PDA

View Full Version : 10/20/2007 NBU Redondo Special

Funjunkie74
10-20-2007, 10:32 PM
So, after a long week, for those who can't make tomorrow's 3/4-day Native Sun NBU (or just want to fish two days in a row) went out today on the Redondo Special out of...uh...Redondo Beach. Anyway, Mike (ymin), Bob (LA_Smoker), Jeremy (Jplee), John (Bob's homie) and me. Yep, no Kev. He was out handling business and couldn't join us.
This trip started with Mike texting me at 11:30am asking "Did you guys leave yet?"
I call him back to find out, he just woke up. Good start Mike.
Then I ended up picking him up...dang hitch-hiker!!

So we get to the landing, Jeremy has already arrived, Bob and John are just unloading.
We buy our tickets and I noticed that they had a stack of Fish Raps....you know where I'm going with this...(for those who don't, look for Bob's posting "Boils, Boils, Boils" and read the whole thing!) I show it to the big guy behind the counter and tell him, he should get it signed by Bob...LOL!!
http://tsuribaka.us/photos/20071020/HPIM0670_1.jpg

Anyway, the Redondo Special pulls up and I'm seeing some guys with fish and some guys empty handed....my first thought, it's gonna be a relaxing R&R trip!
As we're pulling away from the dock, we noticed...uh, there's only like 7 people on this boat. 5 of them are NBU!! Talk about a LIGHT LOAD!!
Now to do the usual "checkin' OPS" (Other Peoples' S--t). Came across this OG electric reel...nice...
http://tsuribaka.us/photos/20071020/HPIM0671.jpg

Mike then points out, the half-naked deckhand's tats. "Hey Joe, you should get a shot of this!!"
http://tsuribaka.us/photos/20071020/HPIM0672.jpg
I thought this only exists in the movies!!

Somewhere between 45 minutes to an hour later, we finally get to some fishing...Sculpin fishing...
Jeremy's got the skunk off his back immediately...
http://tsuribaka.us/photos/20071020/HPIM0674.jpg

Considering it's John's first time on the ocean (he's a freshwater guy), he starts off good...
http://tsuribaka.us/photos/20071020/HPIM0678.jpg
It was short, but still, dude! It's a ling cod!!

Mike, Taurus (the deckie with the tats) and me just continue to fish...
http://tsuribaka.us/photos/20071020/HPIM0675.jpg

Now, that pretty much we've limited on Sculls...not a hard task...time to move.
I can't say the water was "like glass" by any means, but it wasn't like it was knockin' us over either. But evidently it was enough to rock Bobby's world...
Yes, ladies and gentlemen...the Korean Fountain of Puke is in service!!
http://tsuribaka.us/photos/20071020/HPIM0682.jpg

Now here's a shot of Mike rubbing Bob's back...you'd think he's trying to help Bob. Ah...no...he's eggin' him on!!
ONE MORE BOB!! ONE MORE!! YOU'VE GOT MORE LEFT IN YA!! YEAH!!!
http://tsuribaka.us/photos/20071020/HPIM0684.jpg
Thanks Mike...

And we all know what comes next....that's right...SLEEPY TIME!!
http://tsuribaka.us/photos/20071020/HPIM0692.jpg

The rock fish didn't seem to want to play today...so we ended up doing a lot of "alright, let's give it a try here"..."okay, wind up, we're not on top of them"..."they're showing good marks"..."wind up, I need to reset the anchor"..."let's try another spot...". Which means few fish and lot's of sitting on our butts!
http://tsuribaka.us/photos/20071020/HPIM0693.jpg

And now towards the end of the day, Mike lands a heart breaker...
http://tsuribaka.us/photos/20071020/HPIM0696.jpg
SHORT!!

Then Bob lands a MONSTER!!
http://tsuribaka.us/photos/20071020/HPIM0697.jpg
We weighed that bad boy...5lb 5oz. BABY!! DAMN~~~~~~~!
THAT'S JP RIGHT THERE!!! Bob won a whole $20 today!! That's the 4 NBU guys and one other less the "courtesy" charge!!
He gave the WHOLE POT to the crew (big spender Bob!!) and in exchange they gave him...
http://tsuribaka.us/photos/20071020/HPIM0703.jpg
Can you say, ghetto!!

