PDA

View Full Version : Any evening topwater action yet?

carpanglerdude
07-25-2017, 09:14 PM
Getting to be the that time where I get the itch to throw topwaters at the 'wood dawn or dusk. Much action out there yet? Not planning on keeping any.

seal
07-26-2017, 08:40 AM
Some boils spotted early AM but I think consistent topwater is 3 or so weeks from starting.

sealclubber
07-27-2017, 12:08 PM
I haven't seen a boil since Jan!
Yeah I have the itch too.

seal
07-28-2017, 08:27 AM
Well boils are happening but fish size = dinks. The bait size is still small so still a ways out from the larger fish coming up consistently.

parkermann2
07-29-2017, 07:08 AM
When they start boiling more consistently do they tend to boil on certain moon phases more than others?

seal
07-29-2017, 10:03 AM
Yes and no. Just when you think you know when they will boil they don't. Right now since bait size is so small late afternoon to early evening hours are when you will probably see the boils, now when the water cools and the bait grows larger and the bigger fish start feeding more on top then very early morning and just before dark are the most productive. Very little shad population makes the boils at Silverwood a little different than that of other lakes. I fish Mead often and the boils will last sometimes most of the day, shad can be open water fish so the stripers will chase them around most of the day and the boils are more aggressive than say the silverside type boils that you see more of these days at Silverwood.

Sure wish they would get some shad back in the lake, I know they come in via the aquaduct but for some reason they are having a difficult time re-establishing their population.

parkermann2
07-30-2017, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the info seal. I haven't fished the lake that much in the past year or two. Not like I used to. we caught a lot of fish but never really figured out patterns. Just when you thought you figured them out they would do something different.

DarkShadow
07-31-2017, 10:24 AM
Yes and no. Just when you think you know when they will boil they don't.

Leave it to strippers to be inconsistent and flaky.

Brent
07-31-2017, 03:04 PM
Leave it to strippers to be inconsistent and flaky.

I don't really like boils on my strippers anyway.

seal
08-02-2017, 09:50 AM
Last night first cast on Sammy nice size schoolie thought maybe it was time, only one more burp for the rest of the night, typical stripper tease.

DarkShadow
08-02-2017, 09:56 AM
...typical stripper tease.

Maybe they thought your equipment was less than adequate?

:Cool:

carpanglerdude
08-02-2017, 10:42 AM
Last night first cast on Sammy nice size schoolie thought maybe it was time, only one more burp for the rest of the night, typical stripper tease.

Heh, I couldn't resist going as well.

2 on subsurface lures, small fish. One even smaller fish on a large Sammy-like lure. Then, the kicker - a 21 incher on topwater in the dark. Nice way to wrap up a trip. Water was like glass, great conditions, very little wind and quite a few boils.

seal
08-03-2017, 09:48 AM
Heh, I couldn't resist going as well.

2 on subsurface lures, small fish. One even smaller fish on a large Sammy-like lure. Then, the kicker - a 21 incher on topwater in the dark. Nice way to wrap up a trip. Water was like glass, great conditions, very little wind and quite a few boils.

Yea the 8" to 10" fish have been boiling, or more like slurping, up the very small bait and have been seen in many locations but the larger models are still not coming up much yet, think water needs to cool down some more for their comfort level.