PDA

View Full Version : First time freshwater fishing, tackle recommendations?

LadyLing
03-28-2018, 08:48 AM
I'm planning a trip up to Big Bear and really want to try my hand at freshwater fishing, but I really have no idea what I'm doing. I only have saltwater spinning rods, is there such a massive difference that I can't use them in freshwater? I'd like to avoid having to buy a whole new set up, but I will if necessary! I'm interested in catching largemouth, trout, and carp at this point, and I would be going out in a boat, not shore fishing.

BassinPLS
03-28-2018, 09:54 AM
LadyLing,

You can probably get by with your ocean gear; but you'll need to pick up some fluorocarbon line, in say, 2-4 pound test and tie a top shot leader on your ocean line. I would recommend at least a 6 to 8 foot long leader. It will probably be a pain in the a** to cast; but you could get by with it. If not that go to Walmart and pick up a cheapy spinning rod/reel combo and some fluorocarbon line for a leader / top shot.

LadyLing
03-28-2018, 09:57 AM
LadyLing,

You can probably get by with your ocean gear; but you'll need to pick up some fluorocarbon line, in say, 2-4 pound test and tie a top shot leader on your ocean line. I would recommend at least a 6 to 8 foot long leader. It will probably be a pain in the a** to cast; but you could get by with it. If not that go to Walmart and pick up a cheapy spinning rod/reel combo and some fluorocarbon line for a leader / top shot.

Thanks so much! Yeah I'll probably just get a new basic set up, nothing fancy. If nothing else it will be an investment since I plan to start freshwater fishing more regularly. :)

etucker1959
03-28-2018, 10:12 AM
Thanks so much! Yeah I'll probably just get a new basic set up, nothing fancy. If nothing else it will be an investment since I plan to start freshwater fishing more regularly. :)

When you're looking for any "Hot tips" on where the bite is happening in the Fresh water. Go ahead and ask on this board. There is a few on here who will share some pretty hot info!!

LadyLing
03-28-2018, 10:17 AM
When you're looking for any "Hot tips" on where the bite is happening in the Fresh water. Go ahead and ask on this board. There is a few on here who will share some pretty hot info!!

Oooh good to know! Yeah for Big Bear I've read that Eagle Point is good for bass.

twin22s
03-28-2018, 10:26 AM
Trout fishing this early in the year is the best bet, I am a bass fisherman but summer is the only time i catch bass in BBL. I've not fished from a boat there and recommend paying for a guided trip if you can afford it. There are lots of guys trolling for trout with great success but i wouldn't know the first thing about it. I catch trout around the dam and the western north shore on powerbait, jigs and roostertails. as for rods I'd get a 4-10lb spinning setup, you'll be about to use it for the large trout and finesse bass fishing at any lake in SoCal, just change out the line size accordingly, or leader/topshot if you like.

etucker1959
03-28-2018, 02:38 PM
Oooh good to know! Yeah for Big Bear I've read that Eagle Point is good for bass.

In fishing for trout in a boat at Big Bear lake, there is 3 good way's to catch them. Troll for them with or without lead core line. Power bait fishing, drifting or anchored up. Or last but not least a slip bobber with a night crawler on for bait. (drifting or anchored) Once again the people at the Marina tackle store are very helpful on what and where the fish have been biting best.

bowler
03-28-2018, 11:39 PM
Yeah eagle point is a good spot for bass. But you might want to try the north shore because that should warm up faster and the bass will start to spawn. Check out Juniper point, Dana point and windy point. And try the red house near the damn for trout. And I just saw an ad in big 5 for a bass and trout rod set up for I think 30 or 40 bucks. Good luck if you need anymore information on the lake you can pm. I’ve been fishing that lake since 1989 when my parents first got there cabin up there.

LadyLing
03-29-2018, 08:53 AM
Yeah eagle point is a good spot for bass. But you might want to try the north shore because that should warm up faster and the bass will start to spawn. Check out Juniper point, Dana point and windy point. And try the red house near the damn for trout. And I just saw an ad in big 5 for a bass and trout rod set up for I think 30 or 40 bucks. Good luck if you need anymore information on the lake you can pm. I’ve been fishing that lake since 1989 when my parents first got there cabin up there.