But it was enough to excite Bob enough...
http://tsuribaka.us/photos/20071020/HPIM0705.jpg

Then got messy...
http://tsuribaka.us/photos/20071020/HPIM0706.jpg
(disclaimer: The white stuff is squid guts.)

The tragic story of the day is when Mike got greedy and tried to pull in a lobster/crab pot...okay, maybe he didn't intentionally do it, but he had no choice. Talking about heart breaking, the pot snaps Mike's Shikari!!! That's a 9ft rod shortened to a 6ft rod in a blink of an eye!
http://tsuribaka.us/photos/20071020/HPIM0698.jpg

*Mike looks like you need to contact ATC directly. The dealers are NOT authorized to handle the warranty issue.
http://www.advancedtubularcomposites.com/
http://www.advancedtubularcomposites.co ... 7_0807.pdf (http://www.advancedtubularcomposites.com/ATC_Cat2007_0807.pdf)

It was a slow day for fishing, but it is "off season" anyway. It was good to get out and do some R&R C&R fishing with the NBU.
http://tsuribaka.us/photos/20071020/HPIM0702.jpg

one_leg
10-20-2007, 10:45 PM
Now that you guys are celebrities I guess you think you're too good to fish with Ole' One_Leg huh?
You didn't even call me. :cry: But I would have just told you I was too tired. :lol:

Did he actually ask him for his autograph?...lol Did he give it to him?

You know you don't have to eat on the trip out there, right? :P How many miles were you from the Marina when he yakked?

Nice Jackpot winner. That's a big one. Congratulations to you Bob.

One_Leg

Funjunkie74
10-20-2007, 11:11 PM
Now that you guys are celebrities I guess you think you're too good to fish with Ole' One_Leg huh?
You didn't even call me. :cry: But I would have just told you I was too tired. :lol: One_Leg

Don't even say that!!
You said that you were gonna be playin around with the trout this weekend!!
I only had the post for the RENDEZVOUS UP FOR LIKE A WEEK!!! YOU NEVER REPLIED!!!

:evil:

k3vin_kim
10-20-2007, 11:17 PM
Was it worth it Mike? Couldn't you have just cut your line? Damn, i'm pissed FOR you. I remember when I first got my black steel and my rig got caught on the anchor rope as it was coming up. When the captain didn't hear the deckhand yell "STOP~!!" the rope just kept on coming up and my new rod bent halfway into the metal receptical and I was kickin' myself in the *** and it just played over and over again in my head to this day. If only i had just let out some line, my rod wouldn't have taken that beating... BUT THEN AGAIN, It's a seeker and it didn't break. I guess that's the difference between SEEKER and Shakari. :P

Anyways, too bad the reds weren't biting today, but at least you guys did well. I woke up at 6AM to drive to Simi Valley and I made 25 prospective clients so I couldn't be more happy. I'm just antsy to get on next weeks day 1/2 trip.

Jeremy nice to see you caught a fish. John, nice meeting you at dinner. Bob, load up on the transdermascope for next week, you're definately gonna need it. Mike, don't 4get to get your new stick by next friday so we can kill some YFT's and Joe, where's the pics of the sweaters???

BTW, you should have seen the looks on your faces when I almost jumped the curb at the restaruant. Joe you took a jump back and Mike you practically threw yourself in front of my car~! :D

sansou
10-20-2007, 11:48 PM
Ha ha ha!!

Funny report!

Joe, I guarantee you that you just confirmed some racial stereotypes for the "White Pride" tattoo guy (hint: japanese dude taking picture after picture all day long, especially of him shirtless). Ha ha ha!! Funny stuff!

Congrats Bob on the JP! Kudos on continuing fishing after a little, uh, ahem, gastrointestinal issues?

Sorry to hear about the broken Shikari. That just plain sucks. It's always the nice setups that go to fishing heaven prematurely....

