PDA

View Full Version : No Fishing Near Docks + Report

carpanglerdude
07-31-2017, 09:44 AM
Fished Lake Perris for a brief period yesterday evening. In the past, I used to do exceptionally well at dusk fishing for big bluegill and redears with micro topwater lures and flys just to either side of the docks at the marina. Would always have a crowd in that location, no problems fishing there. That was about 3-4 years ago.

When I arrived yesterday, there was two no fishing signs along the beach that faces the marina. I ended up walking to the last sign and fishing just outside of it, catching one small bluegill on a topwater Yo-Zuri Aile Kilifish. I can't recall if those no fishing signs on the beach were there in the past or not, but I certainly remember plenty of people fishing there.

Additionally, while fishing, an older gentleman and his grandchildren arrived at the docks to fish, and were accosted by a belligerent younger man (he did not appear to be an employee, was just hanging out with a few female friends), who tried to stop him from fishing off the dock, by stating that no fishing was allowed at all in that area. This was after hours, the pay-to-fish area of the dock at the end had been closed for a while, and the older man was just fishing off the dock outside of the fenced off region. I've seen plenty of people fishing here before as well, but as I haven't been to the lake in several years I don't know if anything has changed. Anyway, the two got into a fairly heated argument, nearly ending in a fight until they were separated, with the younger individual mostly being the aggressor. Not sure why he was so charged up about fishing or not in that area, anyone seen this before at the marina?

Tight lines!

DarkShadow
07-31-2017, 10:51 AM
Sucks about the slower than average day. A decade ago, you'd go to Perris at dusk and catch fish till the skunks came crawling through your legs, both largemouth and big bluegill. Things have certainly...changed.

Not sure why he was so charged up....

...was just hanging out with a few female friends

Little boy trying to impress his female friends, perhaps?

Something tells me he drives a jacked up truck with a Monster decal on the rear window, along with the ole "Calvin-peein'-on-the-hated-rival-truck-manufacturer's-logo" sticker right next to that.

Brent
07-31-2017, 02:19 PM
Sucks about the slower than average day. A decade ago, you'd go to Perris at dusk and catch fish till the skunks came crawling through your legs, both largemouth and big bluegill. Things have certainly...changed.

Little boy trying to impress his female friends, perhaps?

Something tells me he drives a jacked up truck with a Monster decal on the rear window, along with the ole "Calvin-peein'-on-the-hated-rival-truck-manufacturer's-logo" sticker right next to that.

The truck should be 'blacked out' as well with tinted windows you can't see out of.

HuskerRod
08-03-2017, 06:06 PM
This certainly is new to me, but the young guy meant business and must go around giving threatening fisticuffs to anyone that crosses his path. Probably the same guy that threatened " to give me so many lefts I'd be begging for a right" if I didn't give him a wider birth at the launch. This guy walked with a big stick and had a chip on his shoulder. And I do believe he had a monster truck....with a pair of those balls hanging off the back bumper....

Natural Lefty
08-03-2017, 09:05 PM
I have not been there in a couple of months, but earlier this year, I fished from those docks after the gate was closed with no problem. Maybe that aggressive guy has been scaring people away recently. Argh! As for the fishing, panfish catching has been unusually slow this year, at least from shore, one reason I haven't been there more often. Also, I was on vacation recently with my wife on a multi-state trip, fishing and sightseeing, and we had much better luck than locally. :) It rained almost everyday though, and again on Tuesday in Moreno Valley after our return.

HuskerRod
08-04-2017, 08:51 AM
Well if theirs a guy willing to "kick tail and take names" to keep people off the docks maybe that is an indication the bite at the docks is currently off the hook and he is trying to save an epic bite all to himself. Hell, I am willing to take a little punishment for good quality panfishing.

WARRIORMIKE
08-04-2017, 09:10 AM
DFG will give you a ticket for fishing at the marina boat docks.

HuskerRod
08-04-2017, 09:57 AM
I know all about tickets and Perris. I was the proud recipient two years ago of a $315 ticket for fishing out in a boat 15 minutes beyond closing.

Maybe the young tough on the dock did the older fellow with his grandkids a solid. By threatening to inflict bodily harm he may have saved him a ticket. I mean, I would much rather had "the spit knocked out of my mouth" then got that $315 ticket back in the day. I wish that young pugalist would have been around back then to threaten some sense in me. Think of all the tackle I could have bought with that $315.

muskyman
08-04-2017, 05:46 PM
I know that most people in life that go around threatening people like that, either were never breast fed as a child or never hugged. Probably both for him. And the big truck with the big balls...........ya, usually means small pee pee

HuskerRod
08-04-2017, 06:39 PM
Muskyman Dave, Brent, Dark Shadow..what is this a reunion of freespool.net and reelanglers.net all tied up into one. Where you living these days, DAve????? And you still doing that annual pilgrimage to Lake of the Woods? Any monster fish stories to share out?

jdogg661420
08-05-2017, 12:48 AM
the thing about those signs though is you need to find out who put it up. and if its even legit. ive seen it on youtube. people think they own the water ect and put no fishing signs up and they really have 0 authority on the matter. but it deters people from fishing there. usually libs who think fishing should be a crime.

