PDA

View Full Version : Balboa Pier/Honey Hole

zZaNg
10-20-2007, 05:24 AM
Shy_Boxer/Efekt/zZaNg hit up Balboa Pier at around 9pm. Got our lines/hoops in by 9:10. Wide open on Macks. Did that for a little while, and just watched our baited rods. The three of us caught around 20 macks, 1 thornback ray, and a starfish. I caught 3 little baby crab and a small sculpin on the hoop net. Hit up the honey hole and was time for bait and wait. It was very slow there today and no bites or anything til we were about to leave. Had my rod in a secure spot and right when i say to Shy_boxer, "hey this place sucks!!!" my rod goes bendo and drag starts peeling while it is still secured on the ground. I'm thinking "what the f**k? i didnt put my drag loose" and get to my rod and pick it up. I'm holding the rod now and it's been peeling drag for around 20 seconds. I'm thinking f**k... tighten my drag and start pumping this thing in slowly. While pumping, it's still taking line every few pumps. Finally get it to me and it's a bat ray! Big *** One. We all see the ray and he turns his head and starts running again, takes line for about 1 second and line snaps. Good, i didnt want to touch him anyway. Funny thing is, I've been telling Efekt, "i wanna hook into a big bat ray so i can have a good fight", and i got it :D. Was one helluva fight, I got Shy_Boxer and Efekt as witnesses. Excitement and Adrenaline all over while i was fighting it. I love fishing...

my Setup i caught it on
Shimano Clarus 7' MH
Shimano Sedona 4000FB
10lb test Pline Fluoroclear

-my rod was bent in a U shape while fighting the fish.

pics from Balboa pier will come later since im too lazy to post them right now.

Hawkeye5447
10-20-2007, 09:59 AM
Sounds like a good time.

spitbreaker
10-20-2007, 11:17 AM
the mack are back i going down there maybe today or be at redondo beach thanks info.

shy_boxer
10-20-2007, 01:09 PM
Yeah, it was a good time hooking up onto something. Lately the bite for me has been real slow. Stripage at CRP last outing :twisted: . WFO on macks. :banana: Yay, free catfish bait. :banana: Zzang that bat ray was awesome. Peeled your drag like this :shock: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZang. :D Your rod was in full bendo mode. It kinda suprised me how hard it hit your squid. We should of took a pic of the bendo action. Dang, my heart was pumping. WTG and I told you that spot produces :secret: , don't doubt yoda, kigga! Efekt, thanks for driving, bro! :wink:

S_B

ghetto dad
10-20-2007, 03:37 PM
great report zzzzzzzzzzzang....i bet those crabs were tasty, huh......

one_leg
10-20-2007, 05:31 PM
At least you got to see yours. I was not so lucky. Too big I think. Congrats.

One_Leg

ghetto dad
10-20-2007, 06:53 PM
At least you got to see yours. I was not so lucky. Too big I think. Congrats.

One_Leg
lol....you werent lucky enuf to see your crabs alan???

sansou
10-20-2007, 10:17 PM
Congrats on your first batray!

It's a tough decision to not rip it open, and gobble down the heart.....I mean with all the tourists that usually hang around on the pier, it could really cause a scene. On the other hand, not eating your first batray heart might mean being skunked for approximately 2 to 3 fishing seasons (verdict is still not out among experts on how long).

BupkAngler
10-21-2007, 03:18 AM
.......thnx for the invite :( .....

zZaNg
10-21-2007, 07:39 AM
.......thnx for the invite :( .....
man i texted your girl and told her to tell you to call me by 5pm and i guess she didnt tell you jack. aint my fault foo.

Congrats on your first batray!

It's a tough decision to not rip it open, and gobble down the heart.....I mean with all the tourists that usually hang around on the pier, it could really cause a scene. On the other hand, not eating your first batray heart might mean being skunked for approximately 2 to 3 fishing seasons (verdict is still not out among experts on how long).

lol that wasnt my first batray but it was the biggest i've caught.
-oh yea, it wasnt at the pier either lol.

Troutman65
10-27-2007, 07:32 AM
Congrats zZaNg on your catch bro.

Thanks for the report.

TM65

troutdog
10-27-2007, 01:00 PM
Sounds like a fun evening of fishing, pier fishing always seems to yield a few fish....macks or not it is all good! Thanks for the report and info.

TD