Never let it be said you asian brothers of the NBU clan don't have fun fishing!

k3vin_kim
10-20-2007, 11:54 PM
addah boy Jeremy, that's the way to get to the bottom with a 2 pound torpedo dropper loop.

one_leg
10-21-2007, 12:01 AM
addah boy Jeremy, that's the way to get to the bottom with a 2 pound torpedo dropper loop.

I had it figured out after 4 or 5 minutes of studying that picture.

One_Leg

jplee3
10-21-2007, 06:08 AM
:D

2lb torpedo sinker = JACKPOT, BABY! Well, at least when I throw a few inside the mouth of the fish.jk

Anyway, I wish I could say I own a 2lb torpedo sinker. One day... one day.

Oh yeah, so my total count: 4 sculpin :x

So technically, I've been on a red rockfish skunk since the overnighter to Catalina in June, when I caught the [barely] legal red snapper :( I think I need to get stung by a sculpin before I catch anything else. Hahaha.

ghetto dad
10-21-2007, 06:31 AM
Great report Joe, looks like a good trip...and :eek2: BIG MIKE DIDNT WIN THE JACKPOT?????????? WOW!!!!! and :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: @ that ghetto jackpot pass written on notebook paper...LOL.....why does is expire in 2 months though??? anyways, hope to fish with all you boyz soon....

Funjunkie74
10-21-2007, 09:36 AM
Great report Joe, looks like a good trip...and :eek2: BIG MIKE DIDNT WIN THE JACKPOT?????????? WOW!!!!! and :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: @ that ghetto jackpot pass written on notebook paper...LOL.....why does is expire in 2 months though??? anyways, hope to fish with all you boyz soon....

Yeah, it was an okay trip. There could have been more fish...but...as I mentioned, it was a perfect R&R session.
Mike wasn't even a contender on this trip!! He had a ling but it was short...he limited out on Sculpin but what are the chances of a 6lb-er?!

I think that "maybe" the ghetto JP pass expires in December for...tax reasons?? I don't know. Or maybe it's a subtle hint that the RS is going offline for (what looks like) maintenance??

Too bad about today. I just don't think it was in the cards for it....but that's off-season fishing!! I guess Mike will have to stay sober...
November I'll be out of the state or out of the country for 1/2 the month, so I don't know if I'll be able to join you guys as much.... :cry:

FJ74

ymin72
10-21-2007, 10:07 AM
it finally dawned on me this morning, maybe cause im sober, that im not gonna have a jig stick for next weekend.

oh well, i guess im gonna miss the first NBU tuna trip. unless everyone wants to pitch in and buy me a calcutta 90h.

hard lesson about custom wrapped rods. even if i can get the blank replaced by ATC (shikari was bought out by ATC), its gonna cost me another $120+ to get it wrapped. its just not worth all that trouble.

now where's that bottle of vodka............
:twisted:

joe, hows the corned beef coming along?

k3vin_kim
10-21-2007, 10:28 AM
Mike, if you don't make this next trip.... that's purely unacceptable. We've been talking about this for weeks. I KNOW you have another 9 footer to back up the shakira (lol). Anyways,

Guys, I had a dream that our little crew entered into a tournament and placed 3rd. All of a sudden, we were getting photo's snapped and tackle stores were pushing each other out of the way to sponsor us. Maybe it's wishful thinking but then maybe we're on to something here. What do you guys think? Should we be thinking of registering into some tournaments next year?

ghetto dad
10-21-2007, 10:32 AM
Mike, if you don't make this next trip.... that's purely unacceptable. We've been talking about this for weeks. I KNOW you have another 9 footer to back up the shakira (lol). Anyways,

Guys, I had a dream that our little crew entered into a tournament and placed 3rd. All of a sudden, we were getting photo's snapped and tackle stores were pushing each other out of the way to sponsor us. Maybe it's wishful thinking but then maybe we're on to something here. What do you guys think? Should we be thinking of registering into some tournaments next year?

the only guy that knows how to fish is mike.....(JK GUYS!!DONT GET FEISTY)))

k3vin_kim
10-21-2007, 10:36 AM
yeah, tell that to his broken shakira...

geez Steve, can you come over to my house with your knee pads on after your done?

ghetto dad
10-21-2007, 10:39 AM
lol....i know you can come up with something better than that kevin,,,i guess its too early......

ymin72
10-21-2007, 10:45 AM
yeah, tell that to his broken shakira...

geez Steve, can you come over to my house with your knee pads on after your done?

