PDA

View Full Version : Double Limits of quality Rainbows at Lake Wohlford

etucker1959
03-02-2018, 08:20 AM
Before you start throwing the poles in the car and head on down there I want to give a disclaimer. We have unlocked the key to success down there but most other trout fishermen seemed to be struggling. I could say, we caught our limits, show you a few pictures and call it a day. (that's what you get on a fishing website on Facebook) I want to tell you a story and share some knowledge that thy fellow anglers could use to improve their fishing.

The location part for good trout fishing is easy at Lake Wohlford. It's the last air ratter all the way to the reeds in the East end of the lake. (the problem is, "fish have tails and keep swimming around") There is no one hot spot down there where you can always go to and catch fish. The fly fishing boats are now paying a terrible price for not learning that!!! They keep anchoring around the air ratter, where in the beginning of the season was the hot zone. In the last 2 trips we have been down there, I've only seen them catch 1 fish combined for all the fly boats fishing there. (while we've caught 20 fish for 2 anglers spread over 2 trips) In Sunday's trip we were anchored off of the 2nd buoy and had they moved just in front of the buoy line, I can't see how they would not have done better. So drifting is one way to find the producing area's. However, I've now got a second trick up my sleeve. Anchoring up the boat in a productive area and work your bait's slowly back to the boat. It worked again this trip, even though we did catch most of our fish drifting. The area I'm fishing in at Lake Wohlford isn't all that big, so by moving around or drifting, you will eventually bump into them!!!

On to the fishing!!

We are still using the Green Garlic power bait (aka Rainbow P/B) dipped in garlic and drifting. We started off by the air ratter drifting east towards the reeds, by the time we got near the 2nd buoy we got 2 bites and 1 nice #2 rainbow trout. That was the best producing area for us today!!! We did drift the whole area from the North bank to the South bank but never started fishing much above the last air ratter. We did catch our biggest trout in the North corner and it was pushing #4 pounds. Most of the fish we caught were 2-3 pounds and only a couple of them were less the 2 pounds. We did catch a couple of fish drifting behind the buoy's to the reeds but our best action was in the channel. (the channel is from the last air ratter to the 2nd buoy from the South shore) We caught our limits but that wasn't the half of it. The wind was blowing kinda strong so we missed a lot of bites. (I would say we only hooked half our bites) So we had plenty of action!!! Don't think it took all day either to catch our fish. We arrived at the crack of noon!!!!

To illustrate how good the fishing has been to us this season. (this was a non stock week) So we were fishing for Holdover's!!! (inside joke) It is suppose to rain hard this weekend, so it may stain the water down there. So call ahead to the Ranger station before you head down there for a water clarity check. (they are very nice and helpful down there) If the water doesn't get too dirty, we will probably head down there again next week because it is a stock week. It won't be too long before we start fishing for the other critters that inhabit the lake. There was a Crappie fishermen trolling the lake today, so that bite isn't too far down the road.

Till the next time, Tight lines.

billy b
03-03-2018, 11:45 AM
HUH ??? "Green Garlic Power Bait (aka Rainbow P/B) ? I'm lost ... which is it Rainbow Garlic Power Bait ... or Chartreuse? Which garlic scent are you adding?

Thanks MUCH for all the work writing up your post ... and trying to help. Are you ready to be a guide? ;>)

etucker1959
03-03-2018, 01:02 PM
HUH ??? "Green Garlic Power Bait (aka Rainbow P/B) ? I'm lost ... which is it Rainbow Garlic Power Bait ... or Chartreuse? Which garlic scent are you adding?

Thanks MUCH for all the work writing up your post ... and trying to help. Are you ready to be a guide? ;>)

You asked a great question about the power bait!!! It's technically Rainbow Garlic power bait. However, I look at 50 jars of Rainbow Garlic power bait and pick 1 jar that is mostly Green!!!! (I had the best luck at Big 5's) I know weird, "but it works!!" In picking Salt water surface lures like a Tady 45. There are people that swear they can pick the best swimming ones on the rack in the tackle store. (Same thing with this Rainbow Garlic power bait) The Garlic dip I like is, "Bite on Garlic." I might as well give the whole set up again. 2-4 lbs test line, 16 size treble hook and a medium size split shot. That's it!!! Drift it or anchor and work it slowly back to the boat. If you want some high producing spots, I can give that too for anchoring purposes.

On this Website, "I believe fishing knowledge should be shared!!!" Don't take it with you to the Grave!!! (what good is that???) I'll guide anybody (no charge) to any fishing trip that I'm any good at. Just pay for your permit and I'll pay for the boat if you need one. If you don't catch a few fish, "I'll reimburse you for the price of the permit." That's how you make New friends!!!

I'm working on doing some video's of our trips. It's pretty exciting stuff!!! These trout jump and splash and make big runs on our ultra light tackle. They should make for some pretty fun viewing!!!

billy b
03-04-2018, 12:52 PM
Thanks et for all that work. I used to live in SoCal ... and you could bet I'd visit your fishing heaven - haven. I was just curious to hear what you meant about Rainbow - Green Garlic Power Bait. You did give me a good pause for thought. I rig up the exact same way ... usually 2# ... but always use a sliding sinker (wondering if a bubble would be better)
I will try a split shot for sure.

Thanks MUCH