PDA

View Full Version : Caddis NAV2 "HELP!" Anyone have one?

MagicWorm
10-20-2007, 05:34 PM
I just picked up the caddis nav 2 and took it up to lake gregory is it common for tubes to lose air in cold water?
The valves on the back of the caddis screw in then you pump it up. How tight shouild you screw them in?
Do you fill the pontoons up 1st then the back rest? Also would any of you like to get together next week and go tubing during the week? Im am free Mon and wends after noon and I am off tues. I first tried the trout unlimited togiak and it was ok but the back rest kept poking me in my side (ouch it's metal) made it very uncomfortable. Loved the valves on the 2 pontoons though. I weight 240lbs and seemed like it sunk in a lil in the back. The tube was not very fast and because you sat up so high kills your knees while your treadin water. Could be I was to heavy for it max weight was 250... i love the caddis just havin the inflation problem :evil: . It's fast and I can kik all day with no pain. Big plus. :D I looked at the fish cat but i believe I am to big for it...

I am new to tubing any additional help would be great.

Joshua

Nessie Hunter
10-20-2007, 06:02 PM
Yes on the air..

Cold water or air will condense the air in the tube...

I made extension tubes for my ODC, so I could re inflate while on the water. Come in real handy of you spring an air leak also, kept me fishing with slow leak instead of going home depressed..

Also be careful going UP hill, the altitude will over inflate or POP the tube, deflate before you go up at LEAST half way or more. I have almost blown mine up going to Big Bear from Hesperia with it half inflated...(Hesperia is at almost 3,500 ft)....

For big guys and max comfort you may want to look at the Outcast, Fish Cat Prowler. High end to the max, but you will pay for it also..

jbacsaf
10-20-2007, 11:37 PM
I made extension tubes for my ODC, so I could re inflate while on the water.

Frank, can you expand on this a bit more? Possibly a pic, if its not too much trouble. I have a slow leak on my ODC. I almost sank today trying to pump more air into that bladder.

rcfb73
10-21-2007, 01:40 AM
i own a navII as well, the best way to inflate it is inflate the U-bladder first, then the pontoons, then the backrest that way the crossbar in the front will stay in posistion and not cause the tube to bow in when your in the water. im 6' and 240 and have had no comfort problems with my navII...i love it.

Nessie Hunter
10-21-2007, 01:24 PM
I made extension tubes for my ODC, so I could re inflate while on the water.

Frank, can you expand on this a bit more? Possibly a pic, if its not too much trouble. I have a slow leak on my ODC. I almost sank today trying to pump more air into that bladder.

No problem... Hardware store for a section of clear Tubing 5/8" OD (outside Diameter) Mine are cut to 20" in length (2, one for each side)..

5/8 " is just a tad small, so wrap duct tape on end till you have a snug fit (until it will stay in place in the valve by itself) I keep one in each tackle pocket.. Had a slow leak one time in NPH and just kept the tube in place and blew it up every once in awhile, Saved the day...

jbacsaf
10-22-2007, 03:34 PM
Got it, thanks Nessie...

fishrookie
10-22-2007, 08:07 PM
hey nessie, can you also use that hose for a beer bong :lol:

Nessie Hunter
10-22-2007, 08:16 PM
hey nessie, can you also use that hose for a beer bong :lol:

:rofl: :rofl:

Now that I think about it.
It was probably some flash back that made me think of it.. :lol: :beer:

fishrookie
10-23-2007, 08:26 AM
hey ness, have you ever tried making a fitting that would have a tire valve stem on it, so you could put air in it and know the pressure? would it work or is it a waste of time?

Big_Mike
10-23-2007, 08:55 AM
I have a nav II and what i do is inflate it the night before and let it sit out the way it all works is the heat in the summer needs less air to inflate and in the winter you need more do to the moliculs moving slower so if you leave it out over night it will get to its lowest and when you get there pump it up the rest of the way. i do the pontoons first then work my way up thus putting more preshur on the toons to keep it even more inflated. if you got your tube from big 5 thats the best place they say if you ever have a problems with it even if its your fault they will replace it for free so if you pop it take it back but i have not popped it yet.

Nessie Hunter
10-23-2007, 11:26 AM
hey ness, have you ever tried making a fitting that would have a tire valve stem on it, so you could put air in it and know the pressure? would it work or is it a waste of time?

Be more trouble then its worth.. :bang:

I inflate to exactly......... *What my lung pressure is* :-), I inflate with 12V pump to soft, then fill with lungs till I cant get any more in.. That seems tight and about right, never had any problems with over inflating....

When the tube hits cold water on a cold morning at gray light, I normally have to top it off again, then let a little out as the sun warms it up...

I live at 3,500 ft, so have to deflate to go back up the hill, unless I tube the Wood.... I am constantly inflating & deflating.....

Over inflation can cause a blow out. Under inflation causes a lot of drag in the water.. So I pay attention to it and keep it as close to right as I can....

fishrookie
10-23-2007, 08:46 PM
thanks for the info Ness.

OH yeah sorry if i high jacked this one.