LOL.

BTW its "*****-kari", get it straight Kev.

CalamARI
10-21-2007, 11:16 AM
Ymin~
Sorry to hear about your 909. I'm wrapping one right now and
I was happy to see it was your favorite rod in the other post.
Now I'm like SH*t! How long did you have/fish yours before it
snapped? I will definately be careful on any snags with mine.
Also, I'm pretty sure that ATC does not honor any warranties on
the "old" Shikari blanks.

ymin72
10-21-2007, 11:24 AM
thats what i've heard as well...about shikari.
as for the rod, i fish them hard and since i can only fish on sportboats, they do get abused. just be careful of nicking the rod. i heard of other graphite rods breaking from getting nicked.
and dont let my story scare you rom purchasing an awesome fishing rod. they are by far one of the best rods i've used. now i just gotta figure out how im gonna get a replacement blank from ATC. :evil:

LA Smoker
10-21-2007, 01:27 PM
it finally dawned on me this morning, maybe cause im sober, that im not gonna have a jig stick for next weekend.

oh well, i guess im gonna miss the first NBU tuna trip. unless everyone wants to pitch in and buy me a calcutta 90h.

hard lesson about custom wrapped rods. even if i can get the blank replaced by ATC (shikari was bought out by ATC), its gonna cost me another $120+ to get it wrapped. its just not worth all that trouble.

now where's that bottle of vodka............
:twisted:

joe, hows the corned beef coming along?

Oh come on yourself big brother Mike. You've been talking about YFT for as long as I've been fishing with you and now that your favorite rod's broken, you're not going? Dude what would Terry say? I know....

"Check it out man. I didnt go to SD last time cuz I had diarrhea and then I had to wash out my boji after, right? But check this sh@t out man, if you dont go you can stay with me and we'll clean each others boji. Wass up man? You down? Check it out man."

Hahahaha... j/k. I just love imitating Terry, I think he's so comical. But check it out Mike, you've been talking about YFT since I've known you (especially since you're a fish snob... I mean connoisseur) and you're going to let a little setback stop you from going? Does that rod really make you the fisherman that you are? Or do your supreme skills and excellence make that rod a "great" rod? Think it about it bro. Don't be a slave to Shikari. I'm going to leave you with a quote from one of my favorite movies, The Matrix. "This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes. " Take the red pill Neo and stop being a slave. Check it out man.

- Tony GAYnair Robbins

k3vin_kim
10-21-2007, 01:31 PM
yeah mike, take the red pill.

ymin72
10-21-2007, 01:49 PM
LOL, Bob you a character. :lol:

Guess I gotta dust off my 7'ers.

btw, all my salt water rods are SH!Tkari so forever I'll be their slave.

christainmetalhead909
10-21-2007, 02:14 PM
nice guys. glad to see you guys had fun, like always though.

bob, why did you puke. wth man i thought you could hold it after eating all those sardines.

MIKE, man sorry to hear about your rod.

one_leg
10-21-2007, 02:17 PM
they do get abused. just be careful of nicking the rod. i heard of other graphite rods breaking from getting nicked.
:evil:

Oh, was I not supposed to nick your rods?...j/k...I swear!!!!

One_Leg

Funjunkie74
10-21-2007, 04:48 PM
yeah mike, take the red pill.

knowing Mike, he'll take both and end up where ever he wants!! LOL!!
Dayquil and Nyquil at the same time never killed anybody....LOL!!

SanDimasLMB
10-21-2007, 05:10 PM
You guys are lucky you went out on saturday! I can't believe the Santa Ana winds blowing outside right now, it like gust of 50mph!!!

ghetto dad
10-21-2007, 07:08 PM
yeah, its RIPPING in fv......

JapanRon
10-21-2007, 07:51 PM
Hi funjunkie74,

Way to go on the fun and informative read. Great to see the gang out fishin' in whatever conditons and times. The world needs more hardcore guys like us!! Poor ... one_leg .... make sure you drag him along next time too!

