PDA

View Full Version : Any rainbows or brownies being caught?

billy b
08-26-2017, 11:35 AM
... Or is it just bass and stripers?

Used to be some great ... fat trout being caught

kwin
08-28-2017, 10:34 AM
... Or is it just bass and stripers?

Used to be some great ... fat trout being caught

Our angler survey shows no one is currently trying to catch trout. They should be around and easy to target. Water has been 68 degrees with 5 mg/l dissolved oxygen at the thermocline all summer. I did catch about a dozen chromed trout to 4 lbs in late June/early July.

titos334
08-28-2017, 09:57 PM
Our angler survey shows no one is currently trying to catch trout. They should be around and easy to target. Water has been 68 degrees with 5 mg/l dissolved oxygen at the thermocline all summer. I did catch about a dozen chromed trout to 4 lbs in late June/early July.

Do you know how deep the cline is?

kwin
08-29-2017, 01:15 PM
Do you know how deep the cline is?

July profile showed 7-8 meters

BassinPLS
08-30-2017, 08:22 AM
July profile showed 7-8 meters

Kwin,

Thank you for your valuable information. It is great to have you as a resource!

DarkShadow
08-30-2017, 02:59 PM
Where the Browns at?!

Gobigal
09-05-2017, 07:41 PM
Where the Browns at?!

Cleveland........

Gobigal
09-05-2017, 07:56 PM

Sorry, but I have to ask. You caught a dozen "chromed" holdover trout up to 4 lbs in late June/July? Boy, I must be missing something. I used to fish for holdover trout up until 2010, when it finally turned into a lost cause. Trolled the west dam with leadcore between 40-50 feet and did pretty good, but after that year.......NADA! I only catch an occasional striper on my "silverside" spoon which worked well for the holdover trout back then.

kwin
09-06-2017, 12:04 PM
Sorry, but I have to ask. You caught a dozen "chromed" holdover trout up to 4 lbs in late June/July? Boy, I must be missing something. I used to fish for holdover trout up until 2010, when it finally turned into a lost cause. Trolled the west dam with leadcore between 40-50 feet and did pretty good, but after that year.......NADA! I only catch an occasional striper on my "silverside" spoon which worked well for the holdover trout back then.

I caught these fish trying to catch panfish above the thermocline. I was not trolling and happened upon them by accident. The bite held up for about 2 weeks then it went away when it got real hot.

Give that the water quality and stratification are the best they have been in a long while, it might be worth trying again.

kwin
09-06-2017, 12:06 PM
Where the Browns at?!

dead most likely

Gobigal
09-06-2017, 01:02 PM
I caught these fish trying to catch panfish above the thermocline. I was not trolling and happened upon them by accident. The bite held up for about 2 weeks then it went away when it got real hot.

Give that the water quality and stratification are the best they have been in a long while, it might be worth trying again.

Thanks for all your valuable intel regarding DVL. Really enjoyed those earlier times catching 3-4 lb pink-meated holdover trout and knowing that they're still available has my juices flowing again. Was completely defeated over the last few years thinking the striped bass influence wiped-out any semblance of a potential long lasting holdover trout fishery. After watching the Castaic, Silverwood and Perris holdover trout population lose out to striped bass, I was reserved to accept the same fate at DVL. I actually sold my 14 ft aluminum fishing boat for a 17 ft. Bass Tracker believing fishing for holdover trout at DVL was dead.

With the thermocline between 22-26 ft. in July I suspect as the water cools during fall we could potentially have the same profile set-up around November or sooner.

seal
09-07-2017, 09:16 AM
dead most likely

An honest response. But why? Low water levels contributing to poor water quality? Predation? I would think Silverwood would be a better choice to try browns at again, please!

kwin
09-07-2017, 03:47 PM
An honest response. But why? Low water levels contributing to poor water quality? Predation? I would think Silverwood would be a better choice to try browns at again, please!

Lake profile taken October 2014 is a snapshot of what happened. Warm water has good DO, cold water has none....which is bad for trout This persisted 50/52 weeks a year from 2013 until the lake began to refill a year ago. Not hard to figure out.

DarkShadow
09-07-2017, 04:06 PM
Not hard to figure out.

Kwin,

If it wasn't 'hard to figure out' that the lake would eventually not be suitable to maintain a population of brown trout (unless DVL created a new ecosystem that nobody had seen before in any fisheries research, which I somehow doubt), then why did the DFG go forth in stocking these browns when "it's not hard to figure out" they wouldn't survive?

Seems like a waste of resources and money, doesn't it?

seal
09-08-2017, 08:52 AM
Lake profile taken October 2014 is a snapshot of what happened. Warm water has good DO, cold water has none....which is bad for trout This persisted 50/52 weeks a year from 2013 until the lake began to refill a year ago. Not hard to figure out.

Well I would think that DVL is always going to have some low water level years being at the bottom of the chain but on the other hand Silverwood usually maintains a good water level in a higher elevation lake, most draw downs are when aqueduct work is being done during the fall to spring when water temps are cooler and water quality impacts I would think minimized. Sure would like to see those trophy browns return to the Wood, a guy can dream right?

contium
09-08-2017, 02:15 PM

Very cool. Too bad info like that isn't public.

Ssortasober
09-12-2017, 08:28 AM
Hey I disagree