Natural Lefty
08-05-2017, 11:16 AM
Nope. Usually conservatives who think they own everything that they can get their grubby little hands on.

etucker1959
08-05-2017, 01:50 PM
Nope. Usually conservatives who think they own everything that they can get their grubby little hands on.

Let me pile on with Natural Lefty. A true Conservative thinks the only good governmental spending is on the military and police. (private enterprise like a pay lake is true to their philosophy) It's the Liberal philosophy that government should do things to make people lives easier and more enjoyable. If Conservative really had their way, they would slash every budget they could except the military. So public waters would either be privatize or made to pay their own way without any governmental financial assistance. Don't like the fees your paying now to fish Lake Perris. Imagine paying the fees similar to Corona lake, a total private enterprise.

Marley
08-05-2017, 04:29 PM
Let me pile on with Natural Lefty. A true Conservative thinks the only good governmental spending is on the military and police. (private enterprise like a pay lake is true to their philosophy) It's the Liberal philosophy that government should do things to make people lives easier and more enjoyable. If Conservative really had their way, they would slash every budget they could except the military. So public waters would either be privatize or made to pay their own way without any governmental financial assistance. Don't like the fees your paying now to fish Lake Perris. Imagine paying the fees similar to Corona lake, a total private enterprise.

Some folks have asked why the number of fishing reports has dropped dramatically. This **** is why.

HuskerRod
08-05-2017, 05:28 PM
Some folks have asked why the number of fishing reports has dropped dramatically. This **** is why.

I have noticed their is not much life on the board. I always look specifically at DVL and Perris. The last action on DVL was july 5th and if it wasnt for a tough guy threatening "to kick and *** and take names" the Perris board would be dead as well.

Natural Lefty
08-05-2017, 06:10 PM
Well said, ETucker. They would privatize everything. I can already see that happening, with fewer and fewer local waters available to the public. Corona Lake is currently closed even though full, by the way. Arrowhead no longer has any public access (it used to until about 10 years ago.) Vail Lake is now only open to people who buy a vacation home there or some such. And I am sure that there are other examples in the area.

As for the liveliness of this board, it seems to me that ETucker is one of the liveliest members, if not the most. Notice that my comment above was in response to another member, who made the topic political, not me.

etucker1959
08-05-2017, 06:11 PM

No it's not!!!! It's part mathematics, part environmental and economic reasons and I can prove what I'm talking about!!!! Click on Forum on the start page and scroll down to the bottom. It gives how many members are viewing (who they are also) and how many non members are viewing. When I joined FNN back in 2011 the ratio of non members to members was 7-8 to 1. Now it's 30-150 to 1 non members viewing to members. Fish reports can only be written by a member!!!! Now a day's most people would just rather read then participate.

In the past when there were more members just more fish reports were being written. (that's a numbers game) There was also a lot of more haters back then who would attack fish reports. The most common reason given (for being a hater) was you were burning my favorite fishing locations. A strange thing then happened about 18 months ago and continues on to this day. The "Hater's" on fish report stopped hating. So you would think some of the old members who were burned in the past on writing fish reports. Would and should start writing fish reports again. Unfortunately that hasn't happened. I guess once you get flamed by people, you develop a long memory on the experience.

It also doesn't help that we lost Irvine lake, Corona lake and LNL. A lot of fish reports came out of those 3 lakes. Or the DFG stopped or cut back on their fish planting. (that wrecked the Park reports) Also what happened to the "Killer Striper bite" at Diamond Valley. (a lot of reports were written on that one) El Nino has been gone for over a year now and that wrecked the writing of many Salt Water fishing reports. The drought also wrecked the streams reports. Also for personal reasons, we lost the people up North who were great reporters for their region. A few prima donas also left for other reasons too. Those are the real reasons why the amount of fish reports have dropped. Not for correcting someones misguided political beliefs.

PS I practice what I preach!!! I'll write up any half way decent fishing experience that I have. In doing so, "I became the number 1 writer" (quantity) of fish reports on FNN.

PPS I just did a fact check of members to non members at 8:20 pm Saturday. I won't count myself because I was just fact checking. There was 256 non members viewing and only 2 members viewing. Divide 2 into 256, that's a ratio of 128 to 1 non members to members. That's a huge difference, no wonder there are so few fish reports available to read!!!!!

muskyman
08-05-2017, 06:35 PM
I live in Loudon TN now on the TN river. 45 seconds from the launch ramp.... the free launch ramp, with no inspections. Stripers galore, tailwater fishing, monster catfish, muskies..........pinch me, I wanna make sure I am not dreaming !!!!! Just got back from Canada, and this was a tough trip on the fishing this year. But it was still awesome !

