PDA

View Full Version : Home Defense GSD

Dci4me
09-10-2017, 08:32 PM
I'm interested in a home defense GSD. Has anyone else researched or have any first hand experience?

Ty
Mike

old pudd fisher
09-10-2017, 09:31 PM
Not sure if you mean a German Shepherd dog for home defense but if so they are great dogs for that, had to put down my second one a few months ago due to very old age, sure miss him his name was Rex.

Lady Quagga
09-11-2017, 09:02 AM
Gender & Sexual Diversity?

DarkShadow
09-11-2017, 11:07 AM
When individuals get 'guard' dogs or 'attack' dogs for home protection, do they also spend the coin in actually training them?

Or is the mail man a$s'ed out too if he walks into your yard do deliver a package?

The one German Shepherd I know that works K9 for a LEO, is the calmest and sweetest dog.

That is until his handler yells "Fass!"

Dci4me
09-11-2017, 11:46 AM
Sorry to hear about Rex, Pudd.

DS - Doing my homework now to see if it fits into our lifestyle, etc, but the wifey has been asking for a while now about this. I guess what we are looking for is a "guard" dog. The wife wants a medium to large dog that is trained well, either purchased that way or trained together in a professional setting. She has a vision of a "guard" dog sitting at the foot of our daughters bed every night ready to protect her.

I also see some advantages such as the dog alerting us prior to a window or door being broken in, thus setting of home security devices, etc.

Thanks for the replies.

Mike

DarkShadow
09-11-2017, 02:49 PM
Sorry to hear about Rex, Pudd.

DS - Doing my homework now to see if it fits into our lifestyle, etc, but the wifey has been asking for a while now about this. I guess what we are looking for is a "guard" dog. The wife wants a medium to large dog that is trained well, either purchased that way or trained together in a professional setting. She has a vision of a "guard" dog sitting at the foot of our daughters bed every night ready to protect her.

I also see some advantages such as the dog alerting us prior to a window or door being broken in, thus setting of home security devices, etc.

Thanks for the replies.

Mike

Mike,

Ive researched and found that a lot of breeds have natural tendencies to protect "their pack" and need very little training to get to this point. Plus, these breeds are very good with kids. The only problem is friendly strangers which a few breeds cannot differentiate from. (Hence my mail man comment)

Rottweilers and German Shepherds have fallen on this list of those breeds that are natural protectors.

Good luck with the search. Our fam will have to go through this process soon and the more research we do, the better. I hate seeing dog owners who had no clue what they were getting into. In other words, every time I see a poor Husky in LA's environment, I have to shake my head and wonder if their owner keeps them in 50 degree air conditioned rooms during the day, or simply had no clue that the 'warmer than normal' temperatures in LA would not be convenient for their dog. "But he looks like a wolf tho!"

Keep us posted on the hunt! Hopefully you get the dog that every family deserves.

-ds

Dci4me
09-11-2017, 03:51 PM
No doubt, ds. I still have lots of reading to do before making a decision. I figured I would start here with like minded folk. Always good and plenty of advice/experience here.

Mike

old pudd fisher
09-11-2017, 09:45 PM
Hey Mike check out one of the animal adoption shelters, that's where I got all my dogs they are the best ever and need a good home. I wanted to bring all of them home if I could.

Ssortasober
09-12-2017, 08:08 AM
This guy right here, he's not nice at all. He's good at herding sheep.
I don't own any sheep

Lady Quagga
09-12-2017, 03:50 PM
Personally, my favorite dog was my Belgian Shepherd. Fast, agile, active, great around the kids. She could bound through snow like nobody's business, and damn near ran down a deer that came down the hillside near the house.

I found out much later that they are the breed of choice for the Secret Service, and have taken down fence hoppers at the White House. But they demand constant activity and attention, and left to their own devices will start tearing things apart. Definitely not "latchkey" dogs.

Dci4me
09-13-2017, 07:32 PM
Hey Mike check out one of the animal adoption shelters, that's where I got all my dogs they are the best ever and need a good home. I wanted to bring all of them home if I could.

Our last dog, RIP, was a shelter dog. Best dog I have ever had. Her loyalty had no bounds and was the best watchdog I have ever known.

Dci4me
09-13-2017, 07:34 PM
This guy right here, he's not nice at all. He's good at herding sheep.
I don't own any sheep

Your avatar? Is a collie? My dad recently brought home an Australian Cattle Dog, also known as a Heeler. He also has no cattle or sheep. Cool dog. With the lack of farm animals, the dog is left to herd humans.

Dci4me
09-13-2017, 07:36 PM
Personally, my favorite dog was my Belgian Shepherd. Fast, agile, active, great around the kids. She could bound through snow like nobody's business, and damn near ran down a deer that came down the hillside near the house.

I found out much later that they are the breed of choice for the Secret Service, and have taken down fence hoppers at the White House. But they demand constant activity and attention, and left to their own devices will start tearing things apart. Definitely not "latchkey" dogs.

I definitely need something that has some independence. I was planning to take a lot of vacation in the beginning to train and house break. After that the dog will be left indoors during normal work hours.

Lady Quagga
09-13-2017, 08:07 PM
Your avatar? Is a collie? My dad recently brought home an Australian Cattle Dog, also known as a Heeler. He also has no cattle or sheep. Cool dog. With the lack of farm animals, the dog is left to herd humans.

My sister lives in a rural area and owns horses, pigs, chickens, digs, cats, etc. One of her dogs is an Australian, who loves to nip at the ankles of anything walking by. Very easygoing and loves praise.

Funny thing - he decimated the ground squirrel population my sister had on her property.

Not so funny - he slaughtered a couple of the chickens out of boredom.

You definitely need to keep them active, especially around other livestock.

old pudd fisher
09-13-2017, 08:58 PM
Dog are so much fun, here is my little one kickin the big dogs *** at play time.5032250323

Ssortasober
09-14-2017, 08:27 AM
Yeah he's a border collie. He herds my kids and hunts bacon. He gets bored so I gotta take him out regularly