anything guys??

etucker1959
11-09-2017, 07:17 AM
Heard great news that Irvine is set to open for trout season 2017
anything guys??

Source please?????

goodguy
11-09-2017, 07:53 AM
I know the OC board of supervisors voted back in April to reopen in time for trout season. But I drive by it everyday and haven't seen any action happening that would lead me to believe it was opening soon. In fact the lake is back down lower than it was before all the rains filled it back up.

From Arpil....

The Orange County Board of Supervisors voted to re-open Irvine Lake in time for the 2017 trout season. Board Supervisor Todd Spitzer brought the motion to the Board. With all in attendance voting "aye", the Board passed the motion to re-open Irvine Lake for public fishing in time for the 2017 trout season under a new contract with a private concessioner yet to be named.
With the recent rains, the lake is at 20,000 acre feet of water. Winter run off from nearby Saddleback Mountain, is expected to fill the lake to full pond at 25,000 acre feet. The Serrano Water District reported shad stocks returning in record numbers. Holdover trout and bass are also said to be in good condition with the higher water levels now.
Plans for 50 tent only campsites and 25 RV campsites are in the works. New picnic areas, parking, and a store are
also being worked on. Whether private boating or rental boats will be allowed is still under consideration.
A lot of work has to be done in a short time, but family friendly Irvine Lake is set to once again take it's position as Orange County's premier fishing lake. If only this story wasn't reported on the 1st of April, it just might be true. We can only hope something this good happens, and soon. But for today, it's Happy April Fools Day. gspot, Apr 1, 2017

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/irvine-lake-set-to-re-open.652253/

DarkShadow
11-09-2017, 10:24 AM
Source please?????

My best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with a girl who saw Irvine reopen last night.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/swBtLPWeKbU/hqdefault.jpg

I guess it's pretty serious.

etucker1959
11-09-2017, 12:32 PM
Ok, we all had a little fun as Trump would call Fake News!!!

But this is what W.O.N. reports every week!!

The lake remains closed to public recreation (as of Feb 28, 2016) due to a stalemate in negotiations between the County of Orange and the Serrano Water District, a result of a 2,500-acre land deal arrangement between the Irvine Co. and Orange County. As of now, there is no imminent plans to reopen the lake to fishing, and there likely won't be until an arrangement is reached regarding water rights / compensation and future concessions.

In other words folks, you might never see that lake open again to fishing!!!

DarkShadow
11-09-2017, 01:46 PM
In other words folks, you might never see that lake open again to fishing!!!

But wait, this post says I can fish Irvine next week.

What gives?!?

Trout Season 2017!!

Don't tell me that everything that is reported online is true. That changes things....

bowler
11-09-2017, 09:34 PM
It’s an April fools joke read the end

etucker1959
11-10-2017, 07:10 AM

Some of the later post yea!!! However, I think the OP was sincere in believing an unreliable source who told him it was opening soon.

DarkShadow
11-10-2017, 08:53 AM

I didn't know April Fool's landed in November.

But thanks!

Redrocker53
11-10-2017, 02:06 PM
It won't be opening up. The land around the lake where the parking and camping has been transferred to the Irvine Company since may of last year. The county still owns the land where the water sits though.

jjbergie11
11-10-2017, 04:28 PM
It shows that they are suppose to be stocking in December on the ocparks website?

etucker1959
11-10-2017, 06:33 PM
It shows that they are suppose to be stocking in December on the ocparks website?

That's Irvine Regional park lake, in Irvine Regional park. Not Irvine Lake!!!

jjbergie11
11-10-2017, 10:17 PM
That's Irvine Regional park lake, in Irvine Regional park. Not Irvine Lake!!!

ooh I see! thanks!

primo55
12-29-2017, 11:28 PM
its a damn shame Irvine is closed!!
my favorite lake by far!!
hangin with all the 57 heads..dana..trout dog..trolley..and all the staff etc.
great times!!!

troutdog
01-03-2018, 03:48 PM
its a damn shame Irvine is closed!!
my favorite lake by far!!
hangin with all the 57 heads..dana..trout dog..trolley..and all the staff etc.
great times!!!

We miss it too Primo, hopefully one day as this was a 2nd home for many anglers....until then there are other waters to explore. Happy New Year brotha.

TD

Gmoney
01-04-2018, 02:28 PM
We miss it too Primo, hopefully one day as this was a 2nd home for many anglers....until then there are other waters to explore. Happy New Year brotha.