Natural Lefty
08-05-2017, 06:45 PM
I agree about those reasons, ETucker. I am one of those who doesn't report as much as before. I could report about the big, multistate trip that my wife and I just took, but there are more compelling things for me to do. I also was a victim of haters at times, but mostly it was the political atmosphere that caused me and several others to go to Facebook (where among other things, we often consult each other about fishing). Irvine Lake is another one that we have lost. I didn't know about LNL. I thought it was still open, but maybe they stopped stocking it.

I think that the mediocre fishing in California from the drought and whatever is happening in the ocean these past few years is not to be underestimated in causing the number of fishing reports to decline. Perhaps the number of reports will go back up now that the drought is officially over. Perris Lake for instance is scheduled to be refilled next year, which should help the fishing there.

Muskyman, one of our stops on the trip was on the Tennessee River backwaters. My wife and I caught quite a few small fish there, but it was fun. She caught a Freshwater Drum and 2 small White Bass, which we had never caught before. I missed out on those but was happy for her just the same. This was at Ditto Landing near Huntsville.

MillsapBoyz
08-05-2017, 09:40 PM
I joined FN just over a year ago just to get some insight to the local fishing. I just started bass fishing after 50 + years fishing the Sierras. There were far more posts just a year ago. I have seen many people chastised for writing reports. The way I look at it we're all in this together, so I have no problem sharing intel. The only problem is I haven't figured these damn So Cal bass out. I'd love to see more posts here. I check for Perris and DVL regularly also. I've gone to Clear Lake and Shasta, and done very well. Wish we had lakes like that here. As for politics, leave that for another forum.

Natural Lefty
08-05-2017, 09:57 PM
I went to Clear Lake for the first time in April, caught a large Crappie on my first cast (from shore at the state park), on a Trout Magnet, and continued catching from there. I agree that it is a remarkable fishery. I have yet to fish Shasta, though.

etucker1959
08-06-2017, 05:37 AM
I agree about those reasons, ETucker. I am one of those who doesn't report as much as before. I could report about the big, multistate trip that my wife and I just took, but there are more compelling things for me to do. I also was a victim of haters at times, but mostly it was the political atmosphere that caused me and several others to go to Facebook (where among other things, we often consult each other about fishing). Irvine Lake is another one that we have lost. I didn't know about LNL. I thought it was still open, but maybe they stopped stocking it.

I think that the mediocre fishing in California from the drought and whatever is happening in the ocean these past few years is not to be underestimated in causing the number of fishing reports to decline. Perhaps the number of reports will go back up now that the drought is officially over. Perris Lake for instance is scheduled to be refilled next year, which should help the fishing there.

Muskyman, one of our stops on the trip was on the Tennessee River backwaters. My wife and I caught quite a few small fish there, but it was fun. She caught a Freshwater Drum and 2 small White Bass, which we had never caught before. I missed out on those but was happy for her just the same. This was at Ditto Landing near Huntsville.

I know I've got more free time to fish and write up fish reports then the average person. It also really helps that I have a fishing partner (Glenn) who is retired and willing to go fishing anywhere, so I'm on this board all the time. Since the election and the Haters basically starved to death. (for lack of prey) There is now a vacuum on this board. I'm trying to help fill the vacuum with as many fish reports as I can possibly write. I encourage anyone with a good fish story to write it up. You mention your trip up to Clear lake. (that's on my bucket list) It not only has great Crappie fishing but arguably some of the best Catfishing this state has to offer. These are the kind of trips, that I and many other members would love to read about.

Natural Lefty
08-06-2017, 02:07 PM
I can give you some photos. Crappie on first cast of the year, on an orange Trout Magnet, Clear Lake State Park in April

Natural Lefty
08-06-2017, 02:08 PM
More to come later. I have to go for now. ;)

fishmounter
08-06-2017, 05:33 PM
I too am guilty of just checking the reports.. pretty much just my two fishing spots- Perris and my local park, Fairmount. If I go out, i'll also leave some kind of report, but due to health reasons, I don't fish as often as I used to. Every morning, I'll check the reports just to see if anyone is doing any good at my spots. In the past, there have been many fishermen that have left this site because of some bitter disagreements and crazy-nutty people getting in their faces. It's happened to me, and I did stay away for quite some time. But I'm back and 'gotta say it's great to see some familiar names back on FNN. Now I need to figure out how to post pics again, since Photobucket decided to start charging a huge fee..

Natural Lefty
08-06-2017, 05:50 PM
Fishmounter, I have always clicked on Go Advanced, and added photos as attachments. They don't show up as big photos in the report or comment, but it is easy and it works.

Natural Lefty
08-06-2017, 05:56 PM
Speaking of which: 17 inch holdover trout for Lake Gregory on May 4, caught on a redworm. Sorry about Zunliang being sideways. I am not sure how to fix that.

Natural Lefty
08-06-2017, 06:09 PM
Nine pound, 12 ounce Carp from Aha Quin on the Colorado River, caught in late April while fishing for panfish. We gave it to some of Zunliang's friends who like Carp.

