PDA

View Full Version : You can't keep a Good Man Down at Lake Wohlford

etucker1959
04-02-2018, 08:08 AM
If anyone was wondering why I haven't written a report in a month. It wasn't because I went fishing and had nothing to report. I had a family medical emergency I needed to take care of. My 92 year old father (WW2 war veteran) sprung a leak internally and had to get patched up. (he's doing great now!!) So there was 2 good stockings of trout at Lake Wohlford that went unmolested by myself and crew. In reading other fishing websites, I've come to the conclusion that Lake Wohlford is the best non membership trout lake in the southern part of the state. SARL is having a much better year from the reports I've been reading, on a website that is dedicated to trout fishing only. Lake Silverwood in the last month has also been a good bet too. Other then being at a lake like DVL or Gregory right after they put a good load of trout in, it's been a tough trout year at all the other the Southern Cal lakes that stock trout. That's why I say, "you can go almost any day this year at Lake Wohlford" (in the trout season) and catch trout if you follow my tips and techniques. That doesn't mean you can just show up and catch fish, but follow my way and it's the highway too trout. lol

On this adventure I had my friends Phil and Glenn with me. We went on the Saturday between Good Friday and Easter. I had no idea we would be Zonked on the traffic getting there!!! It took twice as long to get there, so we didn't start fishing to 2 pm. (that's not a typo) When we got there I headed straight for the boats because we only had 4 hours of fishing time. Glenn being the overly friendly kind of guy that he is, asked the nice young men at the boat dock how has fishing been??? SLOOOOOW was the verdict from the dock attendants. That didn't bother me too much, because I have more tricks up my sleeve then David Cooperfield. It didn't hurt my confidence that I've been there 10 times this season and only once didn't get my limit!!! So the slow fishing verdict didn't detour my confidence and here's why. They stocked this week and last week so the lake is full of fish. The water color is good and it hasn't been too warm either. So there is no reason these fish shouldn't bite!!!

On to the fishing.

We were going to drift with our Green Garlic power bait (aka Rainbow P/B) dipped in Bite on Garlic sauce. On fishing Lake Wohlford for trout the East end of the lake is the only way to fly!!! (Unless you fish the day of the stock or the next) Boat Dock Cove will work too!!! We fished from slightly above the last air ratter to the reeds in the East end of the lake. These fish do move around but by drifting you will find the highest concentrate of them. (Once you figure that out, pound that area hard!!!) On this trip the fish were slightly above the last air ratter to just above the buoy line. (we caught nothing behind the Buoy line) We got bite mostly in the Channel on the South side of the lake. We never even tried the North end because we got an bite on every drift but 1 or 2 of them. In our 4 hours of fishing we caught 12 trout and missed a few. If we had a little more time, it would be been full limits for the boat for sure!!

One of my David Copperfield tricks is to get just the right amount of weight on the split shot. Couple that with the right rod to give it that sexy bounce. I believe in following the law to the letter, so that means no boat limits. As long as no person is limited out, you can pass the rods around in free spool when you're getting a bit. (why would you do that you might be wondering) I've got this down to a science, even my friends in the boat using the same bait can't keep up with me. So by doing that everyone catch's an equal amount of fish. Glenn won't play that game though!!! (it's his way or the highway) He got so mad at me Saturday, he was playing with his shoe and he got a bite. (I set the hook for him!!) lol

The trout would probably still bite this week, but after that there is only 1 more trout stocking at Lake Wohlford for the season. If you don't mind the drive, people should put this lake on your Radar for next years trout season. It is the Best trout lake in the Southern part of the state!!

mr cos
04-02-2018, 01:19 PM
Nice report Ed!
Gotta pin that idea for next year! dont think I would be able to make it down there anytime soon. bummer.

etucker1959
04-02-2018, 01:34 PM
Nice report Ed!
Gotta pin that idea for next year! dont think I would be able to make it down there anytime soon. bummer.

That's OK, there is always next year!!!