TD
Damn TD - Blowin up FNN with all your comments. you're gonna give troutman65 and one_leg a run for the most posts in a month LMAO

and seriously, you are SPOT ON! i miss Irvine more than anything. So glad the 57 crew is still strong!

troutdog
01-04-2018, 03:46 PM
Damn TD - Blowin up FNN with all your comments. you're gonna give troutman65 and one_leg a run for the most posts in a month LMAO

and seriously, you are SPOT ON! i miss Irvine more than anything. So glad the 57 crew is still strong!

I think their records are safe brotha! lol

The Vine was a very special place no doubt. Been pleasure knowing you for 10+ years buddy, hope to see you on a 57 charter in 2018!

TD

bassnet
03-08-2018, 08:58 PM
Any news? Damn I miss this place

Redrocker53
03-09-2018, 06:49 AM
Any news? Damn I miss this place

yeah. Not happening. County still owns the lake, but surrounding property being sold to Irvine Co.

Brent
03-12-2018, 11:25 AM
yeah. Not happening. County still owns the lake, but surrounding property being sold to Irvine Co.

This is BAD news. Irvine Company are a greedy bunch and will have it privatized with luxury apartments or homes on it very quickly.

DarkShadow
03-12-2018, 02:09 PM
This is BAD news. Irvine Company are a greedy bunch and will have it privatized with luxury apartments or homes on it very quickly.

What's wrong with private entities privatizing what used to be available to the public?

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/3/5/16853432/ryan-zinke-interior-department-secretary

Lady Quagga
03-12-2018, 02:57 PM
What's wrong with private entities privatizing what used to be available to the public?

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/3/5/16853432/ryan-zinke-interior-department-secretary

Hey hey! Zinke's making America great again!

By the way - aren't there some lightning trout you should be snagging?

DarkShadow
03-12-2018, 03:19 PM
Hey hey! Zinke's making America great again!

By the way - aren't there some lightning trout you should be snagging?

Those were Steelhead.

Hmmph.

Doghunter
03-12-2018, 06:58 PM
When the Irvine Co. donated the lake and 1400 acre around it to the county in 2014, the Irvine Co. stipulated that it could never be developed.

Redrocker53
03-13-2018, 09:43 AM
When the Irvine Co. donated the lake and 1400 acre around it to the county in 2014, the Irvine Co. stipulated that it could never be developed.

Only the actual lake itself was given to the county for water purposes. The land from the banks on is still irvine co. They can build all they want. The deeds came across my desk at work, this is how I know this. I have not seen any plans or new housing tracts there yet, but who knows.

etucker1959
03-13-2018, 10:17 AM
Only the actual lake itself was given to the county for water purposes. The land from the banks on is still irvine co. They can build all they want. The deeds came across my desk at work, this is how I know this. I have not seen any plans or new housing tracts there yet, but who knows.

That's very interesting!! However, let's play what if?? What if they did decide to build housing around the lake, but did not gain access to the lake for the community of houses. No access to use the lake, makes those property's not as appealing as say a Mission Vijeo lake property.

Redrocker53
03-13-2018, 01:58 PM
That's very interesting!! However, let's play what if?? What if they did decide to build housing around the lake, but did not gain access to the lake for the community of houses. No access to use the lake, makes those property's not as appealing as say a Mission Vieo lake property.

Oh they will have access easments I'm sure. It's a reservoir, so of course it will be owned by the county.

Redrocker53
03-13-2018, 02:04 PM
ok I double checked. Not ALL of it is owned by the IC most is still owned by county and water district. IC owns some of the land along the southeast portion of the lake.

goodguy
03-14-2018, 07:36 AM
At this point I'm just assuming it goes the way of Villa Park reservoir. Just a water reservoir, low liability... No public access, strictly water storage. It is the top of the chain that ends with Villa Park reservoir. Low cost and low liability. make a little coin off that mess of a storage place.

etucker1959
03-14-2018, 01:37 PM
At this point I'm just assuming it goes the way of Villa Park reservoir. Just a water reservoir, low liability... No public access, strictly water storage. It is the top of the chain that ends with Villa Park reservoir. Low cost and low liability. make a little coin off that mess of a storage place.

I'm hoping for better. Obviously there is hard headed people on both sides who won't comprise a solution to allow access to the public. What I'm hoping for in time, these people move on to other things and are replaced with "New Blood." Hopefully the new people are willingly to work together and come up with an agreement that both sides can live with. The public could sure use another great recreational area so close to the people.

goodguy
03-15-2018, 08:39 AM
I'm hoping for better. Obviously there is hard headed people on both sides who won't comprise a solution to allow access to the public. What I'm hoping for in time, these people move on to other things and are replaced with "New Blood." Hopefully the new people are willingly to work together and come up with an agreement that both sides can live with. The public could sure use another great recreational area so close to the people.