Plus, one of the large Redear Sunfish caught at Aha Quin in late May.

fishmounter
08-07-2017, 12:04 AM
NL - Nice Trout! I know it was good eating too! Yeah, those Redears get really big in the Colorado River, especially in the Lake Havasu area. Well we've changed the topic enough, it's suppose to be "Lake Perris Reports", so we better get off of here..

castle
08-07-2017, 03:11 AM
Those signs at the marina have been on both sides for quite a while. When I was the a year ago the water level was so low the fishing there really sucked.Place is a total sewer now.

DarkShadow
08-07-2017, 09:21 AM
And I do believe he had a monster truck....with a pair of those balls hanging off the back bumper....

And I bet he has more than a few TapouT shirts in his collection, and has used, "Do you even lift, brah?" once today.

MillsapBoyz
08-07-2017, 10:02 AM
I went to Clear Lake for the first time in April, caught a large Crappie on my first cast (from shore at the state park), on a Trout Magnet, and continued catching from there. I agree that it is a remarkable fishery. I have yet to fish Shasta, though.

I have been to Clear Lake twice in June, and it was solid, but my son and I went last August and caught 252!!! We have caught a 12 lb. Cat (on a Senko), Crappie, and Bluegill, but mostly bass. Went to Shasta a couple of days this past July and caught 20 + a day, almost all Smallies. It was good, but it's no Clear Lake. I do not fish for Crappie per se, but the guy at the local bait shop told me that there are 5,000 + a week pulled out during spawning season during I believe March. We were marking schools of what I believe were Crappie in June this year, and they were schools of several hundred if not more. My son caught several using a white spinner bait. It's crazy that we come home and get skunked at DVL. Caught 3 last week at Perris before the lake lice ran us out.

Natural Lefty
08-07-2017, 11:13 AM
You're correct, Fishmounter. Sorry to hijack your thread, Carpanglerdude. ETucker wanted to see more about my fishing, so I thought I would post some photos. I still haven't posted photos from my recent trip with my wife. We have Arctic Grayling photos, Walleye photos, Brookie photos, etc. ;)

I was surprised to catch a large, pink meated trout from Lake Gregory. I guess I was just lucky, and it did taste good. Fishing Queen showed me a photo of one she caught there too. I have been fishing more this year, with notable catches at times, but lack of fish at others. Zunliang caught a lot of fish during our trip, too. I hope to get back to catching at Perris soon.

I was trying for Crappie at Clear Lake, fishing from shore with jigs, and it was great until the rain and cold weather made the fish go away.

etucker1959
08-07-2017, 11:34 AM
You're correct, Fishmounter. Sorry to hijack your thread, Carpanglerdude. ETucker wanted to see more about my fishing, so I thought I would post some photos. I still haven't posted photos from my recent trip with my wife. We have Arctic Grayling photos, Walleye photos, Brookie photos, etc. ;)

I was surprised to catch a large, pink meated trout from Lake Gregory. I guess I was just lucky, and it did taste good. Fishing Queen showed me a photo of one she caught there too. I have been fishing more this year, with notable catches at times, but lack of fish at others. Zunliang caught a lot of fish during our trip, too. I hope to get back to catching at Perris soon.

I was trying for Crappie at Clear Lake, fishing from shore with jigs, and it was great until the rain and cold weather made the fish go away.

I'm not trying to thread jack, but I would love to hear about any ones great fishing trips. (Clear lake especially)

Natural Lefty
08-07-2017, 11:57 AM
Yes, I know, ETucker. Actually, I find it amusing when threads take twists and turns, as long as it doesn't turn nasty. I just don't know how everyone else feels about that.

I really should post my trip photos. ;)

DarkShadow
08-07-2017, 04:40 PM
...but my son and I went last August and caught 252!!!

Are you suuuuuuuuure it wasn't 251?

fishmounter
08-07-2017, 05:05 PM
OK.. I want to know it all about Clear Lake. Best time of year?, how long of a drive is it, and where is the best places to stay and get meals for a few days. I would love to take the wife up there and catch some nice sized crappie. You can PM me if you'd like.

carpanglerdude
08-07-2017, 06:00 PM
Go without checking the board for a few days, come back to 4 pages on a thread. Very nice!

Good to see some life in here. Unlike the fishing at the Lake Perris docks.

GhettoBasster
08-07-2017, 06:21 PM
Go without checking the board for a few days, come back to 4 pages on a thread. Very nice!

Good to see some life in here. Unlike the fishing at the Lake Perris docks.

Nice job stirring the pot Carp!

HuskerRod
08-07-2017, 07:48 PM
Yah, what do you know an actual thread with a lot of good info and humor. I'm surprised the board hadn't crashed from all the action.

THE Clear Lake talk has me drooling....252 fish...schools of crappie...12 pound catfish....even in my dreams do I rarely get catfish over 10 pounds. Not to mention more then, say, 50 fish days. Then I wake up to the " ho hum" scratch out six bass or so at Perris while dodging jet skiis.