On the Korean fountain .. was that Kimchi powered? In Japan, there is a TV commercial with this famous comedian holding up some kimuhi and saying 'Anata no kimuchi ... ga yoku wakaru'. The play on words is that in Japanese ki -mo -chi (kimoch) means feelings i.e. emotional feelings as in attitude. So that in Japanese it would would be 'I know very well how you feel'.

Again ... great thread .... thanks !! Pics cool too ..... of course!!

JapanRon

Funjunkie74
10-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Hi funjunkie74,

Way to go on the fun and informative read. Great to see the gang out fishin' in whatever conditons and times. The world needs more hardcore guys like us!! Poor ... one_leg .... make sure you drag him along next time too!

On the Korean fountain .. was that Kimchi powered? In Japan, there is a TV commercial with this famous comedian holding up some kimuhi and saying 'Anata no kimuchi ... ga yoku wakaru'. The play on words is that in Japanese ki -mo -chi (kimoch) means feelings i.e. emotional feelings as in attitude. So that in Japanese it would would be 'I know very well how you feel'.

Again ... great thread .... thanks !! Pics cool too ..... of course!!

JapanRon

Thanks Ron!
I failed to mentioned that I fished my squid plastic the whole time!! I find it helps to weed out the kiddie fishys and let me focus on the big ones!

Joe

one_leg
10-22-2007, 10:14 AM
Poor ... one_leg .... make sure you drag him along next time too!

Another Pearl of Wisdom from the Master. :wink:

One_Leg

Bucket bay
10-23-2007, 10:54 AM
Hay Bob we need to get you on the pill because some one on the boat keep knocking you up and you throw up all over the place. :rofl:

ymin72
10-31-2007, 11:17 AM
GOOD NEWS GUYS. Just got off the phone with Bob Loomis (nephew of Gary Loomis) owner of ATC.
They are gonna replace my broken shikari 909h with a NEW ATC 909h blank at nominal charge.
Hopefully I'll get the blank by next week and have it wrapped by middle of next month.
Just wanted everyone to know.....

one_leg
10-31-2007, 11:22 AM
GOOD NEWS GUYS. Just got off the phone with Bob Loomis (nephew of Gary Loomis) owner of ATC.
They are gonna replace my broken shikari 909h with a NEW ATC 909h blank at nominal charge.
Hopefully I'll get the blank by next week and have it wrapped by middle of next month.

Mike, do I have your permission to print out the message above, frame it, and hang it on the wall next to my new fishing shrine?

One_Leg

10-31-2007, 11:22 AM
Right on Mike!

one_leg
10-31-2007, 11:23 AM
Oh yeah, I almost forgot, Congrats on the rod replacement.

O_L

k3vin_kim
10-31-2007, 08:00 PM
cool, alan, what's on your fishing shrine?

ymin72
10-31-2007, 08:36 PM
picture of us. :D

ghetto dad
10-31-2007, 08:41 PM
thats cool mike....

sansou
10-31-2007, 08:42 PM

Nice! :D

one_leg
10-31-2007, 11:46 PM
cool, alan, what's on your fishing shrine?

Trout, Catfish, Bass, Bluegill, Crappie, Sunfish, Carp, Perch, Walleye, Muskies, Salmon Grouper, Sandbass, Calicos, Lingcod, Vermillion, Johnny Bass, Batray.

O_L

CalamARI
11-01-2007, 02:38 PM
That's good news! Now I know I don't have to be so careful with mine.
Actually I have the standard 909, not "H" version so I should still take it easy.
I wonder what a "nominal" charge is? Those new ATC blanks are running close
to 2 bills. I got my old skool shikari blank for eighty bucks. Thanks for the update.
~Ari

ymin72
11-01-2007, 07:20 PM
That's good news! Now I know I don't have to be so careful with mine.
Actually I have the standard 909, not "H" version so I should still take it easy.
I wonder what a "nominal" charge is? Those new ATC blanks are running close
to 2 bills. I got my old skool shikari blank for eighty bucks. Thanks for the update.
~Ari

from my understanding, they are only gonna charge me the shipping cost.