. im not so sure castaic is like some underwater footage you see where bluegill are with the bass near them when they spawn like they are kinda forced to on smaller waterways. though i could be dead wrong. i have had small hooks with half worms on them for bluegill if they are around and im still only getting largemouth on plastic worms not anything on real worm lately. also there might not even be eggs in the nest yet. or there is no threat so they can stay deeper and only watch you. idk if you guys go for bluegills though. its crazy in some vids i see people getting lunk bluegill around this time of year but i can never find em at castaic.

seal
04-16-2018, 10:01 AM
Biggest affect on LMB's from a bed perspective in my opinion is the boating crowd. Sorry but I still contend that giving a fish that has been on a bed a ride around the lake till that 5 fish bag limit is caught for the glory picture has way more impact than a bank fisherman that catch and then release after a quick photo.

The bass have been sporadically bedding but not committed, typical it is still fairly early at Silverwood for the spawn and the lows that keep coming thru are not helping. Last year was probably the poorest I've ever seen the amount of bedding fish but last year they lowered the lakes just when the fish were getting real active in shallow.

mxwrench
04-16-2018, 01:01 PM
I was out on the lake Friday and yesterday, I saw some really large schools of blue gills roaming thru Millers Canyon. The recent cold fronts and cool wind have really halted the early bedding bass. Water temps last weekend were nearly 48° in the afternoon, but this weekend was all the way back down to a high of 41°. Most of the fish I caught were staging near the shallow spawning areas but just outside and slightly deeper. Still very cold, so finesse techniques were required for all but a few willing to go after a jerk bait. Good news was all the fish I caught were very healthy and in good shape. That and the lake in general seems alot cleaner than usual. Kudos to all that have taken the time to clean up and maintain the shorelines! We will have to see if folks can keep it this way throughout the summer months. Fingers crossed!

mxwrench
04-16-2018, 01:14 PM
On the topic of to bed fish or not,
I personally feel a bit guilty picking the bedding fish off their spots. I will fish them with spinner baits or square bills, if they bite then so be it. But I am not one to yoyo a bait right on their head. That said, that is just me. From what I have read and heard in discussion, I don't think bed fishing has much effect on the overall outcome of the bass population. The biggest threat on a basses life at Silverwood is from the Striped Bass. The yearlings (most don't make it past the fry stage) get hammered by the packs of Striper roaming the lake. Silverwood just has so many coves that the Striper can corral and destroy anything smaller than them. Save the LMB population of Silverwood, eat Striped bass fish tacos tonight!

DarkShadow
04-16-2018, 02:30 PM
The biggest threat on a basses life at Silverwood is from the Striped Bass. The yearlings (most don't make it past the fry stage) get hammered by the packs of Striper roaming the lake. Silverwood just has so many coves that the Striper can corral and destroy anything smaller than them. Save the LMB population of Silverwood, eat Striped bass fish tacos tonight!

I believe Kwin also said that the striped bass population has zero effect on the bass population as well.

I see a pattern here.

Maybe the question we should ask him is what DOES affect the bass spawn in our lakes, because predation, water level fluctuations, lack of forage and over fishing don't. We must have super fish in our lakes.

kwin
04-16-2018, 04:17 PM
I believe Kwin also said that the striped bass population has zero effect on the bass population as well.

I see a pattern here.

Maybe the question we should ask him is what DOES affect the bass spawn in our lakes, because predation, water level fluctuations, lack of forage and over fishing don't. We must have super fish in our lakes.

I never said that.

The situational ethics with this issue within the fishing community astounds me. smh

Bed fishing has no effect on bass populations. It has been legal in CA forever and productive bass populations persist.....everywhere.

jdogg661420
04-16-2018, 11:14 PM
i will also say last year at castaic kinda sucked for me i was limited when i could go and everytime i went it was right after they lowered the water. but towards the end of spawn i saw a ton of fry so just because the water is changing levels and throws off the fishing dont think the bass wont spawn. the tournaments where they do 5 bag arent every weekend at the lake though. there were also studies with caught and released tournament fish that the bass made it back to their beds. i dont think even if you had a tournament every weekend with 100 boats pulling 5 fish each and keeping them it would mess with the spawn(if anything it would make largemouth fishing better)(but thats too advanced for now). now some areas are worse then others. but in so cal our lakes are thriving. almost every fish i catch is healthy rarely do i catch super skinny fish if ever. though i have seen a few i think those fish were either sick and dying or something because i rarely see sick looking fish or malnourished fish. you wont be able to miss all the fry though. i havent heard of any major fish die offs at castaic ever. this isnt the old days where you could go to one spot in a lake and catch the same fish every week year after year though i dont think castaic has ever been like that its man made and so has a **** bottom so the fish are very active and move a lot. now for regulations protecting fish beds in the ocean i agree with most of those fish are fished commercially and that is where you have all your real world problems when it comes to fishing. shore and boat guys at the lake are not a problem even during spawn. thats a fact. simple fact about a lake the only time you can ever outfish a lake is on opening day.. and our lakes are way past that. and to think of the few species we have in our lakes making people think the fishing is hard.. tell that to the japense that have a ton more species in their lakes. if you truly want lunks you have to have drive and passion. those days you think about fishing go fish. but truthfully ill take less pressure at castaic...yes someone can catch a record their first day out.. but the reality is most those guys know their waters and can go in those waters and pull fish all year. they know how to fish their lakes. and they didnt learn that their first day out. spawn doesnt gurantee anything. in fact when i talk to the guys who know more about bass fishing then anyone i know says that spawn is also one of the hardest times to catch a lunk. big bass are also closer to death and the more bulged out eyes the closer they are to it. big fish will die off naturally. others replace them. even in europe some huge carp in small areas like the lagoon where they keep tabs on basically every fish caught. some of the big ones arent caught for years at a time... then all a sudden someone catches it.. also the trout plants are gone so that was like a boost to bass growth that is already proven to add tons of weight to them.. so now the lagoon just has slower growing fish. but still has lunks ive seen them jump and the upper though is where i think the next record is coming from. the lagoon was where people were hoping to have a easy record pop from is all.

seal
04-17-2018, 08:37 AM
I never said that.

The situational ethics with this issue within the fishing community astounds me. smh

Bed fishing has no effect on bass populations. It has been legal in CA forever and productive bass populations persist.....everywhere.

Yep LMB's seem to be in just about every body of water, don't think they are in any danger. But what about the shad at Silverwood Kwin? Just kidding.

Off topic question. Are the browns being planted diploid or triploid? Response I've gotten is probably triploid but thought I'd get the straight poop if possible.

kwin
04-17-2018, 04:55 PM
Yep LMB's seem to be in just about every body of water, don't think they are in any danger. But what about the shad at Silverwood Kwin? Just kidding.

Off topic question. Are the browns being planted diploid or triploid? Response I've gotten is probably triploid but thought I'd get the straight poop if possible.

only shad I've seen recently in silverwood are the anadromous type. browns are trips as far as I know.