I'm almost tempted to not fish at all and save up my resources from all the not going fishing to take an annual big fishing trip with the monies i accumulate to...well....a place like Clear lake. Decide to stay home versus heading to DVL... $30 saved....12 gallons of gas there. Oh, that trip to Perris and that $225 annual fee for a year pass....that's two nights at Clear Lake. Heck, maybe three if I found a real budget Inn. How about all those trips to SARL. That's at least another $30 in Power Bait, a few hundred in entry fees, and $100 or so in gas. Hell, I could eat like a king with that at Clear Lake tip be damned.

All this and I wouldn't have to worry about a guy trying to "kick 100% of my ***" for trying to catch 1% of the pan fish population at the Perris docks

etucker1959
08-07-2017, 08:17 PM
Let me put my 2 cents in about Clear lake too!!!! About 3 years ago the single most exciting thread to me was written here on FNN about Clear lake. 2 FNN board members went up in May to fish the Catfish Derby. In 3 days of hard fishing they caught either 700 lbs of catfish or 1000 lbs I can't be sure which. (it doesn't matter that's impressive!!!) Most of the fish were 8-15 pounds if I remember correctly and a few 20 pounders thrown in for good measure. That's not even fishing to me, but just plain killing it!!!!! (enough said)

HuskerRod
08-07-2017, 08:58 PM
I always knew Clear Lake was a bassers dream, but now your saying catfish and crappie as well??? I need to get to this mecca

MillsapBoyz
08-07-2017, 10:53 PM
Are you suuuuuuuuure it wasn't 251?

Could've been. We are both competitive, and have small side bets. I won of course 140-112. He did catch the biggest at 7.5.

MillsapBoyz
08-07-2017, 11:11 PM
OK.. I want to know it all about Clear Lake. Best time of year?, how long of a drive is it, and where is the best places to stay and get meals for a few days. I would love to take the wife up there and catch some nice sized crappie. You can PM me if you'd like.

I live in Chino, and it is about a 500 mile drive. It is about 100 miles outside of Sacramento near Napa Valley. It is the largest natural lake in California. It is 18 miles an 7 miles wide. We camp at the state park, but there are several hotels in the area. They have cabins at the state park with no real amenities for $60 a night. I believe there are about 7 cities on the lake. They have just about any type of restaurant you would like. Pogos pizza in Kelseyville has some of the best pizza I've ever had. Spring is supposed to be the best time for Crappie during the spawn. If you go to Clear Lake Outdoors bait shop in Lake Port, they are extremely helpful with tips. He told me that 5,000 crappie a week are caught during the spawn. We marked massive schools on Henderson Point. My son caught several in the 2-3 lb. range. I will guarantee you won't regret your trip.

MillsapBoyz
08-07-2017, 11:18 PM
I always knew Clear Lake was a bassers dream, but now your saying catfish and crappie as well??? I need to get to this mecca

We weren't even fishing for them either. Oh and I forgot to mention blue gill. I caught only 1 on a Senko, but guys were catching 20 + an hour right off the docks at the state park. And nobody tried to jump them either lol.

HuskerRod
08-08-2017, 08:23 AM
You mean I can actually fish off the public docks without paying a fee, getting ticketed, and getting my backside punished, violated, or threatened? Next your gonna tell me the lake is open 24-7. This place is heaven on earth.

MillsapBoyz
08-08-2017, 12:48 PM
You mean I can actually fish off the public docks without paying a fee, getting ticketed, and getting my backside punished, violated, or threatened? Next your gonna tell me the lake is open 24-7. This place is heaven on earth.

it is open 24/7. I have never fished at night though. when we went in June the weather was not great, so I never even considered it.

HuskerRod
08-08-2017, 01:03 PM
it is open 24/7. I have never fished at night though. when we went in June the weather was not great, so I never even considered it.

So no launch fees, parking fees, tagging fees, inspections, and waiting at the gate for the employees to open up???? Mr. Milsap ( or his bro) this place sounds amazing. Next your gonna tell me I can actually touch the water and make body contact.

fishmounter
08-08-2017, 03:16 PM
One more thing, and I think I know the answer… can you float tube there, and do you have to launch from certain places, like boat launching ramps, or can I just get in anywhere?

bass413
08-08-2017, 05:21 PM
So no launch fees, parking fees, tagging fees......

Let's not get too excited, it is in California still. I'm sure there will be a fee or two somewhere mixed in. .....:Wink:

HuskerRod
08-08-2017, 06:26 PM
Let's not get too excited, it is in California still. I'm sure there will be a fee or two somewhere mixed in. .....:Wink:

I did just see that my Poppy pass is good at Clear Lake.

MillsapBoyz
08-08-2017, 06:30 PM
So no launch fees, parking fees, tagging fees, inspections, and waiting at the gate for the employees to open up???? Mr. Milsap ( or his bro) this place sounds amazing. Next your gonna tell me I can actually touch the water and make body contact.