Oh believe me, I am with ya! I miss this place... I drive by it everyday, to and from work. I hate not seeing people fishing out there!

smokehound
06-04-2018, 04:59 PM
the only reason irvine lake even survived was because of that colorado river water piping in forage and preventing stunting.

maybe cutting the ridiculous fees and not feeding the fish wouldve made people like irvine more :P that lake didnt need supplemental feeding, there was ample forage.

DarkShadow
06-05-2018, 03:05 PM
Are we still talking about this?

Can't we get the homes built already so I can buy one and flip it a year later?

HuskerRod
06-07-2018, 05:51 PM
Are we still talking about this?

Can't we get the homes built already so I can buy one and flip it a year later?

I suspect the ninja fishing expeditions are alive and well at Irvine. Irvine lake, Anaheim lake, and corona lake are all but memories to tell the younglings about around the fire. But look at the bright side. We still got SARL....

crappiemike
06-07-2018, 05:57 PM
I hope they open soon soon ,
Because I know where the
Crappie are at!!! Lol....

Cm

PepsiFish
06-08-2018, 03:35 PM
Just got a memory on facebook about a picture taken at Irvine lake 4 years ago. Got me thinking about this great lake and now much I miss it. On that note i searched the web to see if there were any updates and found this thread. Figured I'd post here what I've found out in my numerous inquiries about this to officials.

TLDR: Lake is stuck in legal negotiations between OC parks and Serrano Water company.

From OC parks director:
Recreation activities on the lake are controlled jointly by Irvine Company (with 75% of the “recreation rights”) and Serrano Water District (with 25%). In late 2014, the Irvine Company irrevocably offered their 75% to the County in conjunction with adjacent parcels of land and rights to access roads serving the lake, and in 2015 the agreement between Irvine Company and Serrano Water District allowing for fishing and boating was terminated. The irrevocable offer to dedicate (IOD) these properties and rights to the County was made in an effort to preserve and enhance the public’s access to recreational opportunities, and to provide for potential revenue to offset the County’s costs in assuming land management obligations for the nearby open space lands set aside in perpetuity for habitat conservation purposes. Although the offer to dedicate was irrevocably made, the legal transfer of those lands and rights has not yet occurred as there remain certain conditions that must be satisfied by other agencies first. This is very similar to the way that many of the open space dedications from the Irvine Company to the City of Irvine have occurred, insofar as the dedications are made, but parcels not legally transferred or accepted by the City for several years.

In anticipation of the future transfer of Irvine Company’s recreation rights to the County, the County and Serrano have engaged in dialog regarding the terms that would be acceptable to both parties to facilitate the County’s operation of Irvine Lake for public recreation. As of yet, the parties have not successfully come to agreement regarding long-term operation of the Lake. Recognizing that there are residents like yourself who miss the opportunity to fish, the County recently made a proposal to Serrano to permit the County to temporarily operate shoreline fishing for the public, but Serrano declined.

From Serrano Water general manager:
email reply 1:
As you are aware, the recreation at Santiago Reservoir (AKA Irvine Lake) is closed at this time. There essentially has been no change in the situation. Discussions are still occurring between agencies. We understand your desire to fish again out there and hope in the same manner you do that it will be sooner than later. Hope all is well with you.
email reply 2 (asking for an update):
There is really nothing yet. We are working out legal issues before any movement can occur.
email reply 3 (asking for another update):
This is unfortunately a situation that takes painstaking time. If we could have it all done sooner I would love it as well. I expect there to be a better idea of the progress in the next six months but realistically when legal matters are resolved there is still negotiations. Additionally, a Recreation Master Plan has to be developed for a long term benefit of the lake that is not only inclusive of fishing. You are right on when you say gold mine. Sorry it is taking so long as I would love to take my kids out there too.

Just figured I'd try to help make it clear who the players are and who you can try to contact. I contacted both agencies through their webpages and just kept asking to talk to a higher up about the situation and got those responses at the end. If anyone else has better luck, or knows some people or something. Lets get this lake reopened, I'm so tired of the catfish selection in the lakes near me, nothing beats over 100lbs of catfish in one evening that I'd pull outa Irvine Lake.

Anyways, tight lines.

esteban1t
06-10-2018, 09:32 AM
Just figured I'd try to help make it clear who the players are and who you can try to contact. I contacted both agencies through their webpages and just kept asking to talk to a higher up about the situation and got those responses at the end. If anyone else has better luck, or knows some people or something. Lets get this lake reopened, I'm so tired of the catfish selection in the lakes near me, nothing beats over 100lbs of catfish in one evening that I'd pull outa Irvine Lake.

Anyways, tight lines.

i've been sad every summer since the lake closed :Sad:

Irvine and Laguna Niguel used to be my go-to lakes . sucks.