Aaaah! Thanks so much, this is great info, and sweet I'm right near a Big 5 I'll be sure to check it out soon. Don't think I won't take you up on that as the trip gets closer! Also, I think it's awesome that you have such a tradition of going; hoping to get that started for myself as well. :)

LadyLing
03-29-2018, 09:25 AM
At this point I'm a Penn fan, but I'm reading a lot of good things about Shakespeare Ugly Stiks. I'm between these:
https://smile.amazon.com/USSP602M30CB-Shakespeare-USSP602M-Spinning-Fishing/dp/B00F0KMLI4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1522339838&sr=8-5&keywords=ugly%2Bstik%2Bgx2&th=1
https://smile.amazon.com/Penn-Battle-Spinning-Inshore-Medium/dp/B00N5TOGY4/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1522339995&sr=1-4&keywords=penn%2Bbattle%2B2&th=1
https://smile.amazon.com/PENN-Pursuit-Fishing-Spinning-Combo/dp/B00ER7HRTE/ref=pd_sbs_200_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B076VVZ25S&pd_rd_r=3WJKDP7RQB5H2A8ABG8W&pd_rd_w=3ikez&pd_rd_wg=JQEij&refRID=3WJKDP7RQB5H2A8ABG8W&th=1

Any other recommendations? Obviously the Shakespeare is more economical, but I'm not averse to spending for something that I'll have for years down the line.

etucker1959
03-29-2018, 12:33 PM
Aaaah! Thanks so much, this is great info, and sweet I'm right near a Big 5 I'll be sure to check it out soon. Don't think I won't take you up on that as the trip gets closer! Also, I think it's awesome that you have such a tradition of going; hoping to get that started for myself as well. :)

If you shop at Big 5 look for the $10 off coupons on anything over $30. There in the Value pak that comes once a month in the mail.

bowler
03-29-2018, 10:16 PM
My wife and I are looking to get a place up there because just as of November of last my parents sold their cabin. If you want to get a hold of me you can do it on instagram look up bowler23_99 on there I’m on that more then anything. And you can check out my friends YouTube channel re:cast fishing in SoCal.
Get a rod and reel that you can use in both fresh and saltwater. I have a rod that I got for 20 bucks and a reel I got on clearance for 20 bucks. I’ve gotten halibut, spotfin croaker and even largemouth bass on it.

LadyLing
03-30-2018, 07:37 AM
My wife and I are looking to get a place up there because just as of November of last my parents sold their cabin. If you want to get a hold of me you can do it on instagram look up bowler23_99 on there I’m on that more then anything. And you can check out my friends YouTube channel re:cast fishing in SoCal.
Get a rod and reel that you can use in both fresh and saltwater. I have a rod that I got for 20 bucks and a reel I got on clearance for 20 bucks. I’ve gotten halibut, spotfin croaker and even largemouth bass on it.

That's simultaneously great and too bad. Were your parents just not making it up there as much as they used to? And thanks, I appreciate it! Unfortunately I don't have an instagram hahaha, but maybe I'll make one exclusively to record my catches. :P
I *did* already check out the channel, I confess. It's pretty cool, very fun and interesting videos to watch!
Any particular reason why, when I've got several saltwater rods? Yeah since I'd be making it out to Big Bear less than I'd be fishing offshore here it would probably be wise to keep my rod-spending to a minimum.

bowler
03-30-2018, 07:48 AM
That's simultaneously great and too bad. Were your parents just not making it up there as much as they used to? And thanks, I appreciate it! Unfortunately I don't have an instagram hahaha, but maybe I'll make one exclusively to record my catches. :P
I *did* already check out the channel, I confess. It's pretty cool, very fun and interesting videos to watch!
Any particular reason why, when I've got several saltwater rods? Yeah since I'd be making it out to Big Bear less than I'd be fishing offshore here it would probably be wise to keep my rod-spending to a minimum.

Yeah they were not using it that much. Me and my wife used it more then they did. Plus they never want to rent it out. Me and my wife want to rent ours out so we can make some money off it. I have 4 custom made saltwater pole my cousin make me about 17 years ago and they are still doing good. Btw I live close to about 6 Asian markets with in 10 miles of my house, 2 of them our a mile down the road.

LadyLing
03-30-2018, 08:04 AM
Yeah they were not using it that much. Me and my wife used it more then they did. Plus they never want to rent it out. Me and my wife want to rent ours out so we can make some money off it. I have 4 custom made saltwater pole my cousin make me about 17 years ago and they are still doing good. Btw I live close to about 6 Asian markets with in 10 miles of my house, 2 of them our a mile down the road.