You have to have your boat inspected when you arrive. You can go to any bait shop or they do it at the state park. You get a monthly tag for $10-20. It is in the state park system , so the pass for Perris is accepted. If you camp, they make you pay a $5 launch fee, because the pass is for day use. If you stay elsewhere there are several free launches. I have launched out of Lakeport on 3rd or 5th street. You can float tube, ski, etc., but it is nothing like here. There was never more than 5 boats at the state park. You can go for miles without seeing another boat. It is a large lake , so the wind and waves can be an issue. We had 3 & 4 foot rollers in June, but it can be windy on one side of the lake and completely calm on another. That is why we have launched out of Lakeport in the past. There are also several river channels that are generally calm. It really is an amazing lake. I am seriously considering buying a house on the lake and retiring there. The last pic is the house I want. I sure it's several million. They do have houses starting at $200,000, and they have several mobile home parks with slips cheaper than you'd find here.5023550236502375023850239

bass413
08-08-2017, 08:48 PM
I did just see that my Poppy pass is good at Clear Lake.

I just renewed mine a week ago. I'm anxiously awaiting the dam to be completed and the water returning. I'm anticipating the next few spawns to be very healthy with all the brush that will be submerged. I'm sure it won't come close to Clear Lake, but Perris in 2019 and 2020 should turn some heads!

HuskerRod
08-08-2017, 09:03 PM
We had anticipated retiring in minnesota and going back and forth from there to socal. But in all fairness I should take a look at Clear Lake. Be a helluva lot easier

HuskerRod
08-09-2017, 11:34 AM
I just renewed mine a week ago. I'm anxiously awaiting the dam to be completed and the water returning. I'm anticipating the next few spawns to be very healthy with all the brush that will be submerged. I'm sure it won't come close to Clear Lake, but Perris in 2019 and 2020 should turn some heads!

Be nice to get the old Lake Perris back filled up to full pool. I think the low water level has really taken a toll on the lake on the fishing front. Just imagine when it fills up and all that vegetation 20, 30, 40 feet down. I better start stocking up on tackle.

HuskerRod
08-09-2017, 11:36 AM
You have to have your boat inspected when you arrive. You can go to any bait shop or they do it at the state park. You get a monthly tag for $10-20. It is in the state park system , so the pass for Perris is accepted. If you camp, they make you pay a $5 launch fee, because the pass is for day use. If you stay elsewhere there are several free launches. I have launched out of Lakeport on 3rd or 5th street. You can float tube, ski, etc., but it is nothing like here. There was never more than 5 boats at the state park. You can go for miles without seeing another boat. It is a large lake , so the wind and waves can be an issue. We had 3 & 4 foot rollers in June, but it can be windy on one side of the lake and completely calm on another. That is why we have launched out of Lakeport in the past. There are also several river channels that are generally calm. It really is an amazing lake. I am seriously considering buying a house on the lake and retiring there. The last pic is the house I want. I sure it's several million. They do have houses starting at $200,000, and they have several mobile home parks with slips cheaper than you'd find here.5023550236502375023850239

Im not sure whats more impressive..your catches..or the scenery in the background. Trees ,docks for flipping, trees, shrubs, and more trees...with nothing but blue water.

MillsapBoyz
08-09-2017, 04:16 PM
Im not sure whats more impressive..your catches..or the scenery in the background. Trees ,docks for flipping, trees, shrubs, and more trees...with nothing but blue water.

The scenery attracts me as much as the fish. In the creek channels it's like the Louisiana Bayou complete with wild frog and bird noises, and some cotton like substance falling from the trees. Fifty percent or so of the lake is surrounded by tullies. There are docks, rock walls, trees, rivers, coves etc. I caught my fist ever frog fish in June. I forgot to mention there are literally thousands of Carp. There were so many jumping in one cove that a few hit the boat. I am hoping Perris improves too. I do decent during the spawn, but that's about it. I did mange a 7, 6, & 5 in one weekend in March. I will say the average fish at Perris is bigger than the one's we catch at Clear Lake. I know they are there at CL, but we haven't found them consistently. I'll see what other pics I can find to show more of the lake.

MillsapBoyz
08-09-2017, 04:42 PM
More pics of Clear Lake which is the largest natural lake in California at almost 70 square miles. The average depth is only 21 ft. with a max of 59.The dark pic is Rattlesnake Island complete with Rams,
wild boar, and of course snakes.50243502445024550246502475024850249

HuskerRod
08-09-2017, 05:20 PM
Wow..nice looking pics...even a catfish. What's lurking in the brush in the night time pic???

Natural Lefty
08-09-2017, 06:27 PM
HuskerRod, we in fact used our Poppy Pass to park for free at the State Park. However, as for their docks, people were not allowed to fish on them while we were there (at the state park). It wasn't necessary to fish from them in order to catch fish though (but it might have helped a bit). People were catching large Crappie between the docks and shore.

There are lots of public places to fish around Clear Lake. Also, Blue Lakes are very nearby. (I caught a nice trout from upper Blue Lake too.) There is a county park not far from the state park, but we didn't fish there. Some people told us about fishing for Crappie from the docks at Konocti Resort, for $10 per person. We didn't fish there, but it sounded excellent. There was a town called Lucerne which has a nice fishing pier that is free and open to the public. It was cold and rainy when we went there, but we saw a guy catch a Crappie on a goldfish there. (I think it would have been a lot better if the weather had been warmer.). There was also a nice little island that is open to the public on the northeast side of the lake, but I forget its name. We stayed at a place called Lake Marina Inn that we liked, which had its down fishing dock as well as fishing right below our room. I managed to catch a Bluegill there on a jig, but again, I think the weather hampered the fishing. Speaking of the Catfish tournament, the motel owner said something about contestants staying there and winning catches coming from there.

Natural Lefty
08-09-2017, 06:34 PM
Oh, in addition to catching several large Crappie at the state park in a couple of hours, I also caught a huge Goldfish there on a jig. LOL

MillsapBoyz
08-09-2017, 06:42 PM
Wow..nice looking pics...even a catfish. What's lurking in the brush in the night time pic???

It's a Ram. We saw a couple of boars too. Never saw a snake, but it's called Rattlesnake Island. A couple of houses on the island too.

HuskerRod
08-09-2017, 07:56 PM
You guys are killing me here......I need to get out there ASAP. But I may have to settle for next June. I got time off in November and December, but im not sure that is good bassinet or not

MillsapBoyz
08-09-2017, 08:26 PM
You guys are killing me here......I need to get out there ASAP. But I may have to settle for next June. I got time off in November and December, but im not sure that is good bassinet or not

From what I've seen and read it's good year round. Google Paul Bailey and Stoked on Fishing and you will find videos of them catching multiple fish 10 lbs. plus in December, but it was snowing. I actually first heard of Clear Lake on Stoked on Fishing. It took more than 122 lbs. to win the Bassmaster Elite at Clear Lake in 2007. As you can see, I did a massive amount of research before I went. I would probably suggest going in August if you can stand the heat. It is often 100+ in the summer. The fishing is good either month, but it was significantly better in August. We caught approximately 175 on a Craw colored Spro Rock Crawler in August before we lost both we had. I came straight home and bought 8 in various colors. The campground also closes during the winter months.

Natural Lefty
08-18-2017, 10:18 PM
So I went to Perris Lake late this afternoon, and the marina was completely closed off. I have never seen it like that before. The launch ramp parking lots are now connected with one way roads, and a ranger overseeing the traffic. I think another may have been overseeing the boats. There were boats coming in so I could not go fishing on the launch ramp docks either. I went to the Sail Cove pier but only the end was in the water, and a father and son were fishing for catfish from the end. I nevertheless fished from the sides for about an hour, and nothing bit. I finally went to the jet ski ramp area, but it was completely out of the water and there was thick vegetation all the way down to the lake. It was a complete bust. Does anybody know why the marina is closed? Is that only after the store closes? (It was around 6 p.m.) I suppose I should have asked the parking lot ranger, but I was dumbfounded by the changes. I don't think the fishing will be good at Perris again until after the water level is raised back up.

castle
08-26-2017, 07:15 AM
I hear ya Lefty, a complete waste of 10 dollars,bait, time, etc.

castle
08-26-2017, 07:17 AM
I hear ya Lefty, a complete waste of 10 dollars, bait, time, etc.

Natural Lefty
08-26-2017, 03:05 PM
One bit of "good news" relatively speaking, is that I found out from the weekly fishing report that the reason the marina was closed was only due to a power outage, so it was temporary. It was closed for 4 days.

rucker
09-09-2017, 12:59 AM
i see a lot of people that are having bad trips at perris! the bass are biting well im getting anywhere from 10 to 20 a trip depending how much work I'm willing to put in. also the stripper bite has picked up for the guys that no how an were to target them i no of a 15 an a 22 pounder caught in the last 2 weeks. the bluegill bite is good also for fish from three quarters to one in a half pound fish. you can get close to a limit on those guys. perris is good right now there is a morning top water bite that doesn't last long but is fun. i fish from a float tube a lot but some of the spots i fish i don't need a float tube to fish them. i think i read there going to blue stone the lake on the September 12th again! last time they did that it shuffled the fish around. i don't fish on the weekends so i don't no what that is like. but i never got kicked off the launch ramp docks. i normally put my tackle bag with my extra rods in the sand an stay out the way of the boats. like i said perris is good right now get out there an figure it out.

SumoNinja
10-04-2017, 05:58 PM
i see a lot of people that are having bad trips at perris! the bass are biting well im getting anywhere from 10 to 20 a trip depending how much work I'm willing to put in. also the stripper bite has picked up for the guys that no how an were to target them i no of a 15 an a 22 pounder caught in the last 2 weeks. the bluegill bite is good also for fish from three quarters to one in a half pound fish. you can get close to a limit on those guys. perris is good right now there is a morning top water bite that doesn't last long but is fun. i fish from a float tube a lot but some of the spots i fish i don't need a float tube to fish them. i think i read there going to blue stone the lake on the September 12th again! last time they did that it shuffled the fish around. i don't fish on the weekends so i don't no what that is like. but i never got kicked off the launch ramp docks. i normally put my tackle bag with my extra rods in the sand an stay out the way of the boats. like i said perris is good right now get out there an figure it out.