Ahh makes sense. Well maybe I'll end up renting it from you, if you'd allow it haha! Oh woah, awesome... yeah I don't think I'm ready to step up to custom builds yet. :EyePop: Also, how convenient for you, are you in the downtown area? I'm in West LA.

bowler
03-30-2018, 11:53 AM
Ahh makes sense. Well maybe I'll end up renting it from you, if you'd allow it haha! Oh woah, awesome... yeah I don't think I'm ready to step up to custom builds yet. :EyePop: Also, how convenient for you, are you in the downtown area? I'm in West LA.

No I’m in the San Gabriel valley area. I’m in the Filipino area of West Covina. Well my cousin only charged me 120 bucks for each rod. I used to help him on one of the boats he worked on. He gave me three nicknames: stretch, goofy and Ronald McDonald. Now I have a new nickname from my coworkers it’s Pikachu. How long have you been fishing for? Daveys locker has overnight trips for rockcod for 120 bucks.

LadyLing
03-30-2018, 12:41 PM
No I’m in the San Gabriel valley area. I’m in the Filipino area of West Covina. Well my cousin only charged me 120 bucks for each rod. I used to help him on one of the boats he worked on. He gave me three nicknames: stretch, goofy and Ronald McDonald. Now I have a new nickname from my coworkers it’s Pikachu. How long have you been fishing for? Daveys locker has overnight trips for rockcod for 120 bucks.

Ahhh, gotcha. Wow! You lucky bug, you... both about the rods and helping out on the boat. I dreamt of doing that when I was little. :Big Grin: Hahaha nice collection of nicknames, I've never had one that wasn't a variation of my name. Why Pikachu though? I went fishing for the first time when I was maybe 8, but only went maybe 3 or 4 times over the next decade and a half just due to my parents not really being able to take me/a lack of personal income. I just graduated college though, so now I've got more predictable free time and I decided that I was going to seriously get into fishing back in October. I try to go at least once a month at this point. I've definitely learned a lot, but it's crazy how much more there is to know!

LadyLing
03-30-2018, 12:51 PM
Daveys locker has overnight trips for rockcod for 120 bucks.

OH and yeah I went once in newport for a half day but the fishing wasn't great. Lots of little whitefish.

bowler
03-30-2018, 03:18 PM
OH and yeah I went once in newport for a half day but the fishing wasn't great. Lots of little whitefish.

Yeah lots of small white fish near Newport but long beach area has some bigger ones. I think they call me Pikachu because I used to spike my hair up. I'm going to dm you so we can talk there more.

Lady Quagga
03-30-2018, 04:36 PM
http://image.ibb.co/i8wzEn/fadeouttheend.png

lucky1
03-30-2018, 06:57 PM
BIG BEAR LAKE: The trout bite has remained fair to good. Nice catches are coming from the north shore as far east as Juniper Point and as far west as the face of the dam when the weather cooperates. It’s still an early morning bite, and near the dam anglers will want to throw jigs, spoons and spinners. Further east -- from the Red House to Gray’s Landing to Juniper Point -- use Carolina rigs fished close to the shoreline with floating dough baits in a variety of colors and flavors or Mice Tails (good colors are fluorescent orange-chartreuse or bubble gum-white). There have been a lot of nice 1-8 to four-pound rainbows over the past week. Jason Lawlor, Big Bear, landed a 4.9-pound rainbow. No reports of other species. For updated fishing information: Big Bear Sporting Goods at 909-866-3222 or visit the store’s Facebook page.

LadyLing
03-31-2018, 11:20 PM
BIG BEAR LAKE: The trout bite has remained fair to good. Nice catches are coming from the north shore as far east as Juniper Point and as far west as the face of the dam when the weather cooperates. It’s still an early morning bite, and near the dam anglers will want to throw jigs, spoons and spinners. Further east -- from the Red House to Gray’s Landing to Juniper Point -- use Carolina rigs fished close to the shoreline with floating dough baits in a variety of colors and flavors or Mice Tails (good colors are fluorescent orange-chartreuse or bubble gum-white). There have been a lot of nice 1-8 to four-pound rainbows over the past week. Jason Lawlor, Big Bear, landed a 4.9-pound rainbow. No reports of other species. For updated fishing information: Big Bear Sporting Goods at 909-866-3222 or visit the store’s Facebook page.

Oooh thank you!!!