I agree

I've been catching bass at perris all summer.

SumoNinja
10-04-2017, 06:07 PM
Largemouth, spotted, bluegills and caught a flathead last week

NFCD I
10-05-2017, 08:46 AM

Doesn't a stringer through the LMB's gills make it hard for him to breathe?

SumoNinja
10-05-2017, 06:57 PM
Doesn't a stringer through the LMB's gills make it hard for him to breathe?

I'm pretty sure it sucks for the fish, but it dies faster that way instead of dragging it along all day breathing correctly

It went into my belly that night anyway so it doesn't really matter does it? If it makes you feel better though I released the next 3 I caught after that

CHUCKY
10-05-2017, 08:57 PM

Were you in a float tube? Way to get them dude. I had bass one time I thought it was terrible. Maybe it was cooked wrong. Idk. How did you cook those bass?

Natural Lefty
10-05-2017, 09:48 PM
I went to the marina docks late this afternoon/early evening, and the fishing was a little better than it has been there this year. I managed to catch an average size Bluegill (kept) and a small Bass (undersized and released) on worms, plus missed a few other bites. The fall months have always been one of the better times of the year for me to fish at Perris. I am still anxiously awaiting the completion of the dam renovation and refilling of the lake though.

I was the only person fishing there, except for the Kingfisher that kept begging me for fish and a Raccoon that was checking the shoreline. LOL

Natural Lefty
10-05-2017, 10:03 PM
SumoNinja, you caught that Flathead at Perris Lake? I have never heard of any in there and don't know how they would get there, other than perhaps from "bucket biologists." I don't think it gets Colorado River water, which is where the Flatheads are established. But I remember catching a Crappie when nobody knew that Perris Lake had them, or when we started catching LMB when people insisted that it was a Spotted Bass only lake, and me catching small Striped Bass a few years ago when they were mostly rumors at that stage, so new species keep getting into there. However, the Crappie, LMB and Striped Bass are all present in Silverwood Lake, which supplies the water to Perris Lake, so they always figured to get in there eventually.

The first "Bluegill" in your photos has the coloration and appearance of a Redear Sunfish, actually, by the way.

fishmounter
10-05-2017, 11:21 PM
Natural Lefty… Yes there are some Flathead Catfish in the lake. I have seen a few caught. There may have been a few in the Channel Catfish stocking a while back. Diamond Valley has some too. There are even some in my local park, Fairmount. And yes that fish in the photo is indeed a Redear Sunfish.

Brent
10-06-2017, 11:23 AM
I have been to Clear Lake twice in June, and it was solid, but my son and I went last August and caught 252!!! We have caught a 12 lb. Cat (on a Senko), Crappie, and Bluegill, but mostly bass. Went to Shasta a couple of days this past July and caught 20 + a day, almost all Smallies. It was good, but it's no Clear Lake. I do not fish for Crappie per se, but the guy at the local bait shop told me that there are 5,000 + a week pulled out during spawning season during I believe March. We were marking schools of what I believe were Crappie in June this year, and they were schools of several hundred if not more. My son caught several using a white spinner bait. It's crazy that we come home and get skunked at DVL. Caught 3 last week at Perris before the lake lice ran us out.

That pretty much sums up a lot of the lack of reports as well. No fish equals no reports. Most people won't report on crappy days and will only tell or show what they caught when they do report.

Natural Lefty
10-06-2017, 12:00 PM
Yes, Brent. I think lack of success equates to lack of reports too. That's why I mentioned how unusually poor Lake Perris has been for me and those I have observed this year from docks, piers or shore, and my modest catches such as yesterday's. I do believe these good reports, but these are probably people who have been fishing Perris a lot this year, from boats or float tubes, so they know where the fish are and what is working, and even at that, they probably don't mention when their results are poor. I remember when lots of kids were catching their first fish there, and people on docks or shore were regularly pulling in fish, myself included. I am not seeing that these past few years, although there are still a lot of good fish in the lake, somewhere.

castle
10-07-2017, 03:54 AM
I have not caught a decent fish from shore at Perris since 2014. This season I decided to pass on any trips there for that reason. Whenever they refill the lake it may return to its past glory days.

Misfitdog
10-07-2017, 05:52 PM
there is actually quite a few flathead catfish in Perris and a ton in DVL .. I saw Sumoninja up there that day as I was tubing the same area last week .. As far as keeping the bass it is not bad and it is your right too keep 2 LMB . Looking at it from a scientific point of view keeping the 15-16" bass is not a huge problem as they over compete with the larger bass for food , thus stunting or slowing growth rates .. Perris would benefit like the older days when the water was higher and go back to the 12" / 5 fish limit to elevate some of the pressure on the larger models . The bass spawn over the last few years from what I have seen has been huge and it would be in no way harmful to the bass population in there to make that change again . Would love too see it back like the glory days in Perris where catching larger model bass was a thing on the regular .

Way to go on that kitty Sumoninja and the panfish